Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

taken in

This is a discussion on taken in within the Speak to the staff forums, part of the Website news category; Hi everyone I'm a bit annoyed as I have been taken in but the Sky Digital Warranty.I paid by my ...

DennyGirl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Unhappy taken in

Hi everyone
      I'm a bit annoyed as I have been taken in but the Sky Digital Warranty.I paid by my bank card and the payment has already been taken out 59.99.The offer was pay 12 month and 15 month warranty.I fully believed i was talking to Sky.I even ask him what about my excisting Direct debt he said just cancel.I wentinto my bank statements and realised I had already renewed my Warrenty automaticly with sky.So i I phoned sky and they said they already knew about it.it seems everyone did except me.So I phone Sky Digtal warrenty and a woman gave me an e-mail for refund.I sent 2 e-mails without no reply.I have 1 week before my warrenty becomes active.
      I think my next move is to put it in writing but not sure where to send it.The service office in liverpool or the registered office in london.I wish Sky had made me aware of this company as I have been with them for many years.Any 1 got any idea's please.
      Denny

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: taken in

I really dont know what you can do to be honest.

If it was paid by DDI, then you could invoke the DDI guarantee.

As it is less than 100 and also paid by bank card as opposed to credit card, then your only course of action is continue to pursue the company. Failing that you could try Trading Standards Office as you feel you were duped.

YOu may want to have a read through the threads listed here for some help:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/searc...RID%3A11&hl=en

I'm not sure what Sky could really do.... i do believe they have actually posted on here re other rogue companies that try similar tactics. It's a tough one for sky to combat as these companies just continue to regenerate themselves in different forms.

I know that isn't much consolation. Maybe one of the other forum members may have some advice.

(btw, in case you wondered, this site isn't Sky).

Thanks

Many thanx for yr reply.
      I found out it was on watch dog in March and was taken to court.Now it's changed names but doing the same thing.i guess I need to report it to watch dog again
      Denny

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I'm no expert but you are probably covered by the Distance Selling Regulations and can cancel (sorry I don't know the time limit). Try your local citizens advice people. And write immediately to both address's you know of. Send recorded delivery so they have to sign for it.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

oh the poster defo has the right to cancel (distance selling or cooling off), but companies like this drag out the process and don't respond hoping that people just write the money off and give in.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Was it a Visa Debit or Switch/Maestro card..

With Visa Debit you should be able to contact your bank and ask for a Chargeback for this.

I didn't know this was possible myself until working lunch on the BBc mentioned it for Exel customers who were stung by the airline going south.

Also I would be tempted to phone my back and claim fraud. State that you were mis-sold an item by a company who claimed to be SKy and on further investigation you have found out that this is not the case. Detail what oyu have done to get your money back but I would try shouting fraud. Your bank may cancel your card etc but usually shouting this makes them sit up.

I have sugested this before to people and it has worked.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I would also inform Sky themselves, they will not be able to help you but they should be interested in the details and the name of the company involved.

Thanks

Hi thanx everyone for your advise.I have phoned sky.I was told they knew about this company.I found out it was on Watch Dog last march.they have now changed the name but still doing the same practise.I have today wrote a letter with help from Watch dog complaints which I down loaded and changed some of the wording to accommodate my complaint.Quoting distance Selling Regulations and sending recorded delivery(1week cooling off period).I will also try the bank see what they say.So many thanx again.Good advise by all.i will let you know the out come so watch this space lol.Denny