Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Remember me

This is a discussion on Remember me within the Speak to the staff forums, part of the Website news category; Hi, For some strange reason the 'remember me' select box has no effect on my IE6 browser. Cookies are enabled ...

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Remember me

Hi,

For some strange reason the 'remember me' select box has no effect on my IE6 browser. Cookies are enabled and I'm not aware of any other settings which might prevent my user anme being remembered. When I log off it says clearing cookies - or something to that effect. Is there some other selection i should be making?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Remember me

Hi

Try deleting the cookie for the site from within your browser and try again?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have it set to Clear Cookies on exit, it will not 'remember' anything. You should really be using IE7 by now, IE6 is full of holes which will not now be patched. Go to Tools>Internet Option>Advanced tab. Scroll down the list to Security and make sure that 'Empty Temp ........when browser is closed' is not ticked. This is how it is done in 7, 6 is probably the same, but if it is not, you should be able to find the equivalent entry.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you have it set to Clear Cookies on exit, it will not 'remember' anything. You should really be using IE7 by now, IE6 is full of holes which will not now be patched. Go to Tools>Internet Option>Advanced tab. Scroll down the list to Security and make sure that 'Empty Temp ........when browser is closed' is not ticked. This is how it is done in 7, 6 is probably the same, but if it is not, you should be able to find the equivalent entry.
      Just to clarify The 'All cookies cleared' on exit is a message I get from the Sky User forum - not from IE. I haven't got the Empty temp files box checked - and I have also tried using the latest Firefox browser - and I don't get remembered there either. I have tried deleting what I thought were the relevant cookies for the site, but I don't seem to get asked if I want to accept a new one on restarting the browsers. Bit of a mystery then - and No I'm not downgrading to IE7 for the time being ;-))

Ah - just tried closing the browser isnstead of 'logging out' and it 'remembers me' with no need for even entering the password. So that might be it then? It seems the way the forum is set up is that it will regard me as still in the forum unless I specifically indicate my desire to log out. Sorry to have misunderstood.

Cheers
      Last edited by Meteosat; 02-04-08 at 11:41 PM. Reason: New enlightenment!

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

and No I'm not downgrading to IE7 for the time being

you can not downgrade to ie7 from ie6 as ie7 is a later version than ie6 lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny1310 View Post
      and No I'm not downgrading to IE7 for the time being you can not downgrade to ie7 from ie6 as ie7 is a later version than ie6 lol.
      (Mutley type snigger!)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It seems the way the forum is set up is that it will regard me as still in the forum unless I specifically indicate my desire to log out. Sorry to have misunderstood.
      Yes, I think the cookie time to show you online is about 45 minutes. This was necessary to stop pages timing out when we first opened. Some people take ages to construct their posts. Therefore unless you physically log out of the forums, it will show you online until the timer expires.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser