Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this in the right forum?

This is a discussion on Is this in the right forum? within the Speak to the staff forums, part of the Website news category; Shouldn't this Offer be in the offer forum ? Cashback and Offers for our Members...

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is this in the right forum?

Shouldn't this Offer be in the offer forum ?
      Cashback and Offers for our Members
      adslnation

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: run-IT-direct ADSL Products - 10% off for SkyUser Members

Yes and no, more people read this forum, and therefore I feel it would be more beneficial to our members, and reach a wider audience.

You could always do a similar offer

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We don't do offers, personally I think offers just mean the price something should have been sold at in the first place. For example Carpet Right they always have 50 or 60% off their carpets. So why not just sell the carpet at that price in the first place ?

If a company can afford to offer an item at a certain price then they should simply sell it at that price in the first place. Note this is not a stab at run-IT-direct it is a general comment about how discounts are just marketing gimmicks. The other one is price match policies, I never buy from a shop that offers to match another shops price, I buy it from the shop that advertises the lower price in the first place as I feel they deserve the business for selling it at a more sensible price in the first place.

So with those personal opinions in mind it is no surprise that our company is run on the basis of offering products at a reasonable price in the first place without any advertising gimmicks.

For comparison lets take the cost of buying an NTE-5 socket for example

run-IT-direct - 9.39-10%=8.45 + 4.50 delivery = 12.95
      ADSL Nation - 5.99 (Full Price) + 1.50 delivery = 7.49

Both products offered are identical made by Pressac.
      Last edited by adslnation; 18-07-08 at 05:26 PM.
      adslnation

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you have a problem with the way we run this site, or any decisions we make, I really don't think you should be doing it in the open. Both of you are companies, both of which sell products, and both of which should not be getting free advertising on our forums.

In the past we have always turned a blind eye to this as *WE* thought we would be helping our members. If you wish us to apply the rules and enforce our own rules of:

Advertising Services

We do not allow people to post threads or to send private messages or emails to users here that advertise or solicit any products or services. Explicit advertising and solicitating in sigs is also prohibited.

We do not allow anyone using referral links in their sigs, and retain the right to suspend or remove said adverts.

Links in Sigs

Links in signatures must follow these guidelines:

* Promotional text for a commercial product or service is ok, provided there are no price(s) of product(s) or service(s) listed. No URL's are allowed.
      * A link and promotional text for a site that is not commercial and does not contain product(s) and/or service(s) is allowed, provided the site is not sexual or does not violate Skyuser.co.uk community standards. The Skyuser.co.uk team shall be the sole arbitrator of what does and what does not violate community standards. (Examples include sites about drugs and/or sex.)
      * Duplicate links to the same URL in a sig are not allowed.
      *WE* are happy to do so.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Which is why we contacted the forum to see if we could come to an arrangement, we get advertising in return for a 10% discount to forum members so the forum benefits. Nothing to do with marketing gimmicks etc, as for " I always buy from the cheapest shop" well that is your decision, we have NEVER claimed to be the cheapest & nevre will be but what we will do is ship out goods same day, give free advice etc, were here to stay not to make a quick buck.You can get NTE5's MUCH cheaper off eBay for example that are BT Openreach branded-BT engineers don't pay for their own stock, you and I both know only BT can get Openreach branded NTE5's. The number of customers we have suggests cheapest is not always best, that is the customers decision.
      Last edited by RUNITDIRECT; 18-07-08 at 05:36 PM.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Which is why we contacted the forum to see if we could come to an arrangement, we get advertising in return for a 10% discount to forum members so the forum benefits.
      Which is something we have now authorised Dave, and have no issues with whatsoever.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      If you have a problem with the way we run this site, or any decisions we make, I really don't think you should be doing it in the open. Both of you are companies, both of which sell products, and both of which should not be getting free advertising on our forums.

In the past we have always turned a blind eye to this as *WE* thought we would be helping our members. If you wish us to apply the rules and enforce our own rules of:

*WE* are happy to do so.
      Woah, hold on a second how did you get from my general comment about how discounts are marketing gimmicks to it being a problem with how you run the site. You suggested in the forum that perhaps we should offer a similar deal and I offered an explanation as to why we have never made such an offer in response to your requests and pointed out that we don't do any offers for any sites not just singling out skyser forum.

We have never made any commercial comments on here, in fact I only joined here because sky user admins contacted us telling us that our products were a popular source of discussion and I joined up to answer the occasional technical question. I have never done anything other then answer the occasional technical question about wiring etc. So I don't know why I seem to have triggered that response.
      adslnation

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Which is something we have now authorised Dave, and have no issues with whatsoever.
      As i said, hopefully of mutual benefit. ps, i used to work for Sky many moons ago!! Wonder if i still have my training manuals
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adslnation View Post
      Woah, hold on a second how did you get from my general comment about how discounts are marketing gimmicks to it being a problem with how you run the site.
      Quite simply the comment,

Shouldn't this Offer be in the offer forum ?
      Cashback and Offers for our Members
      And then this:

So with those personal opinions in mind it is no surprise that our company is run on the basis of offering products at a reasonable price in the first place without any advertising gimmicks.
      In my eyes, that pretty much sums up that you think the offer that we have stickied, is an advertising gimmick. In fact you then went on to do a direct comparison of two products, that both of your companies sell, of which it would seem that your company is physically cheaper on this occasion, with a direct link to your website, knowing your offer may be more attractive.

The cynic in myself would see the real reason for that, would be to point out that you are indeed cheaper on that item, and knowing people's perception of a bargain, would lead you to win the potential sale. However, a quick Google on the same item shows me that you are both in fact dearer.

The beauty about the internet, all the information is there ready for people to harvest, we simply negotiated an offer, for a discount, for our members, and then publicised it on here. People are welcome to take advantage of this offer or choose not to do so, we have just given people a choice, of which they are more than capable of making their own decision to take advantage of.

in fact I only joined here because sky user admins contacted us telling us that our products were a popular source of discussion
      I have contacted you on several occasions, to let you know that the buzz about your company was good, and I have even pointed out times when the opposite is true.

Would it be fair to say, that you have infact had sales from our members, or links from here?

In which case, you would be in a position to affirm that we have never asked you for a penny from our indirect advertising, effectively giving you free advertising on Sky User. In fact we have to the best of my knowledge asked you to provide a discount for our members, of which you have declined twice.

I personally find it amazing, that we have struck a deal, and that you have completely decimated a thread that we started, just because he is a competitor.

And for absolute clarity, we do not expect, or have even asked for any commission to be given to us a site, this was something we wanted to give to our members as a value added extra.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well it seems this has opened a whole can of worms, that I wasn't expecting. I simply replied to the initial post suggesting it was in the wrong forum because I monitor this one via RSS and it is the first offer I have seen in here and thought it was a mistake. Seeing as for example Tamar Communications were offering a similar deal of 10% off but that was put in the other forum not this one.

Quite simply the comment,

In my eyes, that pretty much sums up that you think the offer that we have stickied, is an advertising gimmick.
      Well I guess in a way you are correct, I think that all discounts are advertising gimmicks. I'm sorry that seems to have struck a chord with you. I was simply replying to your suggestion that we made a similar offer making it clear why we don't do such offers. I wouldn't have even mentioned it if you hadn't put in your post the suggestion.

The cynic in myself would see the real reason for that, would be to point out that you are indeed cheaper on that item.
      I can understand your cynicism but I chose that one item as it was the only one on that list that was easy to do a Direct comparison as we no longer sell the old Pressac faceplates we only sell our own design it was not possible to do a direct apple for apple comparison on the other items listed. Perhaps I could have better illustrated my point by simply taking two unrelated products. My point is simply why if I could buy a 500G pack of Kellogg's cornflakes from Tesco for 1.99 or 2.99 from ASDA but get 10% then the ADSA discount offer is nothing but a gimmick as Tesco is the better deal without making a point about it. Of course Tesco could always put their price up to 2.99 and offer a 10% discount, it might seem like a good deal but it would in fact be worse. Hence why I think discounts are a gimmick.

Would it be fair to say, that you have infact had sales from our members, or links from here?
      Yes it would be fair to say that members have bought our products as a result of what people have said in this forum.

In which case, you would be in a position to affirm that we have never asked you for a penny from our indirect advertising, effectively giving you free advertising on Sky User. In fact we have to the best of my knowledge asked you to provide a discount for our members, of which you have declined twice.
      I can confirm that you have never asked for a commission and you have both offered to sell advertising to us and offer your members a discount on at least two occasions that we declined. The comment in your post I took as a suggestion that we should offer such a scheme and I decided to make it clear to all why we don't participate in such promotions. However I would disagree that it is free advertising as you are running a community site here and it is the members of the community who have been sharing their experiences with others, and many products and suppliers have been discussed and received orders such as Solwise and Clarity for example. By your suggestion we are receiving free advertising on many forums and usenet as people are discussing our products there also. What is happening is simply people sharing by word-of-mouth no advertising or promotion is going on.

I personally find it amazing, that we have struck a deal, and that you have completely decimated a thread that we started, just because he is a competitor.
      Well yes he is a competitor of sorts, the difference being that we are a manufacturer rather than just retailing the Pressac products and therfore our products can be bought from places other than us direct, such as from broadband buyer. So while it is important to keep tabs on competitors If we felt our business was threatened in any way by run-IT-direct our best course of action would be to try and get them to sell our products instead of or in addition to Pressac products not engage in public forum warfare.

It really seems that this has struck a personal note with you where it wasn't intended. Perhaps I really put my foot in it by suggesting that this sort of discount scheme is a gimmick you don't happen to work in marketing by any chance do you and that has offended you?
      adslnation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast