Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky Protection Warranty Scam

This is a discussion on Sky Protection Warranty Scam within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just wanted to make people aware of and would be interested if anyone else has been contacted about this..... Basically ...

GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Protection Warranty Scam

Just wanted to make people aware of and would be interested if anyone else has been contacted about this.....

Basically we took out the Sky Protection Warranty a couple of years ago (thats the "insurance" that covers any problems with your dish or reciever). Anyway, for the past 6 months or so we have been recieving mail from a company regarding renewing our policy. We weren't aware that it was due for renewal, so we phoned Sky. We were told that this mail had nothing to do with Sky and that some third party had somehow got hold of our details.
      My wife has just taken a call (Private number) wanting to speak about our policy. Whoever was calling hung up on my wife when she asked who the caller was and where they were calling from.

Just wanted to make people aware that there seems to be some kind of scam going on. Maybe someone on the inside at Sky has sold on our details?

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yep I get them as well but I have my plan with Sky and I just tell them to go away and if they are foolish enough to with a number I can see then I go The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) and report them
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GPKing View Post
      We were told that this mail had nothing to do with Sky and that some third party had somehow got hold of our details.
      I wonder how that happened...

Just Lekkie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Protection Warranty Scam

I just wanted to warn everyone about the latest scam offered and indeed endorsed by Sky. It is called 'Sky Protect' and administered by Domestic and General Services. They catch people on the phone and make out it can only be set up there and then. My wife got caught by this mob.

Anyone who has taken up this offer or is currently thinking about it should read the terms and conditions, specifically Section 12, sub section G. Section 12 deals with things not covered, sub sec G states ' No Fault Being Found with Your Equipment'. This means that should you have one of those annoying intermittent problems, you are likely to be hit with a large bill, as it is may not be covered.

I had a very heated discussion with a Hollie somebody, a Manager at G&D who said that if you state it may be an intermittent fault, then it will be covered. This is far too ambiguous for me and too open to abuse leading to a lot of very angry people. Also, having had dealings with this crowd before over a different issue, they proved themselves to be a highly unscrupulous bunch who like to move the goalposts to suit themselves. Be warned - Do not touch them with a bargepole, look elsewhere for cover, but do not take G&D with this Sky Protect.

As an engineer myself I know only too well the problems created by intermittent faults. I argued with G&D, take this clause out and maybe even I will think about it. No. Result, stick your policy where the sun does not shine.

They are going to rip people off seriously with this clause. Remember, how many times has someone on the end a phone not taken down all the information, in this case it could very well cost you a lot of money.

DON'T TOUCH IT !!

RobinKidderminster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01562
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky Protection Warranty Scam

Cant find much about SkyProtect (Domestic & General) with whom I am currently in dispute. Has somebody PLEASE had problems with communication on the SkyProtect website/email/comms ???

I cant be the only one ??

Thanks all

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SkyHD/Motorised
      Thanks

With all policies you pay your money and take your choice. If you dont want it dont pay it simple.

BUT...... There could be one instance where you wished you had it and for a few pounds a month its worth it.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Thank you Realist But my question was about the companies communications. Emails from the site are not being answered - the phone is the only option at my expense. Full story to follow when the dispute has been resolved.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SkyHD/Motorised
      Thanks

When comunication breaks down its best to comunicate via registered letter where both parties have written proof.

Best of luck.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Yup - your probably right. I'll contact the arbirator. I'm getting tired of my efforts. Registered mail on its way.
      Cheers

Nobody had problems except me ?????

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
      With all policies you pay your money and take your choice. If you dont want it dont pay it simple.

BUT...... There could be one instance where you wished you had it and for a few pounds a month its worth it.

What instance would that be ? If my equipment is out of warranty, Sky will charge me 60 to send out an engineer to put it right, which may involve a replacement box. Now that's an absolute bargain !

Now why should I pay 69 to 99 a year ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)