Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

How to record sky tv to dvd/pc

This is a discussion on How to record sky tv to dvd/pc within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi there, I have been using sky for quite long and my collection of tv shows is filling up my ...

UncleSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How to record sky tv to dvd/pc

Hi there,

I have been using sky for quite long and my collection of tv shows is filling up my sky box. I was wondering if it is possible to record those programs to my pc using a usb capture card?

Or is there any other method to do this without having to spend a fortune on dvd recorder etc

Many thanks in adance !

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How to record sky tv to dvd/pc

A DVD recorder may well be your best option as they arent very expensive anymore and whilst you could theoretically get a cheap capture card I have found from past experience that they have problems will quality and audio sync. If you then want to move them onto a DVD from pc you need to use authoring software and reencode the captures which can be a lengthy process.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      A DVD recorder may well be your best option as they arent very expensive anymore and whilst you could theoretically get a cheap capture card I have found from past experience that they have problems will quality and audio sync. If you then want to move them onto a DVD from pc you need to use authoring software and reencode the captures which can be a lengthy process.
      Will any dvd recorder do ? or do i need to get those that a specially made to record for sky ?

P.s Will the quality degrade , if you try to transfer HD stuff from the box onto dvd ?

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSky View Post
      Will any dvd recorder do ? or do i need to get those that a specially made to record for sky ?
      Any dvd recorder with a scart or HDMI input should be OK, but of course 'you get what you pay for'. However, you may get the Macrovision protection kicking in, if the programmes are copy protected.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSky View Post
      P.s Will the quality degrade , if you try to transfer HD stuff from the box onto dvd ?
      Yes, it will, because HD programmes are at a much higher data rate, so you'd only get a few minutes of HD material on a DVD, even if the recorder was HD capable. Blu-Ray disks hold much more data. There are very few HD recorders around at the moment, and as far as I'm aware, none of them will record via HDMI.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      Any dvd recorder with a scart or HDMI input should be OK, but of course 'you get what you pay for'. However, you may get the Macrovision protection kicking in, if the programmes are copy protected.

Yes, it will, because HD programmes are at a much higher data rate, so you'd only get a few minutes of HD material on a DVD, even if the recorder was HD capable. Blu-Ray disks hold much more data. There are very few HD recorders around at the moment, and as far as I'm aware, none of them will record via HDMI.
      Thank you for your answers. I will definitely get a dvd recorder soon ! 1 last question, i came across a "USB 2.0 VIDEO CAPTURE AV S-VIDEO ADAPTER PC TV Card" on amazon. I was wondering if this will work as well ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,502 Posts

If you get a DVD recorder, pay the extra few pounds and get one with a hard drive. This makes it easier to transfer recordings and allows you to edit them before burning to a DVD. DVD only recorders are very restricted in what they can do.

Not sure about the card you mention, a link would have been useful.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      Actually no with H264 encoding you can fit about 1-2 hours of 720p video onto a standard dvd but the dvd has to be encoded as a blu ray disk and will only play back on blu ray players .
      Many modern films on blu ray are still using inferior MPEG2 compression which is why they take up a lot more space on the blu ray disks.

To the OP - if you want to capture in HD then theres only one device that'll do that and that's the Hauppauge HD PVR. It only has component input however which means you need an original Thomson SKY HD box or a suitable converter from hdmi to component.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,502 Posts

You can get HD capture cards for a PC but I am not sure if they would record properly from the Sky box, they are really aimed at HD cameras. They will not record HDCP protected material and are quite expensive -
      HDMI Capture Cards - BlackMagic Design Intensity Pro - HDMI & Analogue Video Capture Card

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks alot everyone ! I think am better off with a dvd recorder .