Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Outgoing mail through Outlook Express

This is a discussion on Outgoing mail through Outlook Express within the SkyUser Mail / SMTP forums, part of the Community channel category; Sorry if I have missed the answer to my query but I have spent considerable time looking. I use Outlook ...

helpless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Outgoing mail through Outlook Express

Sorry if I have missed the answer to my query but I have spent considerable time looking.

I use Outlook Express to view in/out mails.
      I use ------@onetel.com, mail address. Onetel being my broadband provider at one time.
      I have been using skyusermail.com for my outgoing mail which does not now work as I understand the server has closed down.
      I am receiving incoming mail via POP3, mail.onetel.com into Outlook Express.
      I want to continue to use Outlook Express and not have to sign into my sky.com mail account to send mail.

I have tried using mail.yahoo.com on port 465 and 587 for outgoing mail but this does not work. I have set up my onetel.com address on my sky/yahoo mail account but assume I would have to sign in my sky.com mail account to send mail which would show my onetel.com mail address which is not what I want to do.

Is there anyway I could use an outgoing mail server as I did with skyusermail.com through Outlook Express?

2. Advertisement
      moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR101 + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing mail through Outlook Express

If you have registered and verified your OneTel address with the Sky/Yahoo servers then the correct settings for the SMTP server are:

smtp.tools.sky.com
      port 465
      SSL on
      Authenticate with your full sky email address and password.

Thanks

Thanks for that moleman.
      I can now send mail from my onetel.com address by selecting this address in the From box in the Sky/Yahoo site ---- but what I want to do is use my Outlook Express mail account (which is receiving mail as normal) to send mail. I do not want to use anything other than the Sky/Yahoo server to get my mail out through Outlook Express.
      Is this possible as the use of the skyuser server managed to do so?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you have set your account up properly and had it authenticated you should be able to send and receive mail though OE. You will have to change the SMTP server from the Skyuser address to that given above by Moleman.

You will be aware that OE is now history, no longer supported and is full of security holes. You would be better changing to Window Live mail as it is the nearest to OE you will find. I personally prefer Thunderbird but that is a matter of choice.

If you are using XP I don't think Windows live will work, so you may have to go for Tbird or one of the other clients which support XP.
      https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR101 + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Totally agree with Isitme, but if you still want to continue with O.E. here is how to replace the skyusermail setting in O.E. with the Sky/Yahoo settings shown in my previous post.

Open Outlook Express
      From the "tools" menu select "accounts"

On the "mail" tab highlight your account and press "properties".

On the "servers" tab change the skyusermail host name to smtp.tools.sky.com in the "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" field. Then click the "settings" button at the bottom and in the "outgoing mail server" dialogue that opens change your skyuser name and password to your full sky email address and password. Click O.K. to close the dialogue.

Select the "Advanced" tab. In the section "Outgoing mail(SMTP)", tick the box "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)". This should change the port number to 465. Click OK

This should take you back to the "properties" screen so OK again and the screen should close.

You should now be able to send as before, do not make any changes to the incoming mail (POP) settings or you may not be able to receive mail.

Good Luck

Thanks

Thanks moleman and Isitme.

Got O.E. sorted. Really appreciate your help.

However.

I took note of your comments and downloaded Thunderbird but in setting up the outgoing server I get 'smtp server smtp.tools.sky.com requires password. If I put in my Sky/Yahoo password it fails to connect.

Any ideas why?

- - - Updated - - -

Got O.E. sorted. Really appreciate your help.

However.

I took note of your comments and downloaded Thunderbird but in setting up the outgoing server I get 'smtp server smtp.tools.sky.com requires password. If I put in my Sky/Yahoo password it fails to connect.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

Got O.E. working. Really appreciate your help.

And now sorted Thunderbird.

Thanks again.