Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky + poor RF output

This is a discussion on Sky + poor RF output within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi Guys, Just connected a second TV to Sky plus via RF 2 and TV Link, the TV link works ...

andrewb113 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01588
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky + poor RF output

Hi Guys,

Just connected a second TV to Sky plus via RF 2 and TV Link, the TV link works fine cable length is around 10m. No external TV antenna connected and i have worked through channels from 21 to 69 looking for a good signal , but even the best in grainy. This seems odd, our old bog standard Sky box had both RF outputs in use via TV Link,s and all had fantastic picture Quality one was even on a 20M Run out to the Garage.

Sky Engineer came out and tried a couple of "New" set top boxes with similar results, they were in plain grey boxes though!

Any Ideas how to get a clean pic from the RF outputs?

Thanks

Andrew

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky + poor RF output

First thing I would do is to connect up the existing TV via coax and tune that in, it sounds like you may have a duff run of coax to the other room.

Have you tried RF1?

Also go into the engineers menu (services, 4, 0, 1 select) and select the channel you want to output on, that way you know exactly where to look.

Thanks

Hi Smithy99

Placed the additional TV Next to the Sky Box on a short lead and tried both outputs, still the same, enter the engineers menu and tried a selection of channels, is there and internat RF output adjustment?

Thanks

Andrew

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Yes, in the RF outlets menu in the engineers menu you can select any channel from 21-69 to output too.

I cannot see a reason why this should not work easily, I would normally suggest a faulty receiver but if you have already had a couple of others to test I am not sure what else to suggest.

It's one of those situations when you really need to be there to try a few different things.

Do you have a VCR anywhere you could plug in and try? That way you could at least test the cable run, It does really sound like a faulty receiver.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If the sky engineer has tried 2 other STB's with the same result and you've tried different cables and output channels, then the only thing left is the second TV. It's possible that some debris has found it's way into the aerial socket on the tv and is shorting the connection or you may have a broken socket on the PCB side, possibly a dry joint fault. If you have one, try another TV, or just plug the RF lead into your main TV and try to tune it in. This will tell you if it's the box or the TV.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I would tend to agree with smithy and pick a channel thats well away from the ones the tv is already tuned to. Dont know why but I had a similar problem until I altered the rf out.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

I also would have agreed, if andrewb113 had not have already stated that there is no external aerial connected and he'd already tried all output channels, therefore eliminating the possibility of co-channel interference.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Good points, but I'm not so sure because -
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb113 View Post
      i have worked through channels from 21 to 69 looking for a good signal
      Which suggests channels 21 to 69 on the tv not the rf outs, and -
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb113 View Post
      enter the engineers menu and tried a selection of channels, is there and internat RF output adjustment?
      Which led me to think the op may not have tried one far enough away from the terrestial channels. I know it was stated that there is no external ariel connected but the channels would still be tuned and I can still get a picture, admitedly poor, without one.

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I am away for the next few days, i am going to start from scratch on Friday, i must be missing something !

Andrew

PhilHirons is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Pipex Business
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky + poor RF output

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having a similar problem...

We have 1 terrestrial aerial pointing at Sutton Coldfield. 2 Sky+ HD boxes fed from a single dish with quad LNB. The aerial feed is split to the two Sky boxes using a passive splitter. The RF2 outputs from the Sky boxes go to one of two 8-way distribution amps. The two amps are not connected, so as to maintain independant IR return signal paths from the different areas of the house. Basically, it's like having two independant dwellings within a single building.

There are two 50" Pioneer 5090 plasmas in use, plus a 40" Samsung LCD. Focussing on just one Pioneer TV, seeing as all exhibit the same problem, Digital TV is fine. Wthout the Sky box connected, analogue terrestrial is also fine. However, connect in the Sky box and the analogue signal is dire. BBC1 is passable, Ch4 & Ch5 are unwatchable, Sky over RF is very poor, including the menu screens.

If I keep the Sky box in place and remove the distribution amp, the picture quality improves massively.

If I attenuate the RF signal, before the aerial splitter, between the splitter and the Sky box, between the Sky box and the distribution amplifier, or between the distribution amplifier and the TV, it makes little or no difference.

It looks like there's an interference issue with the Sky box and the amps (I have tried TVLink Professional and Wolsey amps). I too have tried most suitable different RF chanels but no improvement (trying to keep 3 channels away from DTV muxes or in-use terrestrial frequencies)

I have even tried a passive splitter instead of the distribution amps. While this does improve things a bit (some of the high frequency interference is reduced), the overall picture quality is degraded, compared to when I test the system with no Sky box or no distribution amplifier.

Anyone got any ideas????

Getting a bit desperate now!!

Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast