Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Leaving Sky, can't take any more

This is a discussion on Leaving Sky, can't take any more within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Just spent 20 minutes on the phone being badgered into not leaving. Since December I have had hassle every single ...

Tazmaniandevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cameronian Street
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Leaving Sky, can't take any more

Just spent 20 minutes on the phone being badgered into not leaving. Since December I have had hassle every single day thanks to Sky broadband and talk.
      The last straw was being without a telephone for over 3 weeks. "There's nothing wrong, your line has passed the tests."
      It is a sad, sad day when you have to go to the top of the food chain before someone will listen.

Moving to the Yorkshire fellows. Everyone I know who uses them raves about the quality of the service. They're offering 78meg, unlimited (fair use policy naturally), and same calls package as Sky talk anytime, for 2/month less.
      After what I have experienced in the not quite 2 full months with Sky - it really cannot be any worse.

Really, really disappointed with the (lack of) service and the abysmal customer services. Apologies to anyone on here who actually works for the company, but the culture of giving discounts & freebies in place of decent service is no way to treat customers.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Leaving Sky, can't take any more

I am aware that you have posted about your experiences on the Sky forums.

There is no excuse for the issues you have had with the siple fact that BTO's Engineers have not turned up to do the work.

I appreciate that there might be an issue on Sky's side with some of the failed appointments, but ultimately the manner in which Sky, as a provider, and for that matter any other provider, must wait until the next available appointment for BTO's failure is disgusting. This is down to Ofcom's rules, not Sky's.

Personaly I think that you need to raise your issues with Ofcom. Point out that having to wait days between failed appointments is unacceptable. Ask them to change thing so that when BTO fail to do a job they MUST be back within 24 hours.

If the lines are faulty, then they need repairing or replacing.

Ultimately I do not have the full history of your issue in front of me. It would therefore be unfair for me to say that it al lies with (a) or (b).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

During my 20 minute badgering with Sky on Monday, it became apparent that as was previously admitted by the Executive Support Team, the initial order was placed incorrectly. Despite giving Sky the MAC supplied by my previous provider, it was not used. In addition, the order was put through by the agent as ADSL to fibre despite my repeating that I was already a fibre user. I also queried whether a BTO engineer would actually need to visit, considering I had a BTO fibre modem etc. already installed.
      When the switch did not take place, I was told that it can take up to 2 weeks after the switch for the broadband to "go live," and that my telephone order would be completed by close of business.
      I called back next day, because my telephone was not switched. I was told by the agent that no order had been raised with BTO for my service to be switched. This switch date had been confirmed by Sky 3 times prior to the switch date.
      The agent raised the order with BTO on the Saturday, and (he said) the switch was confirmed for the Monday.
      When the switch did not take place on the Monday, I called again. I was told then that no engineer would be required because BTO informed Sky that the customer (me) already has fibre. I was told a new order would need to be raised with BTO, and that the switch could take up to 28 days.
      I finally sent an e-mail to a certain Mr J.D. and the case was picked up by the Executive Support Team. My case was escalated and EST contacted BTO to have the switch expedited. At that time the EST person admitted the order had not been placed correctly. What I was told was the order was raised on the Sky systems, but not on the BTO system. I was also given an apology for the rudeness of call centre staff, and the "incorrect information" (aka lies) I was told by call centre staff.
      My service finally went live a full 7 days later than I was promised.

Add to this, my umpteen reports of no telephone service were closed because "the line test passed" but I was given no update, and nothing was logged in the "View My Help Requests" section of the Sky website. My very lengthy chat, from which I kept a transcript, likewise was closed with no notification and nothing was logged in the "View My Help Requests" section of the Sky website. Also the agent's promise to escalate the case to the Sky Talk team was not carried out. I had to contact EST yet again to have the fault raised with BTO.

Personally, I don't see any of this being down to BTO engineers turning up to do a job. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, naturally. When fairly senior members of staff give me information via email, I tend to take this at face value and believe it to be true. I have been told that the EST are pretty much as high as one can go with Sky, and assume this is also true.

My last communication from Sky's EST states "I am obviously dissappointed that you are now looking to leave us. I have arranged that you will not be charged any early termination charges on transfer."

It will be very interesting to see whether this is the case come switch time.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

The MAC code is not required by Sky as you are switching to their kit. MACs work well when switching from one BT Wholesale supplier to another, not to/from an LLU provider such as Sky. The process fr using a MAC code with Fibre I believe is coming but I am not sure if it is in full use yet.

The Executive Support Team should have been able to pick things up and complete the order successfully. I am at a loss as to why things continued to not go well.

As for the 'early termination charge' this is correct practise under Ofcom guidelines.

I can only hope that things improve with your next provider.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I really do not see how it could be any worse. From the customer's point of view - There should have been no need for me to contact JD in the first place. Customer support staff should have made sure things did not go wrong to the extent they did. When staff are being rude to the point of abusive, I tend to dig my heels in and apply Newton's third law.
      The truth of the matter, according to EST at any rate, is that the order was placed incorrectly in the first place. There was an error which allowed the order to be confirmed 3 times. These confirmations stated quite clearly my broadband & phone would be switched on a specified date. For call centre staff to then tell me that it can take up to 14 days for the Sky systems to start working following the switch date is, in my opinion, unacceptable. I do not remember being told this when I signed up, and it is not mentioned in any of the documentation. I have reviewed the documents Sky sent me several times, and there is no mention of this.
      The MAC not being used is a completely separate matter. I was informed by my previous ISP that if the MAC was not used I would be charged a cease fee, which is charged to the ISP by BT, and that until the cease order was given to BT I would continue to be charged for the use of the equipment. Sky assured me they would take care of this, and that the MAC would be used.
      So, sorry to cast doubt on your assertion, but someone is incorrect. Incidentally, I have it in writing from Sky that the MAC would be used. EST also apologised for the MAC not being used, and agreed that it should have.
      I'm not sticking up for BTO, but they can only act on the information given to them. If this information is incorrect, they can hardly be blamed for not doing something it is not possible to do.

So far I have found the switching process to the Yorkshire people exemplary. The entire process is completely transparent. Every step is recorded on the website, so I am able to see that an order has been raised for BTO to do the necessary in the exchange, and an order has been raised for my router. They also provide log-on details so in the event anything goes wrong with the post, I can access my broadband using a.n.other router. I get updates by text & email every time the status changes.
      Now that is the kind of service I expect from a 21st century company.

LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry to hear you've had problems, but as with all companies, it's down to pot luck I believe.

I had awful service from Plusnet when I was with them a few years ago; BT was by far the worst though.

I've always found Sky to be ever so helpful when contacting them in regards to faults/queries.