Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Skyuser.co.uk - Unofficial or official?

This is a discussion on Skyuser.co.uk - Unofficial or official? within the Speak to the staff forums, part of the Website news category; Originally Posted by WiBu I'm assuming you're talking about the URL "hack"? Anyway, if you allowed the discussion about it ...

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by WiBu View Post
      I'm assuming you're talking about the URL "hack"? Anyway, if you allowed the discussion about it it would be helping users of SkyBB and would end up making the community more helpful. Also, if you allowed the discussion of hacking or whatever, you wouldn't get "if i do this i read on the other forums will it make my speed faster" since there would already be an existing thread(s) for such questions.
      there is existing threads on other forums and we talking about ANY hack go to digital spy and do a search,

the trouble with discussions are people tend to put

"i fixed my router by doing blah blah blah"

why cant they put

"i found a thread (pm me for link) on how to fix the router but it does break Sky's T&C's"

we would never have a problem with that, people just don't think, if it was a discussion thread like the second example i put that would be fine people could post things like..
      "yup great worked for me"
      "i don't think you should do it, it breaks Sky's T&C and you could break router"
      "i don't care it worked though"

a bit of forethought stops a lot of aggravation from all sides

P.S. the other thread about router hacking on this forum was never deleted
      "To help would be a great adventure"

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @WiBu

If anyone wants to go to another forum or website to get the info required to do these things that fine.

What this forum is all about is helping people and since the bulk of them are novices the last thing any of them need is information that could make there situation ever worse, were they to see such posts on here they would assume that its ok for them to do it and should they mess up there would be all hell to pay for it and as such for that reason and the for the SkyBB T&C the site owners have said such talking is not allowed and unless they change their minds thats just how it will stay.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      And unless I'm mistaken aren't you breaching your own forum rule by being just as rude and insulting to a forum member? Not exactly the best example for other forum members to take on board now is it?
      how was i rude..?

there seems to be a small minority on here most of whom has just signed up and jumps straight in with accusations and non constructive threads like Ive said before discuss it yes but without any links to any hacking threads search functions, pm's, emails exist to help you guide people to the right places,

i have read your thread's/site Jose about the router and yes it can/will help alot of people but to someone technologically challenged it could end up completely buggering up there router then they would come back and say

"i done what your site said to do and i had no internet for a week"

we just don't want that on these forums

smokie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      well this is fun
      as a person who has a thread deleted yes i fixed my spare router not my sky one thats in the box and will stay there to sky can fix the problem
      and not had one problem since
      but the other router is mine to do as i please thats my choice i come here for info on sky broadband what i do with that information is down to me im a big boy now

i feel its the same with all the other answers for router problems change to 108,turn off pnp etc etc the information is there for people to make there own choice

i still think the site is good but i want it to be ask the forum not ask the mod

Jose Cardoso Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      how was i rude..?
      Quote Originally Posted by SatDish
      B. there is more technical competence in the mods on this forum then there is in your little finger
      In my opinion it was far ruder than Richard's original post. Or did I misinterpret the meaning behind your bullet point B?

there seems to be a small minority on here most of whom has just signed up and jumps straight in with accusations and non constructive threads
      Your opinion. I find this site quite useful in general if you ignore the hypocrisy in places.

but to someone technologically challenged it could end up completely buggering up there router
      Please don't make me laugh. Anyone tinkering with the URL injection hacks or the Telnet server only needs to reboot or reset their router to undo anything they have done. Or if that doesn't work they could just reset their firmware back to Sky's botch job as included on the CD using the technique described in your very own forum.
      Last edited by Jose Cardoso; 28-09-06 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Re-read your own post. In my opinion it was far ruder than Richard's original post. Or did I misinterpret the meaning behind your bullet point B?
      yes your right that was out of order will edit

Your opinion. I find this site quite useful in general if you ignore the hypocrisy in places.
      theres a talk to the staff forum to discuss any worries about the site not rant and rave.

your last point, what if they didnt know about the non deleted thread and did manage to make there router not connect and didnt know how to reset/flash back may sound silly but could happen

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by smokie View Post
      i still think the site is good but i want it to be ask the forum not ask the mod
      I wish i'd have said that

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      As such not wanting to be an unpaid spokeperson on Sky's behalf - which is what i feel i have become - I hearby resign as a moderator. I will pop in now and again to see how things are going but apart from that i bid you all farewell
      Thank you for your help anyway Dingdong, but you got it so wrong, we aint here to make money.

for what its worth we were trying to get a joint decision on whether the link could stay or go, which surprises me, why you hastily made that decision.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I just feel annoyed when you are censoring the very information that enabled me to stay with sky. If it wasn't for that information on this website i would have cancelled my sky long ago.

As it is, I use my sky router when it works and revert to my own when it doesn't. If sky have a problem with this then let then come out of the woodwork and say it or provide me with a router software that works all the time.

We also have a guy on here called SkyTechnicalSupport but i have yet to hear anything from him/her that your couldn't hear by phoning the 1st tear (and no it is not a spelling mistake :-) )support at sky. You say sky are aware of this forum and visit it - how about them giving us information about their router they send out - are they aware of the problem people are having and would they rather stick by their t&c's by the letter and loose people or are they happy for people to sort themselves out while the problem exists and until it is fixed - this is the answer i would like to hear from sky.
      Last edited by dingdong; 28-09-06 at 09:04 PM.

Jose Cardoso Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      yes your right that was out of order will edit
      Glad to hear it.

theres a talk to the staff forum to discuss any worries about the site not rant and rave.
      I'm not ranting and raving. I'm responding to valid points raised by others that haven't been adequately answered. That said, I'll be sure to use that area of the forum in future.

your last point, what if they didnt know about the non deleted thread and did manage to make there router not connect and didnt know how to reset/flash back may sound silly but could happen
      It could. But then by your logic earlier in this thread they may have already found that information out on other forums where the information hadn't been censored and the decision left to the user to do what they wanted to do with their own hardware be it against Sky T&C's.

I'm not here to have a go or a rant (as you put it). I'm just asking that these topics be sensibly discussed. As NewsreadeR put it in another thread, if Sky aren't happy with the topics being discussed, leave it to them to say so. Don't go making assumptions for them. The information in this forum and others is extremely useful and should be shared for all Sky Broadband users to see given that a lot of it is already in the public domain anyway.
      Last edited by Jose Cardoso; 28-09-06 at 09:06 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast