Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky+ HD

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've got a Sky+ HD box and am switching very soon to Sky Q. I've several recordings on my Sky+ ...

DRGW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky+ HD

I've got a Sky+ HD box and am switching very soon to Sky Q.

I've several recordings on my Sky+ HD box which I want to keep (when I was on TV). Is there anyway I can get these off of my Sky+ HD box easily?

If not, it may have to be setting up a video camera in front of the TV and recording from that which wouldn't be as good a quality.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD

Probably the easiest method would be a DVD recorder if you can lay your hand on one.
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,220 Times in 2,089 Posts

Another way would be to use an HDMI capture card and record all the HD content to your computer.

There are a number of different ones around. Some feature a passthrough as well as the capture part. Some make use of USB3, others require an expansion socket in a desktop or tower computer.

If you can, edit out the adverts and render the finished video. Later record them all to a Blu-ray disc or stick them on a NAS.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Router:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Another way would be to use an HDMI capture card and record all the HD content to your computer.

There are a number of different ones around. Some feature a passthrough as well as the capture part. Some make use of USB3, others require an expansion socket in a desktop or tower computer.

If you can, edit out the adverts and render the finished video. Later record them all to a Blu-ray disc or stick them on a NAS.

I've got a Dell laptop which has a HDMI socket so I'm guessing it has a capture card too then.

I'll give this a go.

Many thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRGW View Post
      I've got a Dell laptop which has a HDMI socket so I'm guessing it has a capture card too then.

I'll give this a go.

Many thanks.
      err... no.

You'll need a specific card to capture HDMI content.

A USB3 capture card works well. I purchased one recently for another task and connected it to my Sky+ HD STB to check it for something. It worked just fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/August-VGB5...dp/B07JMCM9T7/

This one has a passthrough connector which works when the adaptor is connected to your computer.

You will need USB3. I've not seen any that are any good for HDMI (full 1080p) that support USB2.

Thankfully Sky hasn't implemented HDCP, or if they have, this circumvents it. I have a camcorder that does have HDCP for some daft reason.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Router:
      Thanks

err... no.

You'll need a specific card to capture HDMI content.

A USB3 capture card works well. I purchased one recently for another task and connected it to my Sky+ HD STB to check it for something. It worked just fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/August-VGB5...dp/B07JMCM9T7/

This one has a passthrough connector which works when the adaptor is connected to your computer.

You will need USB3. I've not seen any that are any good for HDMI (full 1080p) that support USB2.

Thankfully Sky hasn't implemented HDCP, or if they have, this circumvents it. I have a camcorder that does have HDCP for some daft reason.
      That capture card looks like it’ll do the trick. Does it come with the necessary software etc?

What format will it record the programs from my Sky + HD box in, MP4?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRGW View Post
      That capture card looks like it’ll do the trick. Does it come with the necessary software etc?

What format will it record the programs from my Sky + HD box in, MP4?

Thanks
      Good questions. I already have several products for recording video and editing together my own videos. The drivers are installed when you connect the capture card.

Check out this page for more information: https://www.augustint.com/en/productmsg-90-341.html

I think that VLC will allow you to record the video. Otherwise OBS Studio works well. I have OBS for another job and have successfully used this adapter with it in full 1080p. I use ArcSoft ShowBiz (needs a license to work fully) for recording content via both a VGB100 I have and a couple of HDMI adapters I have too (yes I have two different adapters). The software came with the VGB100.

There are other products out there which will capture streamed video. Some for free (such as OBS) and others which will cost a few pounds.

As for whether the software will create an MP4 file, well... you should be able to choose. Again I've been delving a lot into creating videos and well... I just render in whatever file format I like if that makes sense. MKV, MTS, MP4, AVI or any other. I'm more concerned with resolution, frame rate, audio quality and the ability to play it back on a given device or upload it to YouTube or Facebook. VLC will play back virtually any video type. My TV and Home Theatre are a little more picky and these days YouTube is happy with a good variety of content, but will only playback in stereo or mono. Of course Facebook reduces anything of decent quality to its rubbish quality, but that's why I avoid posting the video there and instead post a link.

Whilst I remember, it should be possible for you to remove the HD from your Sky+ HD STB, connect it to your computer and copy off any Free-to-Air content, such as BBC & ITV. Worry first about any content from a subscription channel and any content that will never be broadcast again (i.e. news).

Router:
      Thanks

Good questions. I already have several products for recording video and editing together my own videos. The drivers are installed when you connect the capture card.

Check out this page for more information: https://www.augustint.com/en/productmsg-90-341.html

I think that VLC will allow you to record the video. Otherwise OBS Studio works well. I have OBS for another job and have successfully used this adapter with it in full 1080p. I use ArcSoft ShowBiz (needs a license to work fully) for recording content via both a VGB100 I have and a couple of HDMI adapters I have too (yes I have two different adapters). The software came with the VGB100.

There are other products out there which will capture streamed video. Some for free (such as OBS) and others which will cost a few pounds.

As for whether the software will create an MP4 file, well... you should be able to choose. Again I've been delving a lot into creating videos and well... I just render in whatever file format I like if that makes sense. MKV, MTS, MP4, AVI or any other. I'm more concerned with resolution, frame rate, audio quality and the ability to play it back on a given device or upload it to YouTube or Facebook. VLC will play back virtually any video type. My TV and Home Theatre are a little more picky and these days YouTube is happy with a good variety of content, but will only playback in stereo or mono. Of course Facebook reduces anything of decent quality to its rubbish quality, but that's why I avoid posting the video there and instead post a link.

Whilst I remember, it should be possible for you to remove the HD from your Sky+ HD STB, connect it to your computer and copy off any Free-to-Air content, such as BBC & ITV. Worry first about any content from a subscription channel and any content that will never be broadcast again (i.e. news).

I've now got the capture card and OBS software. It records video very well in a good quality but does not record the sound! Any ideas if I need to change any settings on the software etc?

Thanks
      Last edited by DRGW; 20-03-20 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks

Phooey!

One option would be to hook up the stereo DIN outputs from the Sky+ HD to the mic in on your computer, using a suitable cable. You might need to check whether your mic takes mono or stereo first though. My laptop takes mono so if I wanted to capture stereo this way, I can't. I do have an audio device that does take a stereo sound input and works with Win 10 and OBS. I was integrating it with a few inputs in preparation for a live broadcast that I wish to do for a friend when the weather & now Virus allows.

Lead:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...dp/B01D5H8JW0/
      (to illustrate what I am describing)

Sound card:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co...dp/B002LM0U2S/

You will need a different set of leads for this sound card though as you will need a single DIN plug to a single 3.5mm plug for each channel. The sound input I am describing is in the 4th image on the Amazon page.

There may be other options available.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Is the sound captured? Can you monitor it on your PC?
      If the answer to both the above questions is yes then it is most likely that the problem is an incorrect setting in OBS.
      Check the help section on the OBS website Help | OBS or if you can't find the answer there ask the question on their help forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast