Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Primary and secondary viewing card swap

This is a discussion on Primary and secondary viewing card swap within the Sky Viewing Card forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, not sure if the terminology is correct but I have my original viewing card in a Sky+ box and ...

chyaweth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Primary and secondary viewing card swap

Hi,

not sure if the terminology is correct but I have my original viewing card in a Sky+ box and the multiroom card in a Sky+ HD box.
      I don't need to continue with multiroom and at the end of the contract will stick with the HD box.
      I assume I'll need to re-pair the original card with the HD box. If I do so will I lose the recordings on it?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Primary and secondary viewing card swap

Hi chyaweth and welcome to the forum.
      Do not swap viewing cards as even after re-pairing you will be unable to play existing encrypted recordings though recordings taken from free to air channels such as the BBC will still be viewable.
      If, as in your case, you have two different Sky boxes the Sky+ HD box will assume the primary viewing card so cancelling multi-screen would disable your Sky+ box.
      The problem occurs where a customer has two (or more) Sky+ HD boxes. In this situation it is important to state the viewing card number for the subscription to be cancelled so that if it is the primary viewing card another one can be promoted as part of the cancellation process.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

chyaweth (01-09-14)

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Primary and secondary viewing card swap

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Hi chyaweth and welcome to the forum.
      Do not swap viewing cards as even after re-pairing you will be unable to play existing encrypted recordings though recordings taken from free to air channels such as the BBC will still be viewable.
      If, as in your case, you have two different Sky boxes the Sky+ HD box will assume the primary viewing card so cancelling multi-screen would disable your Sky+ box.
      The problem occurs where a customer has two (or more) Sky+ HD boxes. In this situation it is important to state the viewing card number for the subscription to be cancelled so that if it is the primary viewing card another one can be promoted as part of the cancellation process.
      This isn't necessarily the case on all accounts. Always give Sky the card number you want to keep (or cancel if you only have 2) and they can promote the kept one to primary and cancel the other.
      Sky+HD SHOULD be the primary card but isn't always.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

seawright (03-09-14)