Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sky's New phone & broadband network

This is a discussion on Sky's New phone & broadband network within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; They keep mentioning this new system they're switching the line rental customers over to, exchange permitting etc & advise people ...

tvsizedoesmatter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid, Sky Talk unlimited, Sky Talk line rental
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky's New phone & broadband network

They keep mentioning this new system they're switching the line rental customers over to, exchange permitting etc & advise people to look on line at Sky Broadband- Making your Sky Broadband and Talk services even better after logging in via mysky.

Has anyone been able to find out the info on their line?

I keep looking but get "service unavailable"
      Being tortured by a mord-sith takes on new meaning

2. Advertisement
      paul7285 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky's New phone & broadband network

Let me try and clear up the way this "new broadband network" operates...

If you are in a Sky enabled exchange area (IE you have a BASE, MID or MAX package), Sky use a product from Openreach called LLU.

This is available in two varieties:

SMPF - Shared Metallic Path Facility.
      MPF - Metalic Path Facility.

Both products involve sky installing their own equipment in the BT/Openreach exchange and renting a network pair (line) from the exchange into your premises. This line is connected to the sky equipment in the exchange.

SMPF is the product sky use at present to provide Sky Talk and Sky Broadband to you.

Your line is effectively teed into the sky equipment in the exchange and mixed with the BT voice network. The broadband eminates from the Sky equipment, the dial tone for sky talk is rented on a wholesale basis from BT (called wholesale line rental if you have Sky Talk Line Rental). The two are mixed together and sent down the line to your premises.

It is called shared because in effect, you can get your broadband from one provider and the phone side from another.

The 'new' Sky Broadband and Voice Network that sky are 'switching' to is an MPF product from Openreach (also known as full LLU).

This is where Sky's equipment in the exchange provides all your voice and broadband services end to end - Sky produce the dial-tone and manage your call packages and produce the broadband signal. Nothing comes from BT, and there is no wholesale line rental.

A network pair is still rented and all your services are provided over this as normal.

The change occurs at the exchange - there is no tee into the BT network, it all comes straight from sky's equipment. The only other termination in the exchange is where your line is diverted through an Openreach testing system to allow for remote testing from Sky, and to allow Openreach to monitor the condition of the network pair to your premises, which they maintain.

The reason for the short break in service is to allow Openreach to reconfigure the physical wiring in the exchange to the correct MPF setup. This is not automated and has to be done by an Openreach engineer.

You will not see anything on your My Sky page yet, as you have up until 1st August 2009 to opt out of the switch from SMPF to MPF, after that time I presume an order will be placed by Sky to Openreach to switch your line and will be done overnight according to sky.

After which time, you will then go through the line testing stage which is when sky will contact you about in advance.

You will not notice anything much different with your service - it just gives sky more freedom to put whatever service they like down the pair they rent from openreach. Their hands are no longer tied by what services they can rent via the wholesale line/calls rental packages they take at present.

Sorry for the rambling, but I hope this explains things ion a little more detail - I am going to get round to writing a more detailed wikipedia article on Openreach and their products.

Paul.

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Great info Paul....

But this now poses a question...

As my line will currently "apparently" handle 8mb max speed on my current max package - So is it worth me moving over, or am I better staying on the "old" system which allows ME rather than Sky greater freedom should I wish to move in the future (not that I am thinking of it) As you never know, once everyone is on the new system, and changing phone and bb providers becomes more hassle, whats to say Sky won't start bumping the prices - Simply because they can...

Mike

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Nothing, also there is not a lot to stop Sky from bundling the whole lot, you have to take TV, BB, and line rental from them, all or nothing. Me? I'll stick with BT for my line for now untill they force a choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
      Great info Paul
      Agreed.

So why are Sky doing this, really, rather than their publicity reasons?

Are any of the other companies that have a presence in the BT exchanges doing this?

Is their equipment better than BT, will it mean my speed can increase?

Is there anything that we'll benefit from if not?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

TalkTalk and Tiscali have been doing it for a long time. There will be no change in your phone line, it will simply run through sky's equipment rather than BT's, making Sky a bundle in the process. The biggest problem is that any physical work on the line will still be done by BTO, I don't think Sky or any other provider have sufficient telephone engineers to cover the country, so all you are doing is changing one middle man for another. Sky are very reluctant to get BTO out on a line for broadband problems, are they going to be any better with voice problems, which may be more important than broadband to many people?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

There seems to be a number of fears about what happens if you go over & then want to leave Sky but presumably Talk Talk & Tiscali people are in the same boat.

Are those fears justified?

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I know people who have had problems in switching from both TalkTalk and Tiscali because they can't just call up a new provider and switch. It's a bit like going from cable to BT or vice versa, where you have to cancel one service and set up the other from scratch. Except you don't even get the luxury of being able to overlap service because it is delivered down the same wires.

I've sent off my opt-out email. If Sky keep on increasing their rip-off call charges then I'm off somewhere else as soon as my 12 months is up. At the moment I can still get through to indirect carriers for calls - if Sky take over the line fully then that plug is likely to be pulled sooner than it would via BT/Openreach.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

There has been a fair few reports on Talk Talk and Tiscali on various BBC shows, Working Lunch did a quite big indepth one a while back and it showed that to move broadbad that you had to cancel everything and then get a new BT line with a new contract and then re-order broadband.

Sky are doing this because it's most likely cheaper and that it is a lot harder to get away from them if you do decide to move with this new network.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Many thanks Paul but I'm a little confused about this. I seem to remember that Sky said there would be about 15 minutes downtime when they switch people over to the new system. If that's true why all the trouble with switching back? Surely it's just a reverse of the same process?

I do note that Sky say:
      If you are on the new network and you want to cancel Sky Broadband in line with the terms of your Sky Broadband subscription contract you must give us 10 working days notice. Your Sky Broadband services and contract will end once this notice expires. After 10 working days your Sky Broadband will end and, if you want to, you can place a broadband order with another supplier. You will not have a broadband service until the new supplier activates your new service.
      I don't know how long other people take to activate broadband...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast