Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By bubblegun

Connecting sky TV in a new house

This is a discussion on Connecting sky TV in a new house within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, we have just moved house, our engineer is coming on Thursday to connect the broadband, we were advised that ...

Lloyd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connecting sky TV in a new house

Hi, we have just moved house, our engineer is coming on Thursday to connect the broadband, we were advised that we will still have access to some channels. When attempting to set up the sky box it keeps showing "no satellite signal being received."

The previous owner had virgin media. the 2 satellite cables come out of the back of the box, connect to a splitter, this splitter was connected to an adaptor which plugged into the aerial socket on the wall.

There appears to be a satellite socket on the wall already. I get the same message whichever way I plug this in.

If anyone could advise me on how to get this working it would be much appreciated! I have a picture of that would help, thanks

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connecting sky TV in a new house

Hello Lloyd and welcome to the Sky user forum.

Does the house have its own satellite dish? If so can you see how many cables are connected to the block, known as the LNB, mounted on the arm in front of the dish?

Having two cables fed from a splitter is never a good sign as it will not work. Two separate cables are required from the type F (screw on) sockets on the rear of the Sky box all the way to the dish mounted LNB though this could take the form of a shotgun cable where the two cables are held together as one similar to the two barrels on a shotgun.

A further consideration is that there are many different variant Sky boxes though these fall into two basic types, the older Sky+HD and the latest Sky Q. Each type requires its own LNB such that Sky+HD boxes will not work with the full band LNB provided for Sky Q and vice versa.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Connecting sky TV in a new house

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
      Hi, we have just moved house, our engineer is coming on Thursday to connect the broadband, we were advised that we will still have access to some channels. When attempting to set up the sky box it keeps showing "no satellite signal being received."

The previous owner had virgin media. the 2 satellite cables come out of the back of the box, connect to a splitter, this splitter was connected to an adaptor which plugged into the aerial socket on the wall.

There appears to be a satellite socket on the wall already. I get the same message whichever way I plug this in.

If anyone could advise me on how to get this working it would be much appreciated! I have a picture of that would help, thanks

Sounds like you need a Sky MDU engineer visit to get your viewing working.

Seems like the communal dish isn't connected to your flat.

This will be covered by Sky's normal home move charge, usually.

MDU installs - Multi Dwelling Unit installs used to be handled by 3rd parties but since 13th September these are handled by Sky's own expert installers.
      seawright likes this.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky