Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky TV and sky broadband without phone line options

This is a discussion on Sky TV and sky broadband without phone line options within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Team, I had a few questions I want to understand Context: I have a BT line, and a sky connection ...

deveshm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT line
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky TV and sky broadband without phone line options

Team, I had a few questions I want to understand

Context: I have a BT line, and a sky connection on my TV and a SKY broadband - all are more than 12 months old. I am new to the house (rented)

1) I do not have a box of any kind connected to my TV. It is a wire which goes from the TV into the wall. Does his mean it is some kind of old connection which runs cable or through the phone line, or does this mean there is a box somewhere in the house, I just need to find it

2) I understand from forums that if I now do not have a BT line my TV should still continue to work (will it realy?). But is it also true for the broadband
      3) I am actually thinking of disconnecting both Sky and BT line and go with HO. Any thoughts on that. I rarely use TV and can really supplement it with a NF or something

Also some more info. When I go to the SKY account it shows that I am only registered for the broadband and talk!

Please do advise
      Regards
      D
      Last edited by deveshm; 20-04-17 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added more info

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,168 Times in 2,043 Posts

Re: Sky TV and sky broadband without phone line options

Hello deveshm and welcome to the forums.

I'm not really clear what you are saying there. If I read it correctly you know you have Sky Broadband, but not Sky TV. If so then there isn't anything to worry about.

For most people Sky Broadband & Sky Fibre is supplied using the BT Infrastructure. This is the same as other providers such as TalkTalk. The exceptions are those on the FTTP product being checked out in York by Sky, TalkTalk & City Fibre.

If you wish to change broadband provider then simply call the provider you wish to switch to and they will arrange for Sky's connection to be terminated. The only exception here would be if you were switching to Virgin Media.

Of course if you have been with Sky Broadband for a long time or switched from Be or O2 you may have a BT Telephone contract and Sky Broadband Contract. The process of changing providers is the same. Your new ISP will notify both BT & Sky of the changes. In most cases now you'll need to switch both to the new provider.

Your TV should have an aerial or satellite feed going to it. This will give you access to Freeview or Freesat. This is nothing to do with Sky.

I currently have both Sky TV & Sky Fibre. If I wanted to switch to another Internet Provider I could easily retain Sky TV. It's a different product.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms