Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By coipu
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

UK ISP TalkTalk Confirm First Prices for 940Mbps FTTH Broadband in York

This is a discussion on UK ISP TalkTalk Confirm First Prices for 940Mbps FTTH Broadband in York within the Sky Ultra Fibre Optic Broadband forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; UK ISP TalkTalk Confirm First Prices for 940Mbps FTTH Broadband in York - ISPreview UK Internet provider TalkTalk has revealed ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

UK ISP TalkTalk Confirm First Prices for 940Mbps FTTH Broadband in York

UK ISP TalkTalk Confirm First Prices for 940Mbps FTTH Broadband in York - ISPreview UK
      Internet provider TalkTalk has revealed the first package and price details for their new 940Mbps capable Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH/P) broadband network in the city of York (England), which as we revealed last month is being called Ultra Fibre Optic (UFO). Existing customers will effectively get it at “no extra cost“.

The somewhat experimental new network is being built as part of a joint venture between TalkTalk, Sky Broadband and Cityfibre (here). Each ISP is known to have contributed £5m to the first phase, which will cover 20,000 premises and that leaves roughly 60,000 left to be completed at a later date (more investment will be required).

The most recent status update from TalkTalk (here) suggested that some 1,200 of the 20,000 premises required for phase 1 had already been put within reach of the service and the first customers were expected to go live during the Autumn, which means that now would be a logical time to reveal the consumer prices.

According to TalkTalk, homes and businesses in York will be able to take its new ultrafast broadband “at no extra cost” and it “will come as standard” with their three consumer packages – SimplyBroadband, Essentials TV and Plus TV – as well as TalkTalk’s Complete Business Broadband package for small to medium sized firms.

In reality what this means is that the ISP has adopted a new pricing model where customers pay an all-in monthly price instead of splitting out a headline cost and line rental, which is similar to what some other pure fibre optic ISPs do because separate phone line rental is no longer a strict requirement like it is on BT’s network. The all-in consumer packages start with Simply Broadband at £21.70 per month and Complete Business Broadband at £25 a month.

The ISP claims that this makes them the “first and only UK ISP to offer pure fibre for the same price as standard broadband“, although B4RN might well challenge that given how they offer 1000Mbps for £30 per month and that’s also about the same as a standard broadband + line rental package.

Dido Harding, CEO of TalkTalk, said:

The UK has lived with broadband infrastructure that has suffered significant underinvestment for too long and we lag well behind the rest of Europe when it comes to rolling out pure, ultrafast, fibre networks. We have the potential to become the world’s leading digital economy, but we need this kind of investment in superior fibre infrastructure to make this a reality.

Ultra Fibre Optic will revolutionise the broadband experience in York by giving consumers and businesses access to all the speed and bandwidth they could ever need, at an affordable price, future-proofing the city and making York better off
      .”
      Chris Steward, Leader of City of York Council, said:

It is great to see this project is continuing to progress and we’re delighted York is the first city to benefit from Ultra Fibre Optic. Ultrafast broadband will help boost the local economy and provide a better quality service for residents and businesses across the city.”
      The UFO website has been busy taking pre-registration interest since last month, although it’s interesting to note that today’s press release includes a specific mention of the Huntington and Groves areas of York (i.e. these looks set to be the first locations the benefit). Locals are being nudged to express their interest and existing TalkTalk customers will of course be given priority.

Apparently if enough people in Huntington and Groves vote for the service then Sky Broadband and TalkTalk will also connect a nominated good cause in the community with ultrafast broadband. It could be a local charity, community hub or a good cause that supports the local area.

Crucially TalkTalk has also setup its own portal for the UFO service – https://ultrafibreoptic.talktalk.co.uk. Two further cities may also receive the network, but they’ve yet to be named.

NOTE: The network can do up to 1000Mbps (Gigabit), although TalkTalk are actually advertising the service as 940Mbps (probably to please the advertising rules).

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: UK ISP TalkTalk Confirm First Prices for 940Mbps FTTH Broadband in York

So is this with or without any line rental or phone package, as with no bt involvement, so is a line rental and phone package not necessary?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As it says above -

In reality what this means is that the ISP has adopted a new pricing model where customers pay an all-in monthly price instead of splitting out a headline cost and line rental, which is similar to what some other pure fibre optic ISPs do because separate phone line rental is no longer a strict requirement like it is on BT’s network.
      That means that line rental is included, but it is not clear whether this includes a phone. I could be wrong but, I suspect the phone charges would be extra. It is possible the phone would use VoIP of course, if not an extra box would be needed to convert digital to analogue voice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok, must have missed that.
      The day the phone package goes is fine by me, its just used as a bargaining tool at the mo, to mix up the the whole 3/4 play package.
      Wonder when sky will announce their deal and the timescale for everyone else.
      Never thought Id see the day and a have a good smile and say bye bye BT for good!
      Very naff the way Talktalk are showing little UFO logos on their site How childish.
      Could they have not just called it something better or called it just simply Ultra broadband.

Thanks

I am sure that someone in the respective marketing departments of TalkTalk, Sky and CityFibre is loving the name as Ultra Fibre Optic makes the letters UFO.

Certainly I can see BT hating it .

VOIP is certainly the way that most FTTP/FTTH companies are heading. At the present time this may complicate matters for anyone who has a small network of telephone extensions, but the are some ways around this. For example you could disconnect the BTO line from your Master socket and plug in a short lead from the VOIP socket into the existing telephone socket.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Not sure if the sky and o2 mobile deal is still on, but o2's TU Go is great I have heard. Perfect VOIP for those if they needed it.
      Video guides showing how to use TU Go - O2 Community
      It would be skype and a mobile for me though, no landline phone needed.

Thanks

Whilst the quality is good, I've a friend who hates O2's Tu Go. He gets the same text messages when he's at home twice. The signal where he lives is very poor, but it does occasionally give a signal that can be picked up long enough for the messages to get through. Of course they can be a few hours after the messages were sent.

The other annoying thing is that the text messages received through Tu Go are shown in a different manner to the normal messages and any personal ring tones don't work.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have since left O2 but I did use TuGo for a while and found it extremely flakey! Unless you disabled the App
      the phone would often start ringing again whilst you were talking after you had picked up a call because the same
      call was then coming in on TuGo! It was only really any good if you have zero phone signal.
      I deleted the App in the end because it was such a pain! Maybe they have sorted it now dunno!

Kev.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I would give my (er.. my wife's) right arm for those speeds, take my money now (and her arm)
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Wouldn't it be safer to sell your children instead?

I'm sure that someone needs a chimney to be cleaned somewhere.
      coipu likes this.