Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

This is a discussion on Discovery & Eurosport channels etc., within the Sky TV Channels forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Should they part company I have decided to go where Discovery goes and if that means losing Sky Q, and ...

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

Should they part company I have decided to go where Discovery goes and if that means losing Sky Q, and suffering B.T so be it as soon as the contract is up or beforehand as even if Sky don't see it as a breach of contract it may well be so.
      Doing that and getting an NFL game pass for next season and I'll only be missing Sky 1/Atlantic.
      I would have thought both companies have too much to lose to let this happen, one or both need to back down a bit for their mutual benefit.
      Browsing around, Sky don't sem to have any support for this and a whole load of criticism and threats of cancellation.
      grandad.sw591 likes this.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

But that is social media, its easy or it seems the thing to do to criticise, but very little praise and many of those will really have no idea and will just jump on the bandwagon.

Much like when Sky lost the Champions League and Europa League to BT. Many said they would cancel, but the figures never matched that up.
      UEFA have said they were very disappointed with the audiences and coverage that BT provides.
      But we will see in March, when that battle emerges. BT did pay over the odds for those rights.

There is an interesting article about the current BT Finances and how their shareholders and financiers see all this.

Just weeks before a high stakes auction for TV rights to top European soccer, the CEO of Britain's BT (BT.L) is locked in a fight on multiple fronts, leaving the communications giant with little room for manoeuvre.
      Gavin Patterson, a 49-year-old former marketing man, stunned investors this week when he revealed a sharp slowdown in core markets and tripled the expected hole in BT's finances from an Italian accounting scandal, wiping a fifth off its market value.
      Shareholders say they still back Patterson, but they question his control of a group on the cusp of a period that will shape the future of the 171-year-old firm that supplies broadband and TV in Britain and IT services around the world.

Following the hit to the business, BT now sees 2017/18 free cash flow at around 3.1 billion pounds. It is expected to commit to pay around 1 billion pounds a year into its pension scheme when it agrees a new funding deal in early 2018, according to shareholders and analysts.
      That would leave 2.1 billion pounds to cover a planned dividend of 1.7 billion pounds, and meet investment needs.
      Investors are also keen for BT to resolve a long-running argument with the regulator Ofcom, which had threatened to force BT to spin off the country's core broadband network into a separate company to spur greater investment and boost speeds.

The Champion League will be the first test of its resolve. BT first signalled its willingness to spend big on content to draw in customers when, in 2013, it paid more than double Sky's previous deal to win all the rights for the European tournament.
      Since then content inflation has continued at a heady pace, with analysts pencilling in a 30 percent rise in the price to win the rights for the European blue-riband event.
      Analyst Guy Peddy at Macquarie Capital said Sky had the firepower to bid aggressively to win back Champion League rights, and has pencilled in a bid of 400 million pounds, against the 299 million pounds per season paid by BT last time.
      "Sky winning the Champions League rights in the UK would seriously dent BT's Pay TV aspirations and underwrite Sky's TV strategy," he said in a note.
      Simon Johnson, who has negotiated sports deals for broadcaster ITV (ITV.L) and the Football Association, said the price BT was willing to pay would come down to whether it could risk losing the rights, and still grow the consumer business.
      "The trick is to work out whether BT Sport can sustain the same premium that they had last time, which was effectively a 'blow the opposition out of the water' figure," he told Reuters.

In a corner, Patterson fights to keep BT transformation on track | Reuters

Dave_R is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01625
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: BT HomeHub v5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Everyone has their point of view on this matter, but to provide your comment and assessment of the quality and content of programming that the channels offer is not really relevant within the issue is it?
      You may as well comment on the personality of the viewers by the same token.

What IS important is that over a period of many years for some of us, we've become accustomed to those channels, and we enjoy the programming content, whatever it may be.
      You might not care for the shows I watch, I may not care for the shows you watch. That's completely irrelevant.

And now there is the very real risk that is going to be taken away, by a company that has shown little respect for long term customers by:
      a) offering nothing of any significant value in terms of loyalty benefits (All I have ever had in ELEVEN YEARS was the pre Xmas voucher for some movie material, nice but hardly going to make an impact to my 80 quid a month bill)
      b) not giving any advance warning this issue was coming to a head, and even worse, not even bothering to directly notify customers what is happening and what they are doing to mitigate it
      c) even yesterday programme intervals included ads for new series of Disco channel product, such as Fast n Loud. I saw no indication that could have said words to the effect "yeah but you'll only get one show before the plug is pulled" - in essence that's misleading advertising
      d) and finally, as others have pointed out, the reference to "other channels" in their unhelpful "help", Well that's as about as detached from reality as you can get in my view and demonstrates their arrogance beautifully.

Fundamentally this smacks of poor business management regarding budgets, revenues etc and why this has reached the eleventh hour with no apparent contingency is shamefully poor business practice, where company egos have been put ahead of customers. By their own admission (now) the claim is that prices have been a challenge year in year out, just like when I get my annual price hike - the difference being I've been able to balance my budget for the sake of continuity - so why couldn't Sky see this coming and do likewise? Do they not have hordes of overpaid accountants, lawyers and business planners to quietly deal with these sort of challenges as part of their job?

And it's not just the mishandling and poor timing of the issue that's going to lose customers, it's that arrogance of "take it or leave it" that puts the icing on the cake.
      For me, it's that lack of respect for the people that contribute masses of annual revenue that may push many, including me, over the edge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      Doing that and getting an NFL game pass for next season and I'll only be missing Sky 1/Atlantic.
      I have a friend who loves NFL, have you used the pass before?
      Is it any good. He is an IOS fan and the iTunes version would be good for him.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I only had the trial, I found it very good but no cheaper than Sky sports if you only have sports for the duration of the NFL season. Also there are delays imposed if the game is being shown by Sky.
      The idea was I get to watch it in the man cave whilst dancing/country/antiques was being enjoyed by 'er indoors in the lounge.
      Sky Q with a mini and the sports package is a much better option for us as we didn't have multi-room with the old Sky box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      I only had the trial, I found it very good but no cheaper than Sky sports if you only have sports for the duration of the NFL season. Also there are delays imposed if the game is being shown by Sky.
      The idea was I get to watch it in the man cave whilst dancing/country/antiques was being enjoyed by 'er indoors in the lounge.
      Sky Q with a mini and the sports package is a much better option for us as we didn't have multi-room with the old Sky box.
      Ok ta, so its not really offering any extra content of worth over what Sky offers now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think you can watch all the games (if you have time) not just the 4/5 Sky show a week or select on "catch up" edited highlights with all the plays with none of the delays. It was a while back and so it may have changed since then so please don't take that as 100% accurate.

Thanks

Discovery had a similar battle last year in Scandanavia

The boss of TV Norge has said the channel is simply seeking the cost of a cup of coffee after it channel was removed from Canal Digital in a dispute over carriage fees with parent Discovery Networks.

Channels including TV Norge in Norway, Kanal 5 in Sweden and Denmark, Discovery Channel, TLC, ID and Eurosport were removed from the Canal Digital cable and satellite networks in Norway, Sweden and Denmark at midnight last night in the ongoing dispute over what should be paid by by the platform for their continued carriage. The Swedish Bredbandsbolaget and some Viasat households are also affected. Discovery’s current agreement with Canal Digital’s parent company Telenor expired on January 31, 2015.

Canal Digital said it did not have permission from Discovery to further extend the deadline. “This is a sad day. We regret strongly that our customers currently lack TVNorge and the other Discovery channels. We are very disappointed that the US media group has chosen this drastic step. We continue to work hard to get the channels back as quickly as possible. In recent months we have negotiated with Discovery’s international leadership to reach agreement on a new deal. We’ve stretched very far in our efforts to reach an agreement especially for the Norwegian-produced channels that matter most to our customers. Discovery, however, put forward unreasonable demands for price increases of several hundred million kroner to cover up for their expensive purchases of various sports rights over the past year, far beyond what we think the channels are worth to our customers, says Ragnar Kårhus, CEO Canal Digital AS.

Broadband TV News understands Canal Digital’s offer d0es not show any increase on the 2010 settlement. In a blog post TVNorge director Harald Strømme claimed that over the last five years Canal Digital had increased its prices by 30%. “Despite the fact that we have grown rapidly in recent years and invested heavily in Norwegian entertainment, our share of this has become less and less. So who is left with your money? All we want is that Telenor will pay for our content on the same level as other distributors. Can it be called unreasonable?” Strømme said the company was simply seeking the cost of a cup of coffee.

“Our business has grown rapidly in recent years and we have invested heavily in content,” a Discovery spokesperson told Broadband TV News. “All we have been asking for in the discussions with Telenor is fair market value for our strong continued investment in content and increased market share. We received a message from Telenor last night ‘that they were not interested in negotiating and would be switching our channels off at midnight.”
      Discovery Networks removed from Canal Digital
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Lets reminisce.
      Remember the launch of multichannels?

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Lets reminisce.
      Remember the launch of multichannels?

Nah, multi-channel goes back much further than that:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itvstorytest1.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	6369
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast