Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Skyuser.co.uk - Unofficial or official?

This is a discussion on Skyuser.co.uk - Unofficial or official? within the Speak to the staff forums, part of the Website news category; No more blood left Smokie, if Sky want access to the forum they can ask for the password and read ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      No more blood left Smokie, if Sky want access to the forum they can ask for the password and read whats in there.

If they then decide to act on that information, they can credit you guys

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      visable password locked forum?
      you send email get an auto reply with password in that way you are activly seeking access into the forum and agreeing to the disclamer we will put in place
      Sounds good to me

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @dingdong
      The two things are totally different, swearing or whatever is unneccessary and contributes nothing - the other apect has a contribution
      Now your splitting hairs and you know it, if you allow one rule to be broken then you may as well let them all be broken. If you had or have looked in the admin forums you would have seen that I agreed to let the thread about the NM stand as long as we got to see the link first and I did PM Saturday for it and did eventually get it.

@Saturday
      @wheelie

It's the same as the law.

If you question a law you think is wrong/stupid, you're not saying all laws are wrong/stupid are you?
      What are you talking about I haven't said anything about laws being wrong or stupid as I recall everyone involved in this post is up in arms about a rule they don't agree with not me.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @wheelie quote: Now your splitting hairs and you know it...

I'm not splitting hairs at all so no i don't know it. The 2 things are vastly different. I'm not suggesting any rules be broken - i'm suggesting change which has happened

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by smokie View Post
      ...its has been proved that its a firmware problem...
      It has been proposed that this is the case, but IMHO, it hasn't been proved. There's plenty of anecdote out there but bear in mind that people that use netgear's fw and notice no tangible improvement probably won't post the result. So, you're not starting with a valid sample from the population from which to draw sound conclusions. For example, my anecdote is that there is no improvment with the normal netgear firmware. An analysis thus far of the actual code differences would seem confirm that.

It's more likely that the problems are a symptom of the fact that the implementations of the ADSL2+ protocol on most routers are in general immature, the dg834gt included and they'll improve over time. (EDIT: The chipset is a good one however, so maybe it is the firmware after all in which case its all firmwares om this router.) I think that this is the problem with forcing people to use this router whatever the firmware, and why it would be useful to know how to use a different router even though that would breach the contract. My questions to the moderators is: would such a conversation on the "hidden techies" forum (i.e. how to use a different router?) be censored?
      Last edited by mossywell; 29-09-06 at 12:24 AM.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      @ dingdong, forgot to tell you there is a 10.00 fee to gain access so we can remove the adverts

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

stevem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCHES
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      @ NewsreadeR

Sounds an eminently sensible suggestion and one used on another forum I admin. There is stuff i'd like to discuss but wouldn't like to see it in a public forum as none of us need the "I did it because the man on the interweb told me" situation.

The design of the SkyBB service is that it's plug & p[l|r]ay and for 99.9% of those signed up ( like my old man ) the closest they need to get to the router is powering it on .. believe me it's a lot safer for all concerned if that is the case ....

Steve

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      RE: would such a conversation on the "hidden techies" forum (i.e. how to use a different router?) be censored?

I would certainly hope not. This information is already well publicised anyway so i doubt if it would get much of a mention anyway - maybe the odd newbie that needed a link reference

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      @ dingdong, forgot to tell you there is a 10.00 fee to gain access so we can remove the adverts
      What makes you think i want to enter such a forum anyway I'm just advocating the right to do so

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      My questions to the moderators is: would such a conversation on the "hidden techies" forum (i.e. how to use a different router?) be censored?
      If the discussion stays in that forum and is not repeated elsewhere on the general forums we will not censor it.

This works both ways, if you abuse the trust we are giving you we will pull the plug. period

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast