Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cannot send mail

This is a discussion on Cannot send mail within the SkyUser Mail / SMTP forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by Isitme Sky at one time ran their own email servers, then moved to Gmail. Gmail ran faultlessly ...

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Cannot send mail

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky at one time ran their own email servers, then moved to Gmail. Gmail ran faultlessly for some years then Sky, probably for financial reasons, switched to Yahoo. We were told at the time IMAP would not work with Yahoo, but fortunately this proved to be incorrect. Since the switch, hardly a week goes by without some sort of problem. I think Sky rue the day they switched, but will never admit it.

Incidentally although it is ISP based, Sky email is for life, once you are signed up you can continue to use it even if you leave Sky.
      I've been with sky since year dot and have never seen an email offering, that I can remember, apart from the mention of the gmail thing, which I only barely recall.
      Being curious, under my sky I see it has an email link, and its @sky.com address, is that it?
      Not sure how i never noticed that before, unless its new.
      What an awful interface, I'm sure yahoo looked that many years ago when we all had one for instant messaging.
      Looking in the sky community, it looks to be complete mess.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Being curious, under my sky I see it has an email link, and its @sky.com address, is that it?
      Not sure what you mean, but if it is <yourskyusername>@sky.com, that's your email address. Every one who joins Sky automatically qualifies for an @sky.com email account.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Not sure what you mean, but if it is <yourskyusername>@sky.com, that's your email address. Every one who joins Sky automatically qualifies for an @sky.com email account.
      So I have had a sky email address since the early 1980s when I joined sky or perhaps it started with the bskyb merger in the 1990s and I've never been told, hilarious
      What didn't I make clear?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you go to your MySky page and click the Email link at the top next to your name, that will take you to your email. I must say you are in a minority if you didn't know you had a Sky email account.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Just for the sake of it, I decided to go an have a look at mine and found the following, never used it, and never will, but 1Tb is generous.

We've noticed that you haven't signed into your Sky Yahoo Email in the last five months.

If you would like to continue using your account please sign in within the next 30 days. If not, we'll assume you're not using your account and suspend it in line with the terms of the Sky Yahoo Mail Terms and Conditions. Once suspended you won't get any new emails in your inbox.

After another 30 days, we'll delete and de-activate your email, calendar, chat and address book and you will not be able to recover this information.

This will not affect your Sky ID or any other Sky service
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As well as email services ISPs used to provide website hosting for their customers. Did Sky ever do this and if so does anyone still have a Sky hosted website?

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR101 + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

No they never offered webspace, and the original email was webmail only. They had to cobble a service together after huge complaints from the early users, then they farmed it out to Google.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Just for the sake of it, I decided to go an have a look at mine and found the following, never used it, and never will, but 1Tb is generous.

We've noticed that you haven't signed into your Sky Yahoo Email in the last five months.

If you would like to continue using your account please sign in within the next 30 days. If not, we'll assume you're not using your account and suspend it in line with the terms of the Sky Yahoo Mail Terms and Conditions. Once suspended you won't get any new emails in your inbox.

After another 30 days, we'll delete and de-activate your email, calendar, chat and address book and you will not be able to recover this information.

This will not affect your Sky ID or any other Sky service
      Mine was blank.
      Wonder if yahoo let you use that storage as cloud storage, that would be a good addition.
      Do remember sky once offered a basic cloud storage, but it was just terrible. I'm sure I put a few photos up there, perhaps they are still there, haha!
      I've found my sky email introduction from 2007, just searched my own email. That is when I joined sky broadband, adding it to the sky tv Id had for 20+ years before. The email mentions making the email address the same as my sky id I was already using.
      I didn't know when I took out my sky broadband, (I had three lines and merged it into one; one paid for by my employer, Be there and a home pipex adsl/voice/phone package) that sky gave me 6 months free and a 75 voucher, nothing has changed.
      It cost 45 after the 6 months for the sky tv package it says, but I had movies then. I added sky talk in 2009 and that was 10 line rental and freetime phone package.
      I'm paying less than that now for tv, broadband, phone and a lot more besides. We shouldn't complain really.

Edit: forgot it was pipex.
      Last edited by lettice; 11-09-15 at 06:03 PM.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      .... We shouldn't complain really.
      Of course we should, if we didn't complain the standard of everything would never improve, there would be little incentive. I like complaining, it makes me feel better.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I used sky mail for a good year or so with the myusername@sky.com address that they automatically gave me when i first signed up for broadband.
      And some other @sky.com addresses for additional users etc.
      It was my first ever experience of email.

When they switched from gmail to yapoo i ditched them in favour of normal gmail accounts, however when i tried to close the sky ones i was told that i couldn't & the only thing i could do is to not log in for 6 months at which point they'll close automatically.
      That must have been about 2 years ago now.

So i just logged into sky.com & clicked the email link for the first time in 2 years.
      I got this:

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo!, try visiting the Yahoo! home page or look through a list of Yahoo!'s online services. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below.

[search box]

Please try Yahoo! Help Central if you need more assistance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast