Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moderators..

This is a discussion on Moderators.. within the Speak to the staff forums, part of the Website news category; Hi, I have made a few posts on here and noticed a few of you are always patiently helpin people. ...

garyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peterborough Central
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Moderators..

Hi,
      I have made a few posts on here and noticed a few of you are always patiently helpin people. What backgrounds have you got with Sky [if any], and why spend so much time with no return? Its great to see by the way & I know you have helped 100s in this sticky period with Sky rollout.

Hats off to you...

G

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi Gary

We have purposely chosen moderators from the members that have applied to be moderators when we have posted asking for volunteers.

All of the current moderators we have, do a great job and were selected on:

1) Their request to join as a mod

2) Their helpfulness in our eyes

3) Their ability to help people

etc etc

We have made it a site policy that no Sky / Easynet member can become a moderator, in the interest of staying unofficial. This way we cannot be driven by Sky.

All of the decisions that the mods make are respected by us and we do "all" constantly keep each other informed of progress etc in a Moderator/Admin forum.

We are always looking for moderators and currently have a waiting list of about 6 members who have expressed an interest.

On behalf of myself and Satdish, we feel that we have a great team, all with differing levels of knowledge, which just works.

None of us have any affiliation / connection with Sky or Easynet and that is the way it will always be staff wise.

Long term our aims are to have Sky and Easynet as a part of our site, also helping their own customers, our members.

We have 2 moderators from Freedom2Support Akita and AOS101, both of these friends, we have known for a long time and they fit in with us naturally.

The reason we do it?

Personnally speaking I like to help people and spend hours on this site and others like ADSLG and Plusnetters it's just something Glenn (Satdish) and I wanted to do, help Sky Users.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-10-06 at 01:59 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      But we really shouldnt need alot of Mods... As we should really have freedoms on here.. We all help each other and get along... Just what an online community should be like!

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Our original plans were to have one mod for every 50 members, which would have meant that we have 35.14 mods

However, we have suspended recruiting new moderators because like you say, everyone is self moderating anyway.

The only thing that we ask is that people stay within our rules and then the mods have an easy life.

We do not mind whatsoever sounding off posts, as this gives us and Sky a true reflection of what their service is really like. We do mind though when people launch personal attacks and swear. (this is where we draw the line)

For this reason, we have purposely not implemented the swear filter on the software we use, as tbh its very few and far between. We understand people get upset when something goes wrong, and as long as the gripe is genuine and constructively posted, as far as we are concerned the post can stay.

Thankfully the members that have joined us have respected our wishes and we are happy with the balance that we have.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good for you & the other mods mate, it is appreciated. I manage 32 remote VPN users [pipex], who I now may migrate to SkyBB purely because of your help. Dont wanna get down on Sky because I know its teething problems, but really, you have restored faith in Sky, for me any many others.

I know the same questions keep appearing, but given time hopefully these will resolve themselves. I will keep reading and where possible answer as good as I can without steppin on anyone's toes..

Thanx

G

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Sky have many issues, like you say, they are teething troubles, what they have achieved is outstanding, but not perfect.

The major problem imho, they have let themselves down in communication. We do have chats with Sky / Easynet staff, however we are limited to what we can and can't announce, as we fully respect they are subject to NDA's and cannot give away trade secrets or commercially sensitive information.

We fully understand that Sky will be hesitant, but wish that they would keep people informed of the state of play. Here is the ideal starting place. This however may come with time.

In the meantime, this site is only as good as its members and the input that is given, along with the help that is taken. As long as we can maintain what we have, this site should hopefully benefit all of Sky's broadband customers, that may or may not need help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

True, they know you are here, because I quoted your site on the blower tonight to Tier 3 and he laughed. [Alex]. Pipex had the very same problems when I first joined them, but they sorted it out after the rush died down.

Sorry to pry, but back to my original point, is it possible you could say what your techincal expericence is with ADSL/Wireless/Sky. Not a copper but just amazed that people can devote time like this...If not no worries...

G

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Hi Gary and thanks for the kind words. I am not sure if you were asking about all of us or maybe just the founders, but I will happily answer for myself.

I had never had ADSL, before I signed up for Sky, I was a cable girl for many years. I had SKy tv though, so it seemed like a good money saver!
      So everything I have learnt has been from here and through my own research to help answer mine and others questions. I am far from an expert, but have found that if you are wiling to search around most answers can be found somewhere on the web! Google is your friend!
      My job involves a lot of internet research and I enjoy finding solutions and resolving problems. I pop in from work, but as a mum of a young daughter, I do not get out much in the evenings, so I spend most nights on my pc.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      Everyone on this site seems to get on quite nicely. I have never had to delete a post or give anyone an infraction, probably because I'm not on as often as I should be but it's more likely because no one really causes any hassel.