Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Want Sky Talk + Line Rental - have BT copper line, but no active BT contract

This is a discussion on Want Sky Talk + Line Rental - have BT copper line, but no active BT contract within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to get sky talk line rental and sky broadband. We've had Sky+, ...

peterm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Unhappy Want Sky Talk + Line Rental - have BT copper line, but no active BT contract

I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to get sky talk line rental and sky broadband.
      We've had Sky+, Sky broadband max and a BT phone contract for 18 months, and person paying BT bill stopped paying a couple of months ago (long story).

BT account now closed by BT but outstanding bill paid. BT advise account re-activation is not possible, so need to create a new account.
      Also just received letter from Sky saying broadband would be 'removed' since our "phone line has been terminated by BT".

Would like to take up "Sky talk" with "Sky talk line rental" instead of BT to benefit from cheaper price and avoid broadband price hike in March.
      Sky say they can't do either Sky broadband or Sky talk without an active BT line.
      I have said the physical copper is still there (in fact broadband is still working for some reason), but they say it can't be done.
      Don't want to take out a new 12 month BT contract just to work around this.

Am really confused, didn't think it would be this difficult.

Being frustrated, I have already put the order in with BT for a new account, but can back out within 14 days if someone can tell me how to get around this.

Now from what I've read on this forum, I think it should be possible to bypass the BT contract. A temporary post office phone line with no minimum tie-in looks like another possibility too.

Cheers,
      Peter

2. Advertisement
      Bennit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Want Sky Talk + Line Rental - have BT copper line, but no active BT contract

Sky do something called new line provide. I asked them to do that for me and they took over my phone line. The cost should of been 105 but i got it for free.

FletcherHemmise is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Similar problem....

I have just moved into a new house, the previous owner had a BT line and it is still active.

I want to carry my sky package over (that includes skytalk).

Apparently Sky say they cant do this because there is an active line into the property. Which of course I cant cancel because my name isnt on that bill. BT say cancelling that line means I have to then pay 130 to have a new one put in (free if I take their phone package).

Does Skytalk need an 'Active' BT line? Or does it just need to know that a BT line physically runs to the house?

Skys advice.... Go with Virgin because they install their own fibre Optic lines. (which isnt true)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,869 Posts

Re: Want Sky Talk + Line Rental - have BT copper line, but no active BT contract

If you are able to, I would be inclined to contact the previous occupier and ask them to cancel the line.

They should have done this already as you could theoretically run up a nice huge phone bill in their name now.

I would also be inclined to contact Ofcom to clarify what their rules suggest should be the case in instances like yours.

Ofcom

Ofcom | Advice and complaints

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms