Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extremely slow, frequent stalling connection

This is a discussion on Extremely slow, frequent stalling connection within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; I am a student and after a very happy 9 months living away from home under the soaring wings of ...

Redcoat-Mic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Extremely slow, frequent stalling connection

I am a student and after a very happy 9 months living away from home under the soaring wings of Virgin Media 50mb fibre optic cable connection, I return home to Sky. It's a very unpleasant experience let me tell you.

The connection is just completely shot, I have no idea what is wrong with it.
      I would say 'sometimes it's fine' but it's never fine, it's never as fast as it should be, I know that they never come near there advertised speed but this never comes near to never coming near...

Currently I watched in horror as something downloaded at 10kbs, I haven't seen that since 2003 56kb... After finally having enough I went on the router page and reset it and that only made it worse and for the past 2 hours it's randomly stopped working, forcing me to turn it on and off at the router...

Help would greatly be appreciated if anyone can muster a guess to what is the matter.

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023o.d20h
      Modem Status Up
      DownStream Connection Speed 5952
      UpStream Connection Speed 448
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 433 409 0 1931 80 0:01:55
      LAN 2132 1909 0 1 48 87 0:02:46
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 0:02:21
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5984 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 db 27.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 24.0 db

The most annoying thing is there doesn't SEEM to be anything wrong with it as far as I can tell, Speedtest and Pingtest responded well, with 2mbs download, 0.3 upload and a grade B 62 ping. Of course then the server stopped responding, notifying me it was time to turn the router on and off for 3 more minutes of internet before I have to repeat it.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Extremely slow, frequent stalling connection

From your stats there is something up with your setup or filter at a guess. What is connected to your telephone line, how many sockets are in use on it, how many filters, are you in the main socket and do you have a test socket you can take a new set of stats from?
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Main issue is being on Connect
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As IWNTE says, you are on Sky Connect which is the worst of the worst, it is heavily throttled during peak hours and they seem to be getting longer and longer.

You only have one option to improve your connection and that is to leave Sky broadband and move to a better managed network.

I would advise Plusnet/Zen if you cannot get any LLU providers where you are.

Redcoat-Mic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It can't be just throttling though, it's not slow, it's unusable. Most of my programs don't think I'm even connected to the internet and put me in offline mode, pictures haven't a prayer of loading, not even if I leave them for 30 minutes and websites takes ages to load even text.

I'm completely confused to what's causing this, I rang Sky up and they said I should plug my router into the main port so I did and this did nothing but mean I have a 20 foot cable trailing through my house...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

When you suggest a 20 foot cable - is that a telephone extension cable, or is it an ethernet cable?

Although connect is pretty terrible, you still should be able to actually use it. Sounds like errors building, causing even worse throughput.

How many telephone sockets do you use in the house?
      Does every telephone socket in use have a filter connected FIRST directly into the socket?
      Is the router connected to the master socket?
      Are you running any extension cables to the router, or are you using the short grey dsl cable sky supplied?
      If sky tv is plugged in anywhere, ensure the filter is before the sky tv splitter (a two-way blank white device).

If any of the above doesn't match up, then that could well be the issue. Once all the above has been done and dusted, then go to the following:

Test Result

Follow the instructions. When it asks for a username, enter your router's mac address (found on the bottom of the router) with @skydsl at the end. e.g. 004FB9834JF@skydsl

Paste the results from the test.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Do the speedtest recommended by User05, but do it at least twice. First outside the peak time before 4.30pm and during peak time after that time. I am not sure if they count the whole of the weekend as peak time, so it may be advisable to do the tests on a week day.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.