Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky+ HD

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by seawright Is the sound captured? Can you monitor it on your PC? If the answer to both ...

DRGW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Is the sound captured? Can you monitor it on your PC?
      If the answer to both the above questions is yes then it is most likely that the problem is an incorrect setting in OBS.
      Check the help section on the OBS website Help | OBS or if you can't find the answer there ask the question on their help forum.
      Although the sound shows on the bar at the bottom of OBS, I am unable to hear anything through my laptop. No sound is recorded whatsoever so I believe it must be a setting somewhere or maybe a faulty capture card.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Phooey!

One option would be to hook up the stereo DIN outputs from the Sky+ HD to the mic in on your computer, using a suitable cable. You might need to check whether your mic takes mono or stereo first though. My laptop takes mono so if I wanted to capture stereo this way, I can't. I do have an audio device that does take a stereo sound input and works with Win 10 and OBS. I was integrating it with a few inputs in preparation for a live broadcast that I wish to do for a friend when the weather & now Virus allows.

Lead:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...dp/B01D5H8JW0/
      (to illustrate what I am describing)

Sound card:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co...dp/B002LM0U2S/

You will need a different set of leads for this sound card though as you will need a single DIN plug to a single 3.5mm plug for each channel. The sound input I am describing is in the 4th image on the Amazon page.

There may be other options available.
      Unfortunately I do not have a microphone input on my laptop so this isnt an option. :-(

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If the sound shows on the bar at the bottom of OBS it is unlikely to be a faulty capture card.
      I suspect that it is a setting within OBS.
      I cannot advise you on this as I am not familiar with the software, hence my advice to
      check the help section on the OBS website Help | OBS or if you can't find the answer there
      to ask the question on their help forum.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

If the sound shows on the bar at the bottom of OBS it is unlikely to be a faulty capture card.
      I suspect that it is a setting within OBS.
      I cannot advise you on this as I am not familiar with the software, hence my advice to
      check the help section on the OBS website Help | OBS or if you can't find the answer there
      to ask the question on their help forum.
      I've had some issues with OBS working at the same time with both video and sound at the same time recently. It used to be fine, so I think that it was some update.

As I was planning to use multiple video and sound sources, this wasn't a major issue for me. I set things up so that I can change the cameras and sound sources independently, as well as the screens.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Router:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I've had some issues with OBS working at the same time with both video and sound at the same time recently. It used to be fine, so I think that it was some update.

As I was planning to use multiple video and sound sources, this wasn't a major issue for me. I set things up so that I can change the cameras and sound sources independently, as well as the screens.
      What was the last version you had which worked ok?

I'll see if I can then get that version to try.

Thanks

I'm sorry, I can't recall. I don't use the software often and there was a long gap between me using it and setting up for this live broadcast.

At the moment the LB is on hold, but all the kit is together and ready to go.

I suspect that the previous version I used would have been installed about a year ago now.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Router:
      Thanks

I've managed to localt an older version of OBS which I have been assured will work.

Yesterday I had Sky Q installed and now have my Sky+HD box plugged in next to my laptop. I've had the Sky+HD box plugged in for a while but cannot access my recordings and get a message "Your box is still initialising, please return in a short time to use this feature".

How long should this take? It's been on for about 20 minutes now.

I appreciate I won't be able to watch tv on it but still required 2 recordings form it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRGW View Post
      I've had the Sky+HD box plugged in for a while but cannot access my recordings and get a message "Your box is still initialising, please return in a short time to use this feature".

How long should this take? It's been on for about 20 minutes now.
      It will not initialise unless it is receiving a satellite signal.
      Take the viewing card out before connecting to the dish else the OTA signal will disable it (assuming it hasn't been disabled already).
      The viewing card will disable itself anyway after a few days as it compares its stored last valld subscription refresh time with the Sky boxes real time clock.
      Unless you had a hybrid LNB fitted when Sky Q was installed you may not get a valid satellite signal even if it is connected to the Sky dish.

Thanks

It will not initialise unless it is receiving a satellite signal.
      Take the viewing card out before connecting to the dish else the OTA signal will disable it (assuming it hasn't been disabled already).
      The viewing card will disable itself anyway after a few days as it compares its stored last valld subscription refresh time with the Sky boxes real time clock.
      Unless you had a hybrid LNB fitted when Sky Q was installed you may not get a valid satellite signal even if it is connected to the Sky dish.
      Provided the card hasn't already been disabled, it is possible to power up the box, when connected to the dish, and start things running before the OTA signal is received.

Also don't connect it to the Internet now. You could received such a signal that way too.

Router:
      Thanks

Not been able to get anything up on my Sky+ box. Speaking to a neighbour, he stated that it would be possible to remove the hard drive and simply copy the content across. If this is the case, is any special software required etc to do this?

Thanks

It is or at least was possible to copy free to air recordings using ExPVR but this software is no longer supported and may not be compatible with the latest Sky+ HD planner. You should read the ExPVR FAQs before using it and don't pay for a licence until you are sure that it will work (limited transfers are possible without a licence).
      There is also free experimental software available but it is only available as source code so unless you are confident in compiling QT software for Linux I wouldn't recommend it.
      Calling all Linux experts!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (28-03-20)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast