Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skyuser member privacy

This is a discussion on Skyuser member privacy within the Speak to the staff forums, part of the Website news category; . Admin note: This is a new thread copying posts from this thread which was moving off topic but contained ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Skyuser member privacy

Admin note: This is a new thread copying posts from this thread which was moving off topic but contained some important questions and responses.

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert View Post
      PS...don't it worry u that Sky is your ISP and can presumably match their traffic logs to this site with your router ?
      Sky can't access any personal details of any Skyuser member including and especially the IP used when posting.

The best they could do would be to search their logs for all IPs connected to Skyuser at a particular time. Typically that would give them a list of a couple of hundred IPs.

I guess if they cross referenced enough posts with enough suspect IPs, (allowing for the fact that the IPs are dynamic, not all posts are necessarily made from a Sky IP, users may be logged in for minutes or hours and the post timings aren't necessarily accurate) then they could whittle it down to a smaller number - but which one is James67?

That would be quite a job to do and in any case, I don't believe James67 has done anything to warrant such action.
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-01-08 at 04:17 PM.

2. Advertisement
      gilbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sagem router may never be cracked

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Sky can't access any personal details of any Skyuser member including and especially the IP used when posting.

The best they could do would be to search their logs for all IPs connected to Skyuser at a particular time. Typically that would give them a list of a couple of hundred IPs.

.....you've confirmed it's dooable by a process of elimination......so ...a case of safety in numbers ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'd say all posters are completely safe from Sky's wrath unless they were able to legally force Skyuser to release the poster's personal details.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd say all posters are completely safe from Sky's wrath unless they were able to legally force Skyuser to release the poster's personal details.
      ..your probably right....but I'm thinking of underhand tactics (Sky..surely not? ).....or even blocking this site (Sure Proxy - Your Proxy Source is good if they ever try this )

..I aint worth that effort....but it seems to me that James67 might be.....

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky have NO way of getting any of our member's details whatsoever. They do not have access to poster's IPs

The only way we would give any details away is if forced to via a Court Order. On the other side of the coin, I believe that James has already stated that any algorithms etc that would be detrimental to the router's security would not be released, of which I 100% agree with.

Cracking a router to get a username and password out is one thing, giving the tools to possibly hijack someone else's connection is another. For obvious reasons we would not support the tools to hijack someone else's connection, as it would be a dis-service to our members and we do not fancy being sued.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Sky have NO way of getting any of our member's details whatsoever. They do not have access to poster's IPs
      ..you can see my IP...I'm only arguing Sky can theoretically fathom others' IP if they log through Sky without going through a court order.....I also recognise that you are trying to reassure other members and especially posters...Chris*, Sky finances this site through adverts...and you must save them a packet on tech calls ....so why worry

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert View Post
      ..you can see my ISP
      We can see the IP you used for each post you've ever made which can obviously identify you as a specific account.

But we're not Sky and as NewsreadeR has confirmed, we wouldn't pass that info on without a court order. And what's the fact we carry Sky adverts got to do with this? We can promise you that Sky have no influence over this forum or its policies whatsoever.
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-01-08 at 04:06 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We can see the IP you used for each post you've And what's the fact we carry Sky adverts got to do with this?

..they obviously see you as a worthwhile investment...nothing sinister implied or inferred

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky finances this site through adverts
      Sky does not finance this site through adverts. We finance this site through adverts. All our adverts are through third party agencies and not through Sky. Now of course if Sky instruct their agencies to show adverts on our site via their agencies that is their decision not ours.

you can see my ISP
      Yes as well as any of the Admins or Moderators, we can see your IP address. If sky can recognise any members as their customers, then in all fairness that has to be the member's actions. ie Username used for registration or links to that individual's website in signatures etc.

and you must save them a packet on tech calls ....so why worry
      No doubt whatsoever that our site saves Sky money. However we are not Sky and we have hardly any contact with Sky at the moment, through their own choosing. And so we do our own thing.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Sky does not finance this site through adverts. We finance this site through adverts. All our adverts are through third party agencies and not through Sky.

However we are not Sky and we have hardly any contact with Sky at the moment, through their own choosing. And so we do our own thing.
      .OK, my bad......

....I've absolutely no doubt you are the good guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast