Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it?

This is a discussion on Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it? within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; It looks very like you have been put on G.DMT(original ADSL ) or ADSL2. They used to do this with ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Deliberately throttling ADSL to cull it?

It looks very like you have been put on G.DMT(original ADSL) or ADSL2. They used to do this with longer lines which were giving problems but I thought they had dropped the practise. I am guessing this from your sync figures and the drop in your attenuation. I don't think there is any way to check on your particular router, but time will tell.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

skydance (05-09-13)

3. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skydance View Post
      ...He was told by BT it's not their fault, and that it was down to the 'RADAR' at the local 'Costguard Station'!...
      I am so sorry, but I really cannot say what I want to say in order to answer this.

I'll give you a very brief list of some of the features in the local area:

Lee-on-solent - Coastguard station - someone stole the fibre last year which caused a few problems.
      Portsdown Hill - A very large RADAR installation, including the early warning system watching over the USSR (sorry, Russia)
      Portsmouth Naval Dockyard - Well let's forget all the naval vessels which use this port for now. There is also a number of ferries (IoW every 30 mins, Normandy is quite frequent too, along with many cargo ships.
      Fareham - Major Air Traffic Control and Weather centre

I won't even start with the various aircraft which fly overhead, including many helicoptors.

Perhaps if he were to blame the emergency services for their poorly maintained radio system which you may or may not have on your roof, it would almost be more believable.

Good to know that you are now on the case. Hopefully everyone in the block can get a better telephone system working soon.

BTW: I am not suggesting that the emergency services use poor kit, I would expect it to be well maintained. It should also be well insulated so as not to affect anything else. Just using it to make a point.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

skydance (05-09-13)

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Uk Emergency Services all use Airwave (communications network) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which operates in the 400Mhz band and essentially works in the same way as a mobile phone network with masts dotted around the country.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James_Mitchell For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (04-09-13),skydance (05-09-13)

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Now going from bad to worse now. Noise level is increasing, line drops off etc. Speed now back to where it was before I started complaining.

Groundhog Day
      all over again! It's driving me mad with anger and frustration.

Emailed Sky again complaing. They then requested the account password. Next day they wrote back saying the details were wrong, which they are not as I checked them with their Call Centre this afternoon. Funny how they've worked without a blink on the old Direct Debit every time they've jacked it up for the past 14 years!

Obviously they don't want to answer the problem and the differing operatives are just finding ways to 'churn' my emails. Can anyone tell me how I can elevate this to the notice of higher management, who care, if such exists in this sea of apathy and inertia?

Many thanks if you can help

Thanks

Sorry current speed so slow the post above was duplicated by error...
      Last edited by skydance; 10-09-13 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Reprated by error

Thanks

Can you post your stats again please? I suspect you have been put back on to ADSL2+ and your line cannot handle it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Groundhog Day

Sky have emailed again saying they have elevated the matter as there is no problem on the line!

An improvement as yesterday I didn't exist?

Stats attached and sorry I thought I'd done this, but the post must have hit the Sky Bermuda Triangle (drop out) as I sent them...
      Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

As I suspected, you have been put back on ADSL2+ and your line cannot handle it*. This may be an automatic reaction to DLM being put on the line but given the evidence of the stats posted in #9, this is a bad move. You would be better off if they could take DLM of your line and configure it using G.DMT. You should try to get through to the CST and ask them to put you permanently on G.DMT. Point out that your stats were much better on this mode and there is no real advantage using ADSL2+ as your line will not get over 8Mb in its present state.

*ADSL2+ uses a higher frequncy range than G.DMT(ADSL1) noise in the higher frequencies can badly interfere with the broadband signal and that I think is what is happening to you.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As I suspected, you have been put back on ADSL2+ and your line cannot handle it*. This may be an automatic reaction to DLM being put on the line but given the evidence of the stats posted in #9, this is a bad move. You would be better off if they could take DLM of your line and configure it using G.DMT. You should try to get through to the CST and ask them to put you permanently on G.DMT. Point out that your stats were much better on this mode and there is no real advantage using ADSL2+ as your line will not get over 8Mb in its present state.

*ADSL2+ uses a higher frequncy range than G.DMT(ADSL1) noise in the higher frequencies can badly interfere with the broadband signal and that I think is what is happening to you.
      Thank you,

I'm due another Sky CST Groundhog Day call this evening probably - test socket, reset router with pin, disconeect everything from the script, dee da, dee da, and I'll then request them to follow your advice.

Thank you for staying with me on this saga, I really appreciate this. Wouldn't it help if Sky CST kept a file on each complaint at least at the 'elevated' level to increase efficiency and customer appreciation.

I'm convinced still that they 'churn' CST requests for the sake of their internal call centre / email receptance targets, callously treating subscribers as collateral damage in that aim.

Worse of all, no-one within Sky seems to care or give a damn, their 'Mission Statements' are meaningless sophistry!

Thanks

Well no response from good old Sky this evening. I've had a look at my router which is set to Auto, with an option of WANoE only as an alternative - nothing I could see to G.DMT? I appreciate its probably something they only can do, but with their record I don't have any trust left in them.

The latest email read;

Dear xxxx

Customer Account Number: xxxxxxxxx

I am sorry that you are facing issue with the Broadband speed. I understand your concern about the slow speed issue. I appreciate that you have followed the checks.

I have run a test on your line and was unable to locate any fault on your line. As you have followed all the checks, I have escalated the issue to the higher technical team and can confirm that the you will be contacted within the next 24 to 72 hours to fix the issue. The escalation reference number is 1002 0106 8820.

If you require any further assistance, you can reply to my email.

Kind regards

Anand

Sky Help Centre

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast