Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Parents Internet Speeds Are Ridiculous!

This is a discussion on Parents Internet Speeds Are Ridiculous! within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Hi, My parents have been with BT for the last 6 years and everything went great, they received roughly 8 ...

MilkBone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NESTN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exclamation Parents Internet Speeds Are Ridiculous!

Hi,

My parents have been with BT for the last 6 years and everything went great, they received roughly 8 meg down and 0.7 up. However, since leaving BT and going with Sky, the internet speeds have been appalling to say the least. During the morning it seems to be ok - roughly 5 - 6 meg. However, as soon as it hits evening the line turns to complete ****. The best speeds achieved is about 0.9 down. With this, my parents can't do anything, it takes too long to surf web pages, they can't watch Netflix and can't download anything.

We rang Sky up and they told us it says in the small print that its acceptable for the line speed to drop up to 90%!! That is outrageous! This week, an engineer came out and reset the line due to the socket being old, and this improved the line marginally.

Here are the stats for the router and speed test.

Router Statistics
      System Up Time: 168:25:26
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 19116573 18634294 0 1085597 261325 58:48:15
      LAN Up 1783125 1318862 0 52596 7557 168:25:26
      WLAN Up 4455935 2881166 0 1634029 165058 168:25:00
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 5.5 dB 3.0 dB
      Noise Margin 16.5 dB 28.28 dB

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Parents Internet Speeds Are Ridiculous!

Straight away I can see the problem.

They are on the best speed they can get on the current setup as they are on Sky Connect. We can see this by looking at the router stats and the upload speed is at 448kbps. The download is also at 8129kbps.

Whilst there are still a number of peopl eon this product, it isn't one any of the regular members would recommend.

Personally I would see if Sky can upgrade them to Sky Fibre Unlimited (SFU) or otherwise move them away asap.

There are a few threads on this forum detailing the issues, but essentially if they go over the daily limit of around 1.3GB too many days in a row, they get throttled to the speeds you are seeing in the results.

Connect is a BTW product rebadged. Sky charges line rental and 17 per month. SFU is currently 20 per month but there might be an interesting deal available provided that Fibre is available for them. SFU may be overkill for their requirements, but it is a very nice product with unlimited downloads and no throttling.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

MilkBone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NESTN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Thank you for replying so quick, I can confirm that my parents are using the connect package.

I have just finished speaking with a Sky representative and he says that the connect package is the only one available in the area. So no fibre or sky unlimited. I just find this odd considering BT gave us the full line speed.

The rep said he's passed on the details to higher tier but by the sounds of it, there is no fault with the line, but rather a shoddy package that is utterly ridiculous.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Sorry about this.

Sky Connect uses the ADSL standard, as well as capping. There is no option to pay for extra bandwidth.

Your parents were most likely on 21CN or ADSL2+ previously.

If your parents have only just joined Sky broadband then they should be able to leave without any penalty as it obviously appears to be unsuitable for their needs. Check the wording though!

A couple of years back I helped a friend's mum sign up to PlusNet (PN) as Sky could only offer the connect package. Since then their exchange has had Sky's kit installed and she is now on Sky Broadband Unlimited. At the time PN offered the best option/prices in her exchange.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MilkBone View Post
      Thank you for replying so quick, I can confirm that my parents are using the connect package.

I have just finished speaking with a Sky representative and he says that the connect package is the only one available in the area. So no fibre or sky unlimited. I just find this odd considering BT gave us the full line speed.

The rep said he's passed on the details to higher tier but by the sounds of it, there is no fault with the line, but rather a shoddy package that is utterly ridiculous.
      Basically Sky Broadband Connect is ***** or not very good in other words.

This should be legislated against, but unfortunately this is the only service BT Wholesale offer to LLU providers in non-LLU areas.

Unfortunately BT wholesale only give access to the "21st century" network if they (the provider) take a bundle deal for broadband in all exchanges (Orange used to be an LLU provider but they have gone down this BT wholesale route a few years ago [and so has the new Fibre Service from Everything Everywhere, to give EE their full name]), cherry picking exchanges like LLU providers do means only a traffic shaped up to 8Mbit service is all they will offer in these exchanges. Many of these exchanges can only get up to 8mbit anyway so some customers don't notice a difference between the two but the traffic shaping is definitely worse.

Unfortunately, in the short/medium term to give customers the best experience then the BT Wholesale option may be the best for a nationwide service.

The fact that Fibre is cheaper in non-unbundled exchanges than Wholesale Broadband Connect should be an upside for those paying excessive amounts for their broadband and looking for a faster service.
      Last edited by bubblegun; 03-11-13 at 11:53 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is always sad to see a line like your parents which would get 24Mb, with unlimited use on the Sky LLU service, crippled by being on the Connect package. This is without doubt one of the worst if not the worst broadband package available in UK. It does not really matter how much you use, whether you go over the daily quota or not, the line will be strangled out of existence. You parents should leave immediately quoting an unusable service as the reason.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.