Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By moosie

Bad Weather=No Sky=£65 Repair!!!

This is a discussion on Bad Weather=No Sky=£65 Repair!!! within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Hi there, I was just wondering if somebody could tell me where I stand? During the recent bad weather our ...

moosie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NSIUR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Angry Bad Weather=No Sky=£65 Repair!!!

Hi there,
      I was just wondering if somebody could tell me where I stand? During the recent bad weather our Sky tv just stopped working, when you turn it on it just says "no satellite signal", We waited a few days hoping that Sky would fix it but it never happened, So we took the next step and called them up this morning only to be told we would have to pay £65 for an engineer to come out and look at it...

Surely this can't be right, We've been with them for 5 plus years and never asked for a thing, We've still got the same crappy router and box they gave us when we took out the contract but I don't suppose any of that matters to them.

Anyone know any fixes I could try? Or is my only option to cancel my account cause paying money for a box/dish that don't work is just crazy stupid and i'm not willing to pay the £65.00 either.(Red angry smiley with smoke coming out of it's ears)

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Bad Weather=No Sky=£65 Repair!!!

Unfortunately this is quite correct, when you take out a sky contract they give the equipment for free, and once the equipments warranty runs out it is your problem unless you have taken some warranty on it like you would a TV or washing machine. Plus side is for £65 they will do what ever is necessary to get it going again including replacing the dish or box if needed and they give you a 3 or 6 month warranty on the repair, can't remember which. The other option is to ring them to cancel your subscription speak to the retentions dept and if they are in a good mood you might get a free repair, but that's not always the case.
      I had something similar when my Mum wanted to get Sky Talk she already had Sky TV, I said that as a condition of her ordering Sky Talk I wanted her 10 year old Sky TV box replaced, they didn't want to know! They said it would be £250 for a new box. They only way I could get a free box was to take HD subscription.
      I did get it in the end after a long 2 hour phone negotiation where I frettened to cancel several times!

To be fair £65 is quite cheap for a complete repair when you consider that if you call someone out to your boiler or washing machine they want about £100 to just step over the door step! That's before they replace any parts!
      Last edited by Koala5; 08-12-13 at 01:05 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Koala5 For This Useful Post:

moosie (08-12-13)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If speaking to cancellations doesn't help an alternative is to take out an extended warranty with Sky Protect. It does cost a bit more (£99 when I last checked) but it does cover all your Sky equipment, even your router, for a whole year. You don't have to pay for it in a lump sum either as you can spread the cost over twelve months.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

moosie (08-12-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What is the make and model of your box? If its a Thomson, Sky were replacing these for free. If you have one it may be worth trying for a replacement on the grounds that you can't get On Demand.

Meanwhile, try a System Update. As you are getting a No Satellite signal it may not work, but is worth a try.First check that the cables into the box are securely fixed, and check visually that the disk is in place with the cables attached. Then carry out the following -

1. Power off your Sky+ HD STB at the mains
      2. Press and hold the Backup button on the top of the box, not the remote control.
      3. Power on the Sky+ HD STB at the mains, whilst continuing to hold the Backup button
      4. Keep holding the button until either the four LEDs on the front, to the right of the centre of the Sky box illuminate or the display on your TV confirms that the process has begun.
      5. It will take about 10-15mins and the box will be left in Standby. Give it another 2 or 3 mins then press the Sky button to restart.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

moosie (08-12-13)

moosie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NSIUR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks for all the replies guys, Tom I tried a few different things but still got the "No sat signal", i'm not sure about the make/model but i'll have remember that and check it later, thanks.

Update...My wife called Sky and spoke to a different guy this time who gave us a good deal which included the engineer, full service/repair, dish alignment checked/ fixed, replacement reconditioned box plus a 2nd box(installed) for kids room, only £2.50 extra per month.
      Can't really complain about that, Thank you the man from Sky.

Cheers.
      Isitme and seawright like this.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If this happened after the recent wind it is probably no more than dish alignment (10 min job). If not then water ingress into the LNB F connector, both of which shouldn't happen if installed correctly in the first place. TBH if you had dug your heals in & said cancel i'm sure they would soon have fixed it FOC!! I used to spend my day correcting crappy installs
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.