Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moved from O2 to Sky now can't send emails

This is a discussion on Moved from O2 to Sky now can't send emails within the SkyUser Mail / SMTP forums, part of the Community channel category; OK beeiwitho2 for ages and now with sky, when on O2 i coiuld use there email server when posting via ...

Alloneword is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Normal black one no idea of number
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wink Moved from O2 to Sky now can't send emails

OK beeiwitho2 for ages and now with sky, when on O2 i coiuld use there email server when posting via my tesco.net account by usig something on the lines of relay.o2 or something on thoses lines i have asked Sky about this and when i found someone who spoke English as iasked then and they said smtp.tools.sky.com, Port: 465 but when i tried intport if failed does any have any idea how to fix tid one.

All1

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Moved from O2 to Sky now can't send emails

Could you take a look at the guide which Tom put together here: Send an email from another account

Let us know if this has helped or not.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could you take a look at the guide which Tom put together here: Send an email from another account

Let us know if this has helped or not.
      Thanks for the link but it's not related to me to be honest I dont use yahoo or web based email i use Thunderbird which when i was on O2 i was able to use in conjunction with my tesco.net email account, allbeit with relay.o2broadband.co.uk in the outbound setting i'm looking for the outbound settings again so i can use my offline email client.

All1

Thanks

That is the process that you need to follow before you can use your own client (i.e. Thinderbird) in order to send email from your Sky Broadband connection.

I do not believe that you will be able to continue using the O2 Relay system.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I do not believe that you will be able to continue using the O2 Relay system.
      I get that as i'm no longer a o2 customer but why do Sky not have a simple setting like o2 something on the lines of relay.skybroadband.co.uk or something like that?

Thanks

It is a difficult one.

Did those settings work perfectly well on smart phones? Or perhaps on a Laptop when used away from home?

Until recently this forum did offer a free service to allow members to send emails from a range of services via the SkyUser SMTP server. This was required as Sky were using the gmail system and it didn't allow them.

As Sky has now changed to the Yahoo! system, it is now possible using the instructions shown above.

The SMTP server was left in place for over a year but closed to new applications. Following a couple of incidents where everyone was messed up due to someone using the sever for spamming it has now been closed.

The SMTP server was popular and worked very well.

I guess that historically Sky felt that at the time when they set up their email service with gmail, personal email accounts were not popular. There were businesses that would be affected, but Sky has always been a domestic broadband provider and someone might have felt that this was a conflict.

Daft? In light of how people use the Internet now, yes. However thing did change and you can now send emails via Sky's smtp server for most email providers now.

People who use the main free email providers (Yahoo!, Hotmail/Outlook and google mail) have always been able to use the smtp servers for those respective providers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you follow the instructions in the link then change your outgoing server to smtp.tools.sky.com youwill be able to send your mail exactly as before.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Having just spend 2.5 hours on the phone to the experts at sky they have no idea how to set it up LOL, plus another hour on chat the other day just not worth it spent 2mins on plusnet site and found this Send email from any connection: Mozilla Thunderbird

Sorted I know i get Sky free for a year but sometimes money ain't everything, just glad i'm off within the 28/31 day period.

All1

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

That is a Plusnet support page, so I am surprised you can use their SMTP relay. They do not even allow their dial customers to use it. Don't be surprised if it stops working, unless you move to Plusnet that is.

To be honest, if you had followed the instructions properly you would have had no problem setting this up with your Sky account. Many others have and have no problems sending their 'other account' mail through the Sky/Yahoo servers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I know it's a plusnet page my point is look how easy it can be it took me less then 2 mins to find the info i need.
      Sky on the other hand, you and others have talked about my "Sky Account" AFAIK i don't have one, no paper work, no email with any of this info, talking to them today they could only find my account from about 3 years ago that was old TV package account but they said i could not use that as it was dormant, LOL what a joke anyway have my mac code and 75 coming back as they gave me 75 credit on the account to sign up so can't be bad i guess will pay for a few months with plusnet.

All1