Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By seawright

Fault on Phone Line - incorrect info given by 1st tier!!!

This is a discussion on Fault on Phone Line - incorrect info given by 1st tier!!! within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; We have had a very noisey phone line for a few weeks and on Tues it started affecting the broadband ...

Simonejones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Low Moor
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fault on Phone Line - incorrect info given by 1st tier!!!

We have had a very noisey phone line for a few weeks and on Tues it started affecting the broadband - kept disconnecting & reconnecting itself, phoned Sky on Tues 9th , did all usual tests and was told it was a fault on the line externally, was told it would be fixed by Bt openreach, I asked if I had to in and was told 'no' it would all be fixed externally as no problems on the inside wiring, the Bt engineer would text me to keep me updated and that it would be fixed within 72 hours. Tried phone on Thurs 11th and it seemed to be fixed, line very clear and also no broadband disconnections, no text from BT openreach but at least all fixed.

Quite suprised when turned on mobile on Fri - 12th morning to have a voice mail from Sky Customer Solutions asking me to phone them back - re fault on line. It seemed it had all been fixed. On phoning them back I was told there was no record on the account that it had been fixed and no BT engineer had been scheduled to come out. I asked how come then it was all fixed and was told they didn't know , maybe it had just been a temporary problem at the exchange, I then asked why was I told it would be fixed by BT engineer within 72 hours, I was told that the 72 hours was the time allowed for the next tier of Sky to call not the time for BT to fix, also that the tier 1 ( the 1st person I spoke to) didn't have authority to organise the Bt engineer and only the Customer Solutions Team could do this - which if the problem hadn't fixed itself could take another 72 hours. I was also told the engineer would have to make an appointment as may need to come inside, as problem seems fixed, or at least for now, have closed the problem down, told to phone again if comes back, but told can phone Customer Solutions direct.

Can anyone confirm what the correct procedure is and what should happen at Sky, if what I was told 2nd time is correct you could be waiting 6 days or more for a problem to be fixed!! Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Fault on Phone Line - incorrect info given by 1st tier!!!

Weird. I was under the impression that the first line of support were able to organise a BTO Engineer if it was required.

6 days with a line fault is totally unacceptable. I would remain calm but request some compensation for having to put up with the problem for so long if it is still there. Someone has messed up in a big way.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Simonejones (13-09-14)

Simonejones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Low Moor
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Weird. I was under the impression that the first line of support were able to organise a BTO Engineer if it was required.

6 days with a line fault is totally unacceptable. I would remain calm but request some compensation for having to put up with the problem for so long if it is still there. Someone has messed up in a big way.
      The fault was actually fixed within 48 hours BUT was caused the confusion was the voicemail from Customer Solutions after it was fixed to ask me to phone to sort out problem when as far as I was concerned it was fixed, I phoned them more out of curiosity than anything and they were the ones who told me Tier 1 couldn't arrange for BTO to come out and BTO would always make an appointment as may need to come in house, I told them problem fixed without BTO making appointment or coming into house, they said only thing it could have been was an intermittent fault which had corrected itself - I don't think so!

Scubbie - you are right - I phoned Tier 1 again & asked them if they could refer to BTO themselves or if they could only refer to Solutions Team to do this, was told that if they did tests - tested @ test socket & was certain a line fault they could refer to BTO themselves , think this is a case of the right-hand doesn't know what the left-hand is doing, all I can assume in my case is that Tier 1 reported to BTO - hence why fixed within 72hours of notifying & for some unknown reason referred to Customer Solutions as well, and didn't write any notes on my account of referring to BTO. .

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

No problem. Nice to here that things are working, even if Tier 2 (actually supposed to be CST now and have been for a few years I believe) were a little surprised.

There are certain quality of service targets which are applicable. If the person in CST had been responsible for placing the call to BTO then Sky would never be able to achieve these targets.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

First tier agents work to a script. Whilst there will be experienced first tier agents who can deviate from the script, ie. think for themselves, the bottom line is that they can only book OR engineers when the script allows them to. To do otherwise would be exceeding their authority.
      Hedgehog1979 likes this.

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

Seawright is correct.

There is room to think outside the box as long as what you are doing is relevant and not just wasting the customers time however when it comes to booking an OR engineer this is dependant on what the line test results say.

If the test passes and the fault is not rectified it gets escalated to CST. If it fails for whatever reason and troubleshooting does not fix it then it gets escalated to OR with or without appointment without the need for CST to get involved.

If Openreach check externally and still cannot fix the issue they may send it back advising access to the premises is required and this would then be sent to CST to book an appointment with the customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD