Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Forget the York Sky UFO project, the way forward is high-speed iInternet without the cables

This is a discussion on Forget the York Sky UFO project, the way forward is high-speed iInternet without the cables within the Sky Ultra Fibre Optic Broadband forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A new startup is launching a product that promises to bring superfast, wireless internet to your home. Starry, a company ...

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Forget the York Sky UFO project, the way forward is high-speed internet without the cables

A new startup is launching a product that promises to bring superfast, wireless internet to your home.
      Starry, a company founded by the former CEO of the streaming TV service Aereo, Chet Kanojia, will sell wireless equipment that delivers wireless internet speeds up to 1 gigabit using a technology called a "millimeter wave band active phased array."
      The service will be available in Boston this summer and expand to more cities after that.
      Starry claims that customers will be able to install the wireless equipment in their home and use it like a normal WiFi router. There's no need for a professional installation like with traditional, wired broadband.
      Gigabit broadband is much faster than the broadband you're used to. It means you get download speeds of 1 gigabit per second, which is fast enough to download a two-hour movie in a just a few seconds.
      You install a receiver called a Starry Point in your window, sort of like an air conditioning unit. It looks like a fancy antenna:
      You can then connect your normal WiFi router to that antenna with a standard ethernet cable.
      Starry also makes a $349 router called the Starry Station, which has a 3.8-inch touchscreen and can control smart appliances in your home in addition to delivering wireless internet. You'll also have to install a receiver outside your home.
      Starry did not say how much the internet service will cost, but a spokesperson told Tech Insider it would be noticeably cheaper than regular wired broadband. There also won't be data caps like you get with traditional wireless networks, so you can use as much data as you want for a fixed cost.
      The Android-powered Starry Station's screen displays the WiFi name and password, which makes it easier for people to hop on your home's network. It can also display how fast your connections is, where the connected devices in your home are, and block content with parental controls. The station has built-in customer service button that you tap when you need help. A service representative will call you in five minutes.
      You'll be able to reserve the Starry Station on February 5 through starry.com.

Starry wireless gigabit internet launching - Tech Insider

https://starry.com/

This really should be the way to go for Sky, no expensive digging and no BT.
      Come on Sky buy their technology!

2. Advertisement
      Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Forget the York Sky UFO project, the way forward is high-speed iInternet without the cables

wireless no thanks
      fistly it wont reach anywhere near the gigabit speed
      secondly jitter will be disgusting for gamers

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Forget the York Sky UFO project, the way forward is high-speed iInternet without the cables

And bandwidth limited, I bet. I.e. 10GB a month or something equally pathetic.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      And bandwidth limited, I bet. I.e. 10GB a month or something equally pathetic.
      Did you even read it? Clearly says no caps. Also If I lived in an Openreach spastic zone @ under 5Mbps I would be glad of the speed even though as mentioned pings will likely be super high. Quite a few villages are now using similar systems, it was on my local news programme, and seeing johnny farmer in the middle of nowhere speedtest @100Mbps really peed me off, even if his ping was triple mine.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

To many variables that can and will go wrong, good idea but not for the average user.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      Did you even read it? Clearly says no caps. Also If I lived in an Openreach spastic zone @ under 5Mbps I would be glad of the speed even though as mentioned pings will likely be super high. Quite a few villages are now using similar systems, it was on my local news programme, and seeing johnny farmer in the middle of nowhere speedtest @100Mbps really peed me off, even if his ping was triple mine.
      Admittedly I didn't bother because I am heavily biased against Wireless.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Forget the York Sky UFO project, the way forward is high-speed internet without the cables

I guessed as much, but for some who don't have the luxury of a serviceable wire or a subspace link...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk