Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How to set up with Thunderbird

This is a discussion on How to set up with Thunderbird within the SkyUser Mail / SMTP forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by SatDish ...would anyone be interested in doing tutorials for setting up the SkyUser SMTP service for ... ...

nickw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Christchurch
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How to set up with Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      ...would anyone be interested in doing tutorials for setting up the SkyUser SMTP service for ...
      This is how to do it for Thunderbird. All very straightforward, and other email clients will be much the same:

Go to Tools/Account Settings

Scroll to the bottom of the list in the left pane and click on Outoing Server (SMTP)

On the right hand side, click on the Add... button

Enter a description (eg. SkyUser)

Enter mail.skyusermail.com as the Server Name

Leave Port as it is (25)

Select the checkbox Use name and password

Enter your SkyUser username

Select No for Use secure connection

Click on OK

Make sure the SkyUser SMTP server is set as the default

For all your existing email accounts, click on the account name and ensure the email address is set to whatever email address you want it to look like it's coming from, and ensure the Outgoing Server (SMTP) is set to Use Default Server

When you send an email, you will be asked for your SkyUser SMTP password (the one you chose when you requested the account). Thunderbird will give you the option to remember the password so you don't have to enter it every time.

That's it, it works a treat. Thanks guys, this server is really appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      bobbycow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01933
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: How to set up with Thunderbird

Thanks for this I was wondering about the correct setup.
      However I have been running two PC's with TB each with different setup but garnering email from SKY okay-ish using googlemail setting on one and tools.sky/smtp.sky on the other. Both were missing downloading emails however when compared with the sky server.
      I am now using your setting on one machine and I find it too is missing some emails versus the sky server. Interesting though one of the PC's was also running Outlook concurrently and even this was not perfect (about 98% though).
      I am surprised at TB though which at whichever setting only picks up about 75% of the emails - why is this?
      Also have you any suggestions about the upper part of the email settings - i.e. the tools part/port 995 etc?
      Many thanks
      bobbycow

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The Skyuser SMTP server only sends mail it does not receive. Your incoming server should be using port 995 with SSL/TLS security. At the moment it does not matter whether you use 'pop.googlemail.com' or .pop.tools.sky.com' the result should be the same. This will change when Sky move to Yahoo mail when the former will cease to work.

I use T/bird and have no problems with it, what you should do is check that your anti virus is not interfering. This would not be unusual.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bobbycow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01933
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The Skyuser SMTP server only sends mail it does not receive. Your incoming server should be using port 995 with SSL/TLS security. At the moment it does not matter whether you use 'pop.googlemail.com' or .pop.tools.sky.com' the result should be the same. This will change when Sky move to Yahoo mail when the former will cease to work.

I use T/bird and have no problems with it, what you should do is check that your anti virus is not interfering. This would not be unusual.
      Thanks for that, now I understand.
      I have checked my anti-virus but it doesn't seem to have been intercepting anything, Just strange.
      Many thanks
      BC