Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky and free sat ....Compatible???

This is a discussion on Sky and free sat ....Compatible??? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on sky and free sat, I currently have a sky+hd service ...

Dean_ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01892
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question Sky and free sat ....Compatible???

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on sky and free sat,

I currently have a sky+hd service in the living room, today I phoned up and ordered another sky+hd box for another room. Then I realised I will need another/extenision of my phone socket to connect to the box. This cant happen for the room I want it for so I have had to cancel the multiroom.

Anyway my question is, can I add another wire from the satellite I'm currently using into the bedroom and plug a freesat box into it ?? Would the sky sat be able to take another wire (it currently has two connected to it)

any help will be appreciated

Dean

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky and free sat ....Compatible???

Two things to add to what you have posted:

Firstly Freesat and Sky use the same satellite group. The main differences is in the EPG and the fact that Freesat only offers free-to-air channels (although free-to-view can be seen in some circumstances). So yes, provided that you run a single (for Freesat) or double (for Freesat+) cable from your LNB to the other room, then it should be just fine. Most people have a 4-Port LNB fitted as standard now, but Octo-Port LNBs are available if you are short of room.

Secondly, you don't have to run a telephone extension. You could get a DECT Sender. This would allow you to connect your new SkyHD or Sky+ HD STB to the telephone line.

DECT Wireless Phone Line Extender : Extension Cables & Kits : Maplin Electronics
      (available elsewhere, perhaps at better prices)

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Dean_ (10-06-12)

Dean_ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01892
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

thanks so much for your answer, so your saying that i could add another cable to my sat LNB run that to the desired room then plug a freesat / freesat+ box to the cable and i should be up and running?

also if i cancelled my sky tv account would my sky+hd box still allow me to watch the free to air programs ?????

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Yep on both counts.

Of course you should take suitable precautions when accessing the LNB on the dish (i.e. have someone hold the ladder and any other suitable safety measures). You'll also need to purchase some F-Plug connectors (two for each cable). Make sure that they are the correct size for the coaxial lead that you get.

Remember too that should you ever cancel you Sky contract that unless you pay the 15 per month Sky+ subscription fee, all Sky STBs effectively only allow you to watch live material on the free-to-air channels.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms