Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The joke that is sky fiber pro 1mb, down, to 19mb up.

This is a discussion on The joke that is sky fiber pro 1mb, down, to 19mb up. within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Did you disable wifi when doing the test with ethernet? Very often wifi will hold on to the connection, even ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: The joke that is sky fiber pro 1mb, down, to 19mb up.

Did you disable wifi when doing the test with ethernet? Very often wifi will hold on to the connection, even when you plug in an ethernet cable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Did you disable wifi when doing the test with ethernet? Very often wifi will hold on to the connection, even when you plug in an ethernet cable.
      If the Router stats are showing almost 80 MB/sec down then that must be the speed at the router. So the loss seems to be after the router. How is the phone/bb split (ie is it at the faceplate or are you using a separate filter)? Just trying to help!

Agree with Tom that you need to turn off WiFi to get a true Ethernet speed reading.

mr eyece is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: black sky hub
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

its been a month i assure you have have done tests with the wifi turned off, iv tried a number of things like connecting thru a different dns, having a second router sent out. i realise im gettin the speed to the router, but as the router is giving the same speeds to anything connected to it, this to me seems to be were the fault would lie

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do you use Sky's On Demand service? If so how is your Sky+ HD box connected to your router?
      If possible use ethernet and disable your router's wifi. With no other devices connected to your router how long does it take before a one hour SD programme is available to watch?
      If you watch it as soon as it's available does it keep buffering or are you able to watch it without interruptions?

Reconnect your PC, log in and open your browser. Repeat the On Demand test using a different one hour SD programme. Is there any difference in the time it takes for the programme to become available and is it watchable?

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Probably an absolutely stupid suggestion / observation -

I thought that all routers used 192.168.0.1 as their default admin page? Have you changed these settings or is the address shown in your screen-shot the default for fibre?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steelysteph View Post
      Probably an absolutely stupid suggestion / observation -

I thought that all routers used 192.168.0.1 as their default admin page? Have you changed these settings or is the address shown in your screen-shot the default for fibre?
      i really should edit that pic a bit more lol. but 192 is your local ip. the ip i used is external

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Do you use Sky's On Demand service? If so how is your Sky+ HD box connected to your router?
      If possible use ethernet and disable your router's wifi. With no other devices connected to your router how long does it take before a one hour SD programme is available to watch?
      If you watch it as soon as it's available does it keep buffering or are you able to watch it without interruptions?

Reconnect your PC, log in and open your browser. Repeat the On Demand test using a different one hour SD programme. Is there any difference in the time it takes for the programme to become available and is it watchable?
      i havent even got the sky bo plugged in as i see it as pointless to do so with my connection being so bad right now

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr eyece View Post

i havent even got the sky bo plugged in as i see it as pointless to do so with my connection being so bad right now
      The router's stats are good. I was suggesting the Sky+ HD box to either confirm the problem or rule out the cause being any other connected equipment.

Thanks

I'm sure that you've already checked the attached equipment list to see if there's anything weird connected to your router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm sure that you've already checked the attached equipment list to see if there's anything weird connected to your router.
      of course, as iv said i know its not the connected equipment, if you read the first post you would know that even the bt engineer tried his own laptop and got the same results

- - - Updated - - -

of course, as iv said i know its not the connected equipment, if you read the first post you would know that even the bt engineer tried his own laptop and got the same results

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr eyece View Post
      I have read the first post, I'm not in the habit of trying to help without reading as much as possible about the problem. I was just thinking that there may be some unknown device / user jumping on to your wifi and hogging all of your broadband.

I hope that you do find a solution, unfortunately it won't be coming from me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast