Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Sport grab 2017-18 Ashes TV rights from rivals Sky Sports in 80m coup

This is a discussion on BT Sport grab 2017-18 Ashes TV rights from rivals Sky Sports in 80m coup within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; Yikes! As yet to be confirmed from another source but... BT Sport grab 2017-18 Ashes TV rights from rivals Sky ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

BT Sport grab 2017-18 Ashes TV rights from rivals Sky Sports in 80m coup

++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: BT Sport grab 2017-18 Ashes TV rights from rivals Sky Sports in 80m coup

Bt announced this yesterday in an event to the press, and if your a cricket fan it was known for a week or so.
      The bt sport website and bt corporate have official statements up now;

http://sport.bt.com/more-sport-hub/m...11363999728418

http://www.btplc.com/News/#/pressrel...-ashes-1206049

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      and if your a cricket fan it was known for a week or so.
      What are you implying??!! I'm a keen cricket watcher but I hadn't seen or heard anything about it until last night! Maybe I don't read the right newspapers or check the right websites... Or perhaps I'm just not in the know!

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      What are you implying??!! I'm a keen cricket watcher but I hadn't seen or heard anything about it until last night! Maybe I don't read the right newspapers or check the right websites... Or perhaps I'm just not in the know!
      Its was mentioned on a few broadcasting and cricket forums and even talksport mentioned substantiated rumours of it last week.
      Timing, obviously released as the last ashes series ends.

The odd thing is that they also will be showing the highlights of that series on the BT showcase channel, not sure if everyone on freeview can get that channel, but may change.
      Sky were paying about 12 million a year, so 16 million a year not such a big increase. Put that in perspective too, that is only the cost of a couple of premiership matches in the current deals.
      Shame really, as sky cricket coverage has been superb and set a high bar. As these are all night games for us, they may offer the Aussie coverage and concentrate more on a uk studio setup for the highlights package.
      You will have to find a friendly bt subscriber, I borrow a few id from bt users, none of them watch bt sports. I watch it using the bt sport app and of course you can use the app with chromecast on TV, unlike sky go.
      It will cost them or you 5, not the 19.99+ for adding the channel on sky tv.

Edit: realised its 19.99+ now for bt sport on sky, not 12+ as it was last year.
      Last edited by lettice; 24-08-15 at 11:43 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (24-08-15)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

It may be another feather in bt's cap, but if they are showing highlights on the free showcase channel then i can't see this being a significant draw.

The majority of each day's play will be during the early hours for us & (no offence cricket fans) the sport does perhaps lend itself to a highlights format better than any other.

Still, not bad for 16 million per year.
      How many premier league football matches do sky get for that?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Its was mentioned on a few broadcasting and cricket forums and even talksport mentioned substantiated rumours of it last week.
      Fair enough! I don't listen to talksport nor look at any cricket forums, so I guess that's why I wasn't aware of it!

I suppose on one hand it's good to see some competition in the cricket broadcasting market, but on the other hand it fragments things for the customer who wants to watch in terms of costs and number of services to subscribe to.

Thanks for the info re BT Sports. I've largely ignored it to date as PL football isn't of any interest to me (my team is in FL One so might be expected to feature on SS once or twice a season at best).