Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it?

This is a discussion on Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it? within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; I have endured a miserable six months over Broadband 'Speed' issues. BT and Sky blaming each other etc. Eventually it ...

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Angry Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it?

I have endured a miserable six months over Broadband 'Speed' issues. BT and Sky blaming each other etc. Eventually it was proven to be BT's fault with sub-standard exterior wiring. Following replacement, Sky were requested to re-profile my line and perhaps 'un-cap' it, as the down SNR margin had dropped me off so many times since March.

This they promised had been done, but from Router Stats it clearly hasn't, so I'm now stuck with a third of what I had 6 months ago. Today they've won, as I now don't have the will left to keep up this War of Attrition with their customer service 'script reading' automatons from the 'sub-continent' any more. However the plot unravels further, when discussed with other broadband users locally. BT have now enabled / installed Fibre optic at our exchange. I live in an apartment block of 9 residences, where we are all retired and have an active 'leaseholders' association. At our meeting last night, I tabled a question over Broadband reception. It turns out that ALL of us have been throttled by up to 60% in the past few months. Additionally the BT punters (6) have all been approached by them advising each customer, that 'they will get lightening assured connections, compared to ADSL!'

So far SKy haven't got onto the front foot with this call centre gambit - but I'm sure once they get round to really screwing our speeds down to dial up levels they will!

This is obviously a blatant abuse of market power within an Oligopoly and I'm meeting with my MP to try and table this matter in Parliament, as many of his fellow members are getting complaints reflecting exactly similar circumstances, from their own constituents. What it really needs is for the likes of BT and Sky to be exposed publicly for this shameless, contrived, huckstering!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it?

Sky do not deliberately throttle the line, and the fact you're in an apartment block is the likely cause of the issues as the wiring in such buildings is usually terrible and 99% of the time is the cause. Now, getting BT/the management company of the building to fix this is like pulling teeth but Sky can't be held accountable for the money-saving techniques of others...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

The BT engineer, didn't think that was the case, the building is only 6 years old and he knows it, and the location well, having been on this area for over 20 years. He did clearly state the fault was with BT, detailing the perished 'legs' connecting each one of my pair to the frame I'm afraid that I'm a bit more sceptical over Sky's veracity, but its good to hear that that they don't throttle. In fact since I created the thread my noise margin down has now increased by over 8 points, which suggests something is going on as there was a re-boot they're end about 80 mins ago (see stats)? Maybe the CAP they denied was on, has been lifted, or they/BT are instigating DLM. I haven't seen 14.8db down for over 7 months now? This is all a great shame, as I enjoyed faultless broadband for 6 years prior to this March. It seems Sky support has a menu of progressing a fault and don't/won't listen to customer input, when it's really relevant? Alternatively they are unskilled call centre operatives with no technical knowledge?
      Attached Images Attached Images

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

From my 3 years at CST we were extremely knowledgeable so it would be more likely an issue with Sky's hands being tied as they can only log it to BT and hope the do the job they're instructed to do...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

skydance (03-09-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Surely if the 'legs' are breaking at one of the junctions, this issue will also be present with many other residents where you live.

From what I seen posted on the forum, BTO will be unwilling to get on and repair the work for everyone without a specific work order which just won't be generated.
      skydance likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

skydance (03-09-13)

Thanks

I'll ask our residents to report this condition of reduced speed to BT. The chap who called here said Sky set up their own DLM, but when I rung Sky as soon after he'd left, the lady did say they hadn't received an engineers reply, to my fault.

She also confirmed they had commenced this, as I held the line for her to get confirmation. From what IWNTE says above this seems to fit as she was probably talking to BT, not Sky engineers and I have found BT 'unreliable' to e mild about it!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

If any are unsure, could I suggest that you get them to all run 'Router Stats Lite' for a week? This will show up any trends and provided that everyone saves the graph, you could analyse the data and get everyone to complain to their providers all at the same time with a common complaint.

I have no idea if this will help you all to make progress, but a coordinated complaint like this with evidence should help you all.
      skydance likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks like your last engineers visit did some good, unlike the previous one reported here - Reduced Service since March Your noise margin is now much healthier so if I were you I would get on to Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line and restart DLM. I would say at the moment your line has been set to 4096/800, you should more than double that in the downstream.
      skydance likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well a deal of progress to report. Last night I had a Sky engineer 'Kevin'' on from Dunfermline for over an hour. He was really excellent, very patient and obviously the next level up. Whilst, yes we did go through the 'Test Socket' trial he held on, why I completed removal of faceplate filter, booting up router etc etc. I don't mind doing these tasks, but with only one arm, they take a little longer than most Sky people were previously prepared to wait on for. Afterwards my stats and speed have improved significantly. He thought I should be able to achieve 9.mbps with my connection, so an actual of high 7's, low 8's maybe after DLM has completed. He was concerned at the faults that were accruing on the line, so I'm in the test socket for 48 hours with a number to ring him on, to enable Sky to get a better view on what's happening v's BT's side of it. There's a good chance BT in this area have bad connections all round? My neighbour's are also 'en bloc' complaining to our beloved helpful National provider and I noticed the suspect street cabinet with it's front off this morning and a 'spy' opposite its location, is keeping an eye out. In all cases in our building, I have discovered BT have denied there's anything wrong of course! Being older folk they have sadly all just settled for this story and none of them even knew what a router did, let alone accessing stats. My downstairs neighbour is with BT, home hub etc. His stats were appalling at one stage last night, after I'd accessed them! His Down noise was at one stage - 0.2! followed by a drop-off. Speed all evening was below 1mb, but later doubled on a re-boot. He'd rung BT many times and was told they don't have to be responsible for Broadband, only the phone connection! He asked them why he should continue paying them 17 a month therefore for broadband? Inevitably at 84, he's given up the Internet and forgot he was still paying for it. Sadly there were loads of emails with photo's from his daughter in Australia, some of which he's now enjoying.

I post my latest stats and will report back, once DLM has completed, thank you sincerely for staying with me on this everyone, but hopefully 6 old timers will get a better service from this correspondence.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skydance View Post
      I'll ask our residents to report this condition of reduced speed to BT. The chap who called here said Sky set up their own DLM, but when I rung Sky as soon after he'd left, the lady did say they hadn't received an engineers reply, to my fault.

She also confirmed they had commenced this, as I held the line for her to get confirmation. From what IWNTE says above this seems to fit as she was probably talking to BT, not Sky engineers and I have found BT 'unreliable' to e mild about it!
      Thanks Scubbie,

One BT sub here (ground floor) has got BT calling tomorrow, I have just done a 'quiet line' test and his noise was appalling poor chap, just as bad as my own used to be. He was told by BT it's not their fault, and that it was down to the 'RADAR' at the local 'Costguard Station'! BT now definitely know there's concerted action here, as it was mentioned when the Engineer was booked! Another resident was with the 'Mirror' as a journalist for 30 years, so he's photographed a new blue cabinet, v's our shocking old green thingy and has sent a satirical story out to his contacts on the network to see if it can be syndicated! Apparently the Beeb are also now in the loop too!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast