Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By mrbmrb

New user in disconnected limbo land - tie pair issue

This is a discussion on New user in disconnected limbo land - tie pair issue within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Hi I'm looking for any advice on how to deal with Sky on behalf of my mother who finds herself ...

mrbmrb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMLGS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky SR102
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

New user in disconnected limbo land - tie pair issue

Hi

I'm looking for any advice on how to deal with Sky on behalf of my mother who finds herself a new Sky customer but in limbo land with no phone or broadband service. Living alone and as someone who relies on her landline for incoming calls (her mobile is only seldom used outgoing in an emergency) this isn't good.

She has just moved to Sky from Talktalk. However on her switchover day nothing happened, with no text notifications. I called Sky and eventually found out that there was a problem at the exchange - something to do with tie pairs, that BT Openreach have to fix. Sky said that it should be fixed within 48 hours - but not including the weekend. Then she received a text update on Tue to say that that there was a delay and there would be an update on Fri (10th). Having done some searching on "tie pairs" it sounds as if these can take weeks to fix.
      I asked Sky if they could redirect her landline to her mobile but they say that this is not possible as the new line has not yet been activated, and there is nothing that they can do.

I just can't quite believe that this type of thing can happen in this age of "connected 24 x 7" and am afraid I have visions of her being disconnected for what could be a long time.
      Ofcom say that they can't handle individual complaints and just state how to complain to your provider.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could expedite a fix or a workaround?

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: New user in disconnected limbo land - tie pair issue

Thankfully she has been connected now (although Sky did tell her just beforehand that it was going to be next week!).
      Scubbie and seawright like this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hi mrbmrb.

I'm glad you got it all sorted in the end.
      The importance of services such as phone & broadband for vulnerable people can never be underestimated.

Hopefully the root cause of this situation will improve soon:
      Sky Demands Ofcom Launch UK Competition Inquiry into BT Openreach

Regarding sky's involvement (communication) this may also improve soon:
      Sky Boosts UK Customer Service Team with 400 Extra Jobs

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

It is never nice to have a new installation delayed due to BTO messing things up. Your provider, in this case Sky, has to take it on the chin and get things sorted as quick as they can. Ultimately their hands are tied in most cases.

With regards to having the landline calls redirected, at no additional charge, to a mobile, this has been suggested but at this time it has not been adopted. With Sky wanting to move into the Mobile market it would make even more sense for them to do this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Tx all for the useful info.

Re: redirecting the landline to a mobile, I know TalkTalk receive a lot of bad press (then again don't most large ISPs?) but IIRC their automated system did this as soon as a fault was raised on a landline (and not even to a TT mobile), and it always impressed me.

However, notwithstanding Sky's policy, why in this day and age of remote controlled virtualisation etc. it is impossible to redirect a line that has not yet been physically connected does mystify me.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

BT Retail have done the redirection thing for years too. It is surprising that Sky doesn't.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms