Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Despicable Customer Service

This is a discussion on Despicable Customer Service within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; This is hardly a great way to introduce yourself as a new member to a forum but needs must i'm ...

hardcoresoldier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Angry Despicable Customer Service

This is hardly a great way to introduce yourself as a new member to a forum but needs must i'm afraid. I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Basically i fitted a new TV for my missus mother (well, gave her a TV) on Monday, it wasn't until i disconnected all the ancillary equipment from the old TV that i noticed the actual Sky Box. It was an old Panasonic silver digibox, the EPG was blurry on the display and the picture wasn't too great either. I asked her if she'd ever had a Sky box changed and she said no, bear in mind she has been with Sky for twelve years and has the full TV package minus the Sports package. She is 72 years old, partially disabled and suffers from partial deafness.

I told her the box was knackered and would need changing, she insisted that i leave it there as she could do without the hassle of phoning customer services and being messed about. So i told her that i would speak to CS on her behalf if she stayed beside me in case they needed to clarify any information, she reluctantly agreed. I eventually got through to Customer Services and was instantly told ( please bear in mind i informed them of how long she'd been with them, her age and circumstances) that she would have to upgrade her package to get a new box! I explained her position again but it was pointless. The line broke and i had to ring again, again i was put through to a call centre in India.

I ran through the details again and this time the bloke said he could do a HD box for "two ninety nine". He kept calling me Mr.Davies, assuming i was her partner and thinking i was of the same age, i kept telling him i wasn't but he wouldn't listen. Bear in mind that if somebody says "two ninety nine" then you would automatically assume the price to be two pounds and ninety nine pence. I said to him that it was a cheap price for a HD box and he changed the subject and asked if i wished to proceed with the purchase of the box. So i asked him to confirm the price, again he said "two ninety nine", to which i replied " two pounds ninety nine?", he said no, it was two hundred and ninety nine pounds!

I told him to do one and asked if he could just supply a new box as this box was clapped out after twelve years of use. He said the only thing he could do was send an engineer out which would cost 65, i told him he was having a laugh and he instantly dropped the engineer call out price to fifteen pounds! Again i reiterated the facts of the twelve years custom and honoring of all payments. He said they couldn't do anything until an engineer confirmed the box was knackered. She refused to pay the call out fee so i asked him to be put through to his manager, another Indian bloke. Got nowhere with him and asked to speak to somebody British, was told that i would have to disconnect the call as they were based in India and couldn't transfer the call to the UK. I would have to keep calling until somebody British answered the phone!

What a joke! You know what, i was so ****** off with Sky's shoddy customer service that i have purchased a used Sky+ HD box from EBay with a 5 year warranty for 60, just to sort it out myself. I dread to think what might have happened if she had rung Sky herself and been duped into paying 299 for a HD Box, i think it's disgusting. I will probably end up getting her a Freesat card so she can cancel her Sky contract altogether, what a way to treat a loyal customer.

The upshot of this also is that in view of this disgusting treatment i will also be cancelling my Sky contract too. I have no time for the people who treat the elderly in this manner, people who have fought wars for us. There is no respect for the elderly today, that's not just from Sky may i add, just communities in general.

If an old lady rang me up and asked for help then i'd go out of my way to help her, that's how it should be.

Apologies for a first post like this but i feel it is imperative that people know stuff like this goes on, it could be your mother or grandmother that gets treated like this.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Despicable Customer Service

Way of the world I'm afraid! I had exactly the same problem with my Mum! They said the only way they could give me a new box was if she took out an HD subscription at 10 a month extra, I said there is no point in that because her eye sight isn't very good and she wouldn't notice the difference! After 3 calls and 3 hours on the phone the last guy I spoke to said the only way he could do it was if I took the HD subscription but that they would credit me with 10 a month for 12 months to cover the extra payment.
      Then at the end of 12 months I could cancel the HD subs but keep the box. So each month we paid them an extra 10 and each month they credited it back again! What a ball ache but we got there in the end!

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Just to balance the thread slightly ...

When my mum had a problem with her STB she phoned Sky and got great service - she was asked to go through the usual procedures of unplugging, replugging etc but when that didn't solve her problem she was asked to check the F connectors. She explained that she was a more mature customer and would not be able to do that sort of check, the operator immediately apologised for arranged for an engineer to call at no risk or cost to her. This was on a Saturday and the engineer was at her house before lunch on the Monday and a new box, dish and wiring were installed within hours.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steelysteph View Post
      Just to balance the thread slightly ...

When my mum had a problem with her STB she phoned Sky and got great service - she was asked to go through the usual procedures of unplugging, replugging etc but when that didn't solve her problem she was asked to check the F connectors. She explained that she was a more mature customer and would not be able to do that sort of check, the operator immediately apologised for arranged for an engineer to call at no risk or cost to her. This was on a Saturday and the engineer was at her house before lunch on the Monday and a new box, dish and wiring were installed within hours.
      Well, that's a lovely story and i'm happy for your mother but i didn't ask you to balance the thread. I'm making a point about terrible customer service, not asking for Sky TV apologists to invade the thread. I personally have never had a problem with Sky in over twelve years myself but the fact they would treat an old lady like this makes my blood boil.

I will be trying one more time tomorrow and hopefully i will get through to a UK centre. If not then it's a Freesat card and Sky lose a valuable customer, at least i think customers are meant to be valuable.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoresoldier View Post
      Well, that's a lovely story and i'm happy for your mother but i didn't ask you to balance the thread. I'm making a point about terrible customer service, not asking for Sky TV apologists to invade the thread. I personally have never had a problem with Sky in over twelve years myself but the fact they would treat an old lady like this makes my blood boil.
      will be trying one more time tomorrow and hopefully i will get through to a UK centre. If not then it's a Freesat card and Sky lose a valuable customer, at least i think customers are meant to be valuable.
      If you ring before 7pm you are more likely to get a Uk call centre, if you get the same response just say "oh well I think we will go to Virgin Media, they will give us a new box" you will then normally get put through to retentions dept who tend to have a bit more clout as far as handing out deals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Koala5 For This Useful Post:

hardcoresoldier (16-05-14)

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

Despicable Customer Service

I understand your frustration about elderly people sometimes feeling like they get a rough deal but Sky's system has no way of telling how old someone is other than the customer telling them, they never ask for something that would provide proof of age.

Due to their being no specific rules for elderly they can sometimes only offer what their systems will allow however these will differ from one department to another and also from one account to another.

I would definitely try again as I have seen lots of people posting that they have been persistent and it has paid off, good luck and I hope it works out for you mum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog1979 For This Useful Post:

hardcoresoldier (16-05-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      If you ring before 7pm you are more likely to get a Uk call centre, if you get the same response just say "oh well I think we will go to Virgin Media, they will give us a new box" you will then normally get put through to retentions dept who tend to have a bit more clout as far as handing out deals.
      Thank you for the reply mate, much appreciated. Will try them tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1979 View Post
      I understand your frustration about elderly people sometimes feeling like they get a rough deal but Sky's system has no way of telling how old someone is other than the customer telling them, they never ask for something that would provide proof of age.

Due to their being no specific rules for elderly they can sometimes only offer what their systems will allow however these will differ from one department to another and also from one account to another.

I would definitely try again as I have seen lots of people posting that they have been persistent and it has paid off, good luck and I hope it works out for you mum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Thank you for the reply, is much appreciated. It's my missus' mum and in all honesty i did tell them she was 72 but they couldn't care less. They are in India and couldn't give a crap.

Will ring them tomorrow and see what they can do.