Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it?

This is a discussion on Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it? within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; WANoE is specifically only for FTTC connections. Sadly only Sky can set the line to G.DMT (unless you happen to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it?

WANoE is specifically only for FTTC connections.

Sadly only Sky can set the line to G.DMT (unless you happen to be using a non-Sky router).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      WANoE is specifically only for FTTC connections.

Sadly only Sky can set the line to G.DMT (unless you happen to be using a non-Sky router).
      Thanks Scubie, if Sky don't/won't/can't reset to G.DMT then I guess I'll have to buy a new router that can allow me to try G.DMT?

I have an old netgear DG834GT, still around and working somewhere and also a

Sagecom F2st2304
      Firmware Version 5.14.6.1a4N ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b

Perhaps one on of those might have ADSL2 alternatives, if not it's eBay for one that does, or probably switch to 'Avonlne' satellite connection giving 20mb up and 10mb down. More expensive, but at my age the stress of dealing with Sky altogether would end, as I'd pack the whole lot in with them (43 a month) and the saving would soon payback the initial outlay and rental (4months).

To me even if Sky do convert me to G.DMT and it cures the problem, they'll only regresss somewhere along the line to ADSL2+again and I'm in for months of misery all over again.

At least I can now draw perception from the contrasts suggested here and again thanks.

If Sky do ever contact me I'll report the outcome...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have an old netgear DG834GT, still around and working somewhere and also a
      You will be able to set this to G.DMT only, which will over ride the Sky setting, but I am not sure what will happen if your line is capped. I am not certain you can do this if it has Sky firmware, you might need to flash it to standard or DGteam firmware.

You can't change the Sagem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You will be able to set this to G.DMT only, which will over ride the Sky setting, but I am not sure what will happen if your line is capped. I am not certain you can do this if it has Sky firmware, you might need to flash it to standard or DGteam firmware.

You can't change the Sagem.
      Thank you,

I'll give Sky the full 72 hours they say they respond within, then I'll dig out the old Netgear and see what happens.

My gratitude as always,

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

If the DG835GT does allow this then great. Tom's knowledge of this router is better than mine.

Most of the ADSL2+ routers available in the shops now appear to have an automatic mode and do not allow you to manually set ADSL over ADSL2+.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

skydance (19-09-13)

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If the DG835GT does allow this then great. Tom's knowledge of this router is better than mine.

Most of the ADSL2+ routers available in the shops now appear to have an automatic mode and do not allow you to manually set ADSL over ADSL2+.
      The Stock Firmware allows Manual DSL mode selection from what I remember, can't comment on the sky butchered version though.

Also if it's corroded joints in the Distribution frame in your comms room it could come down to a fight over who owns the cable, If it's on the side that comes in from the street then it's probably BT cable and as such they should replace it.

if it's however the cable going from the distribution point in the comms room to your flat then it might be owned by whoever owns the building hence I could understand BT not wanting to do anything to fix/replace it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

skydance (19-09-13)

Thanks

Sky eventually called after they had failed to contact me within 72 hours and I had to chase them.

They have now re-set on G.DMT and the 'Technician' told me I'd had over 64,000 faults in 3 weeks, from the commencement of the previous bout of DLM. This one said that after half an hour there had been no faults following the re-set. I definitely got the impression there was a 'CAP' on the line which has now been lifted. There has been an improvement in speed, but already the noise has reduced to 6.1db at around 8pm, which means even lower after midnight, so it looks like I'm locked in the loop once again. It's like being in a lift that goes from the top floor to the ground, with stops on the way and no 'UP' buttons!

The Sky man did also say he thought the faults were 'Wireless' i.e my end. I've noticed the router now shows TKIP-AES under Wireless Encryption.

I am in a blcck of 9 apartments and being the Penthouse I have the Top floor of 4 storeys to myself. That said although my router is located above a wardrobe, it is very adjacent (a few feet) from a large VHF loft aerial and connector in the loft of the apartments above my ceiling.

Could other routers in the building be causing problems?

I haven't touched anything now for 3 weeks so tonight I tried changing the Wireless Channels. As soon as I got to 4, the router crashed and had to be reset manually. Since then, on auto the 'Ping' time has halved and its much faster as a result. The Stats shown are both sides of the re-set.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The Sky man did also say he thought the faults were 'Wireless' i.e my end.
      That may effect your wireless speeds but it should not effect your connection to the internet, which is your main problem. You are back on ADSL2+ by the way, so I think you are right, your speed is going to drop again unless they have tweaked it some other way. Maybe using ADSL2.

You should run Routerstats lite for a couple of days to see how your speed and noise margin are behaving.

Internet Software

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skydance View Post
      Sky eventually called after they had failed to contact me within 72 hours and I had to chase them.

They have now re-set on G.DMT and the 'Technician' told me I'd had over 64,000 faults in 3 weeks, from the commencement of the previous bout of DLM. This one said that after half an hour there had been no faults following the re-set. I definitely got the impression there was a 'CAP' on the line which has now been lifted. There has been an improvement in speed, but already the noise has reduced to 6.1db at around 8pm, which means even lower after midnight, so it looks like I'm locked in the loop once again. It's like being in a lift that goes from the top floor to the ground, with stops on the way and no 'UP' buttons!
      Sounds like a load of codswallop, 64K CRC errors perhaps, which is actually very low for 3 weeks uptime.

I do wonder if it was a technician or someone talking out their backside trying to sound like they knew what they were saying.

Thanks

Thank you for the reply. So they Lied when they said G.DMT had been enabled!

What a bunch of despicable charlatans they are. I suppose they just hope that inevitably inertia sets in and you grow weary of bothering or better stiil leave to join another ISP.

My latest stats are attached, showing the start of the decline as always!
      Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast