Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Upgrading your sky+ hard drive

This is a discussion on Upgrading your sky+ hard drive within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; step by step guides are at: Everything Sky+...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Upgrading your sky+ hard drive

step by step guides are at:

Everything Sky+

2. Advertisement
      mrplatypus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Forge Way, Cwmbran
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

However, if you are getting a new box becareful you don't screw it up otherwise you will void your warranty...

Exchange:
      Thanks

regardless as to whether you screw it up, changing the hard drive invalidates your warranty, so if other faults occur your warranty is invalid.

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maida Vale
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB x 3
      Thanks

Hi Guys, I find out the easiest and quickest way to copy Sky+ HDDs with no matter how old the PC really is.

In total copying process time: 2 hrs & 16mins from 23% free out of 200GB, including Sky Anytime TV data onto 300GB HDD, connecting both HDDs to Secondary IDE connection (disconnect both my DVD-ROM & DVD-ROM / CD-RW Comb drives), left both HDDs to CS (Cable Select) setting - no need to change the jumper pin, using my 7 years old self upgraded Emachines 320 PC with 512MB RAM, 200GB Maxtor HDD, Windows XP Professional SP2 running at 900MHz Intel Celeron Processor 66/100MHz bus speed. Even its not the fastest by todays standards!!

USB 2.0 / USB 1.1 is a complete pile of crap when it comes to copying / transferring data, even the same with "Attach Drives using both External USB 1.1 and Internal ATA". Its very SLOW like a TORTOISE!! Or like a DIAL-UP INTERNET CONNECTION!! To me, copying this way, it takes me 17 hours like my previous attempt, mentioned in post #2

My strongly recommendation is: "Attach Drives via Internal ATA Connection"!! But only do this option, if you're more experienced with computers and very familiar with installing PC drives.

Soon, I'll write up on "MY EASY WAY EXPERIENCE OF SKY+ PACE TDS470N PVR3 HDD UPGRADE" and add on to my web site.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i would say that anyone who is brave enough to take to pieces a sky+/hd box will also be more than happy to hook up to the ide cables inside a pc (or sata for skyhd).

It all really depends on what you have got. I've got USB2 HD caddies (both ide and sata) and for me it's easier than taking to pieces my pc. I dont care about the time, just hook it up late evening, go to work the next day and when i'm home it's done. and all i have to do is unplug the drives from the caddies.... job done!

Yes if you're going to sit and watch the copying, then you may want to take the PC to pieces.... obviously if you do this, then it may render you pc useless especially for skyhd as you would need 2 spare sata connectors inside (which you wont have if your OS is on sata drive itself).

I would strongly advise upgraders to do what they feel is most convenient for them with the equipment they have available. If time is of the essence and you dont have full USB2.0 then you may want to take apart your pc. However if you do have USB2 and external hard drive caddies, then just set up to copy whilst you're at work.

The one bit i would agree with is dont do it with USB1.0 or USB1.1 as the transfer rate is far too slow even to do while at work.

It's all horses for courses really.

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maida Vale
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB x 3
      Thanks

I agree with you about "It all really depends on what you have got!!"

As for me, I have Sony laptop with USB 2.0 ports, 2 x USB 2.0 to SATA / IDE cable adaptors, upgraded Emachines PC with USB 1.1, so it doesn't bother me at either way. But I want to learn much more about copying Sky+ HDDs only!! - Not Sky+ HD HDDs!!. As I don't have Sky+ HD yet, I'm waiting for until the new Pace Sky+ HD boxes to come out first, then I'll buy two of them, as well with a brand new PC with SATA connectors or build myself a customised PC, plus 2 new HD ready TVs, as I hate the Thomson Sky+ HD boxes!!

About the time, that's you, as for me, I want to find out which is the quickest way to do it, because I want to make it on time to record my favourite programs - WWE: Raw Is War, WWE: SmackDown!, Neighbours, Eastenders, Coronation Street, The Bill, Emmerdale, Home & Away, Saved By The Bell, Hang Time, movies as well. On top of that, my girlfriend's (Marlyn) favourite programs - Fear Factor, The Ricki Lake Show, Days of our Lives, The Bold & The Beautiful, Young & The Restless.

Now do you see my point? I can't "just hook it up late evening, go to work the next day and when i'm home it's done" because all both mine and Marlyn's favourite programs are showing whole day from morning to evening while we're working, plus my VCR can't record on ITV2, Diva TV, Fiver, or any other channels, only channels 1 - 5.

Since I have the experience in both the hard way and the easy way about copying Sky+ HDDs, I thought that it would be nice to pass on my knowledge and experience on Sky User forum.

As for "Yes if you're going to sit and watch the copying" bit. I just do some washing up, making some free phone calls via Sky Talk Unlimited, ironing my clothes, cutting Marlyn's toe nails while she's sleeping (that's at least I can do, since she has make a very big dinner for me and helping me quite a lot), surfing the Internet, playing my Sony Playstation with PS2 HDD while copying my Sky+ HDD because I can't watch anything on my Pace Sky+ box without Sky+ HDD installed!!

"I would strongly advise upgraders to do what they feel is most convenient for them with the equipment they have available" bit, as for me, here is my opinion:

If you're the most experienced computer whizz kid like me or computer expert / PC maintenance e.g. IT Techician and want the quickest copying process way to do it is: Attach Drives via Internal ATA Connection (Sky+ HDDs only) or Attach Drives via Internal SATA Connection (Sky+ HD HDDs only) and its very simple task for me to do as well. Its a piece of cake!!

But beware, if you're a beginner, then forget it!! Please don't imitate my way, as its not my responsibility for your physical damage to Sky+ HDDs or Sky+ boxes or PCs in that matter!! Instead, just purchase USB2 HD caddies with SATA / IDE connections and follow "Attach Drives via External USB Caddies (Recommended)" instructions. Simple as that!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      Since I have the experience in both the hard way and the easy way about copying Sky+ HDDs, I thought that it would be nice to pass on my knowledge and experience on Sky User forum.
      not sure the need for the 'war and peace' response. As I said in my reply its each to their own. Your way is NOT the easy way nor is it the HARD way, it is simply your preferred method of doing it under YOUR circumstances, nothing more nothing less.

We should promote as many ways as possible of performing an upgrade and also highlight that some may be more appropriate than other for sky+ vs sky+hd (someone reading this thread couldn't care less what your set up is, they care about what their set up is). But what we really shouldn't do is suggest to people that one way is better than another when it all depends on their set up and personal circumstances.

Your way is a great way of transferring data as quickly as possibe, especially if you dont have any usb caddies and dont have SkyHD. But for some taking a PC to bits (even if you are an expert) is just more hassel than its worth. I have built numerous PCs from scratch, am i computer programmer in VBA, VB6, SQL, C++, Java and Javasript.... but under my circumstance i go down the usb caddy route as it is more convenient for me (all things considered as it's a pain in the **** to unhook everything, open the case, unhook the drives connnect up the HDD etc etc and then reverse it al when i'm done). My way is the best way for me, but not necessarily everyone. I haven't tried to state that mine is the easy way and yours the hard way, simply that it is 'horses for courses'.

As I've also said, if you are brave enough to take apart a sky+ box, then you are more than likely brave enough to add/remove components from a pc.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 28-07-08 at 03:11 PM.

guysteruk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

hi folks this is gonna sound stupid but here goes i have a pace tds470n sky+ im wanting to upgrade the hard drive on it to a 500gb. does anyone know what size of torx bit u need to use to remove the cover? i have tryed t10 bits they only barely fit and not biting enough to turn the screws

Exchange:
      Thanks

I dont know the answer, but i bought this below as it's useful for many other things:

33-Piece Security Bit Set > Maplin

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guysteruk View Post
      hi folks this is gonna sound stupid but here goes i have a pace tds470n sky+ im wanting to upgrade the hard drive on it to a 500gb. does anyone know what size of torx bit u need to use to remove the cover? i have tryed t10 bits they only barely fit and not biting enough to turn the screws
      Apparantly it needs a hollow point T10 as opposed to a standard, the Sky+ screws have a raised dimple in the centre.....

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast