Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Upgrading your sky+ hard drive

This is a discussion on Upgrading your sky+ hard drive within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Any news/info on whether we can go larger than 1TB with the Thompson HD box? My HDD is on its ...

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Upgrading your sky+ hard drive

Any news/info on whether we can go larger than 1TB with the Thompson HD box? My HDD is on its way out, classic symptoms are beginning to show, and if I'm buying now I'd like to go as big as possible.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've been keeping track of this and I haven't seen anyone try it. I think the owner of copy+ is awaiting someone to be brave and give it a go.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

I've never read of anything larger than 1Tb for a Thomson. Amstrad/Samsung yes. Even at that you'd better do some very careful research on the forums as to which works and which doesn't. Samsung F2 seems to do the job, from what I've seen. Seagate also a starter. WD hit or miss depending on the particular drive you choose. Browse the various upgrade threads here and elsewhere before spending. I strongly advise you to upgrade the PSU on your Thomson with a Satcure Mk2 caps kit.

You mention 'classic symptoms'. You sure the PSU is OK? Symptoms are very similar.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks - I'll stick with the 1GB and have gone for the "Samsung HD103SI EcoGreen F2 1TB SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM @ 58.74GBP" from Aria. I've had these before, they're extremely reliable, and the EcoGreen have very low power requirements and run icy cold

I'll keep the suggestion of the replacement PSU in my back pocket just in case of any issues around that.

If the drive arrives today I may just do it - otherwise it'll be my weekend project
      [Albert Einstein]

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Progress: The Samsung arrived this morning ... W00t ... and is currently cooking with Copy+ using a Samsung NC10 and a pair of USB2/SATA tabletop caddies.

The Samsung has modest power requirements, almost matching those of the WD 300GB that it is replacing. It uses less ma on the 12v rail but .05ma more on the 5v rail. It also runs noticeably cooler - the WD is hot to touch by comparison.

Oh well - only 3-1/2 hours of copying to go ...
      [Albert Einstein]

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

All done - just under four hours of copying from the 300GB to the 1TB Samsung.

The first start up was a DOA, lights but no sign of life - so I pulled the power and tried it again, this time it came up first time. Possibly an issue with the PSU? If it malfunctions again I will replace that with a higher rated one (any suggestions??).

Pics of the HDD labels included for those interested. The WD pulls 0.40A more on the 12v rail but 0.05A less on the 5v rail - if I'm reading those labels right (the Samsung one is a bit confusing).

Noise from the Samsung is nonexistent - I used to be able to hear the WD in the HD box, but the Samsung is inaudible. I've had to press my ear against the casing to hear the drive spin up!

I've used Samsung Spinpoint and latterly their newer EcoGreen drives (the 7,200 rpm variety) in PC builds for some time. Also have my Mac Pro stuffed with their 500GB and 1GB units. Their longevity is impressive and they have outlasted Seagate and WD that I've used previously.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading your sky+ hard drive-samsunghdd.jpg   Upgrading your sky+ hard drive-wd_hdd.jpg  
      [Albert Einstein]

Ripper1012 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Question Re: Upgrading your sky+ hard drive

Hi all

I have been reading this whole post as im Looking to Upgrade My Pace PVR3 TDS470N Sky+ box. ( the little one has lots of kids Programs and the misses likes recording Music for the odd song. so we are about 90% Full of the 80/80 gig Drive

Can someone help me with a few questions.

1) Is there any real Difference between a regular PC hard drive and a CE/AV Drive?
      I can only find a (i think) CE hard drive 2nd hard for 50 Delivered for 300gig. they say its a Sky+ hdd. but its 2nd hand and only has 3months warentey.

MAXTOR 4A300J0 300.0GB Hard Drive UDMA133 (4A300J0)

If not i have a practaclly New Seagate (Seagate Barracuda 320g ST3320620A 7200RPM IDE) which i could use?

2) I have read that the fan can stay on after updating? is this always the case or is the because of the HDD not being a CE/AV type? Although i did see in the post- Pace PVR3 (aka Pace TDS470N) with 750gb HDD: WORKING

he had a 750g AV type hdd and the fan was on? although im guessing the HDD was still quite as AV type.

3) is there a way of making the Seagate PC HDD 7200 "Better suited" for the Hdd. to help keep it cooler?

4)Does anyone know how long it takes to copy from Original HDD to either PC as backup or straight to new HDD. Is it "actuall time" IE a 2Hr program will take 2hrs to copy..

Im not sure what hdd i have in my box at the mo but someone has suggested that this makes a big difference with the new box?

Thanks for anyones in put!

Ps This Site Rocks

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Ripper1012 - to answer some of your questions randomly.

If you use Copy+ it essentially clones your old hard drive in much the same manner that any other computer copy would. So the answer is "No" it does not take 2hr to copy a 2hr program. I copied over my almost full Sky+ HD 300GB drive to the new 1TB drive in approx 2-1/2 hours. That represents some 100+ hours of TV programs.

For a replacement HDD you do need something that will run cool - and the Samsung EcoGreen are a good choice, as are others cited on here. As long as the actual interface is right, i.e. SATA or IDE, I am not sure what your Pace uses, I suspect its an IDE.

For HDD you don't need a fast 7,200rpm device - a 5,000rpm would more than do. The slower drive will run cooler and not draw so much power from your supply.

For HDDs I can seriously recommend Aria - their prices are very keen, delivery very quick http://www.aria.co.uk/ - I have no connection with them other than being a long-standing customer.
      [Albert Einstein]

Ripper1012 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      @Ripper1012 - to answer some of your questions randomly.

If you use Copy+ it essentially clones your old hard drive in much the same manner that any other computer copy would. So the answer is "No" it does not take 2hr to copy a 2hr program. I copied over my almost full Sky+ HD 300GB drive to the new 1TB drive in approx 2-1/2 hours. That represents some 100+ hours of TV programs.

For a replacement HDD you do need something that will run cool - and the Samsung EcoGreen are a good choice, as are others cited on here. As long as the actual interface is right, i.e. SATA or IDE, I am not sure what your Pace uses, I suspect its an IDE.

For HDD you don't need a fast 7,200rpm device - a 5,000rpm would more than do. The slower drive will run cooler and not draw so much power from your supply.

For HDDs I can seriously recommend Aria - their prices are very keen, delivery very quick Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices - I have no connection with them other than being a long-standing customer.
      Thanks for your reply.

Its good to know it wont take ages to copy the recordings.

I had used Aria before myself so know what you mean. There a good site.

I just had a look on the Aria website but they only had 4 IDE hdds Left and all 7200.
      You were right my Pace box has an IDE HDD. 7200RPM but its a CE edition which i belive run slower? or just cooler..?

Would you think the Drive i mentioned ( the seagate 320gig) would not be a good choice? Im only mentioning as I have one practally new and unused so would be cheaper then buying on as i know there are getting hard to find (and expensive because of it)...

Would you suggest that If i do put my drive in it would work but run hot? and thats what would make the fan issue appear?

Can you also confim if there is a big Diff with a PC Hdd and CE hdd? for instance If i do manage to find a Samsung EcoGreen Drive? would that as good as a Consumer Edition or AV hdd that are "meant" for these DVR boxes?

Cheers again for all your help and answers.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

With Seagate that you are wanting to use - I would suggest that you take a look at the power spec for the new HDD and see how it compares with the original part. The volts will be the same (12v and 5v) but the current draw is what is going to cause heat and possible overload of your Sky+ power supply.

I would expect the CE drive to pull less current than one that is perhaps a bog standard PC drive where there is oodles of capacity in the PC's PSU and cooling in the case.

So, the "CE" drives would be more suited to being installed in small cases where the airflow is going to be significantly limited in comparison to a standard PC case. Lower power and quieter should be the hallmarks.

The key is to match as closely as possible the new HDD with the old in terms of its electrical requirements. In that respect, I would say that the likes of a Samsung Eco Green is as suitable as an HDD [supposedly] intended for use in PVRs. No matter what anyone says, in truth, it is all about a quiet, cool drive fitting the PSU output capability as closely as possible - better that it draws less than the PSU is capable of outputting.

Hope this helps.
      [Albert Einstein]

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast