Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Results 31 to 40 of 40
    Like Tree8Likes

    SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

    This is a discussion on SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down? within the SkyUser Mail / SMTP forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by Isitme The mods are all standing by ready to edit or delete any over the top complaints ...

    1. #31
      gilbert's Avatar
      gilbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Posts
      60
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The mods are all standing by ready to edit or delete any over the top complaints from the free-loaders who have used the service for years while not even bothering to visit the forum. The service was set up when Sky changed their email provider to Gmail who did not allow 'foreign' SMTPs, the change to Yahoo makes the service redundant. What's so difficult to understand about that?
      Wot's so difficult to understand about it's not wot you are doing, but the way you are going about it ?


    2. Advertisement
    3. #32
      reddwarfcrew's Avatar
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,088
      Thanks
      32
      Thanked 93 Times in 86 Posts

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      What 30 days notice and forum post? To repeat, this is not a paid for service. The forum does not make any money. Those who haven't seen the forum post don't frequent the forums and therefore have just taken advantage of the generous offer. What do we owe them?
      SatDish likes this.

    4. #33
      Dave-H's Avatar
      Dave-H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealing London W5
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Posts
      53
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Post Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      Well I only found out about the closure because the server went down and I came here to find out what was was wrong!
      However I wouldn't have expected to be personally informed about the impending closure.
      We will see when it does shut down in a couple of weeks, but I guess people will come here when they find it's not working, and I hope there isn't too much ranting about it!

    5. #34
      gilbert's Avatar
      gilbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Posts
      60
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      What 30 days notice and forum post? To repeat, this is not a paid for service. The forum does not make any money. Those who haven't seen the forum post don't frequent the forums and therefore have just taken advantage of the generous offer. What do we owe them?
      How about courtesy ?

      For myself, I would have gladly paid a modest amount to keep this service running with people I trust.....still will....say 10 quid per annum for the sake of argument.

      It cost me a huge amount of time and headaches to sort it.

      Considering the amount of people using it, you would have got enough from anything from beer money to a holiday in Benidorm for y'all.

    6. #35
      puppet's Avatar
      puppet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Posts
      92
      Thanks
      12
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      Have to admit, I had a similar knee-jerk reaction. And yes, an email to advise of the impending closure may have been nice, as when the server is offline the first you know about it is when you realise an email hasn't arrived. I know I personally had a real panic, as I'd been sending out CVs and important job related emails.

      However.....

      As has been said, and I can vouch for this as I've now done it myself, the new Sky/Yahoo service can be used to achieve the same desired results. If the guys no longer wish to maintain the service, and there is indeed a suitable alternative available, then I think we need to respect that.

      Thanks for running the service as long as you did, it was much appreciated.

    7. #36
      reddwarfcrew's Avatar
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,088
      Thanks
      32
      Thanked 93 Times in 86 Posts

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      Quote Originally Posted by gilbert View Post
      How about courtesy ?

      For myself, I would have gladly paid a modest amount to keep this service running with people I trust.....still will....say 10 quid per annum for the sake of argument.

      It cost me a huge amount of time and headaches to sort it.

      Considering the amount of people using it, you would have got enough from anything from beer money to a holiday in Benidorm for y'all.
      I can only repeat what has been said. This is not a business but something that is done by the owner and mods in their spare time. To charge would make it a business which then requires being run as a business, registered as an actual company with the tax man etc.

      As a 'hobbyist' site for want of a better word, we don't have access to the same functionality as large corporations and therefore cannot undertake the same actions as business do.

      Perhaps if you feel so confident on the little support such a venture takes and that you could make a fortune by charging for it, we will see a Gilbert SMTP being advertised on our forums soon?

      Kind regards.

    8. #37
      Saturday's Avatar
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,091
      Thanks
      20
      Thanked 53 Times in 48 Posts

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      My observation:

      We have a well earned reputation at Skyuser for helpfulness and good nature - many great members who continually contribute their time to helping others and mods who work quietly behind the scenes to keep things running.

      Then we have a member who makes no contribution, rarely visits for years at a time but leaps right in and complains/criticises because something they took for free, something that was set up for the regular members has been stopped.


      Quote Originally Posted by gilbert View Post

      No amount of hiding behind small print is gonna save you from the coming storm....that's wot Sky does.


      Your gonna have a lot, really a lot, of people turning up crying WTF ?.......


      ....getting increasingly more angry and reinforcing one another.


      Are you really ready for that ?.......I'm intrigued enough to hang about and watch.
      That post then followed by a couple more trying to stir up a dead issue. If that's not trolling I don't know what is.
      SatDish likes this.

    9. #38
      gilbert's Avatar
      gilbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Posts
      60
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      How about debate ?.....are you against that ?

      You know that's not trolling and saying things you don't want to hear.

    10. #39
      reddwarfcrew's Avatar
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,088
      Thanks
      32
      Thanked 93 Times in 86 Posts

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      Gilbert. You've made your point. Enough is enough. No more.

    11. #40
      SatDish's Avatar
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Kent, UK
      Posts
      5,206
      Thanks
      42
      Thanked 41 Times in 28 Posts
      Blog Entries
      1

      Re: SMTP SkyUser Outgoing Mail Server - is it down?

      Thread closed.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

     

     
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION