Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Strange goings on in My Sky account

This is a discussion on Strange goings on in My Sky account within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I cancelled Sky TV a couple of months ago and have just been paying line rental and (reduced price) standard ...

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Strange goings on in My Sky account

I cancelled Sky TV a couple of months ago and have just been paying line rental and (reduced price) standard fibre. Since cancelling i've not been able to view the 'my offers' page on the Sky website - keeps saying unable to proceed and to call for the latest offers.

Anyway, thought i'd log into my account and have a look around today and noticed something odd under 'My Package' - it's showing line rental and fibre as it should, but also shows 'record' and 'Sky+' - which I know I don't have any more? So thought i'd check my bills; current bill is fine and as expected, but looking ahead to future bills as of next month, i've got a credit for cancellation of line rental, then new line rental added with a new discount? - it's a bit messy here, due to part month payments etc but looking to the next bill, it shows 10 discount on line rental, then 'additional charges' of 10 for 'Sky+'. Overall, there's no difference to the total I will be paying; so just looks like they're going to discount the line rental then charge for Sky+; which is fine, but I've had no communication regarding this at all?

Very weird!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Strange goings on in My Sky account

They should not be charging you for Sky+ if you have not asked for it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      They should not be charging you for Sky+ if you have not asked for it.
      I know this! - the point being that I've not had any dealings with Sky since I called to cancel the TV, we did receive a mail-shot offering to keep the Sky+ feature switched on and give us 12 months standard broadband for free (bit pointless as we have fibre) as long as we keep paying for line rental - however this would also have meant switching from Sky talk freetime to weekends; this also required that we call them to activate it - we didn't, yet something appears to have been put into action on the 10th September as that's when the amendments start from in my account?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looks like someone at Sky thinks they are doing you a favour.

The question now is do you drop them in it?

Edit:
      If it were me I would keep quiet for a couple of months.
      Confirm that recording and BBC Iplayer still work then, if I really didn't want the Sky+ facility, call to cancel this so as to benefit from the discounted line rental.

There again is that just me being sneaky?

Thanks

well, just spent a wasted 90 mins on chat to sky - 2 different advisers (after first chat froze /got cut off), each telling me different things:
      it's an offer added on 10/9/15 for 7 months (?) so I can keep using Sky+ features, however I will need to give notice to cancel it!

Second adviser then tells me i'm <still> being charged for sky+ because i never cancelled it when i cancelled all TV! ( I did) - they then went quiet and cut me off at 11pm!

The extra-annoying part is that the Sky+ features are NOT working on my box anyway!

Looks like I will have to call tomorrow to sort this out - whether I keep it or not, it would have been nice to have been told I was having an offer applied to my account, an offer that I will eventually have to give notice to cancel!

Thanks

Like I say you could really spoil someone’s day. Regarding getting cut off, either the advisers are sticking together or being 11 o'clock just wanted to go home. I suspect the latter.

Did you lose the recording facility at the same time you lost the subscription channels?
      Did you only have one active viewing card? If not the Sky+ subscription could be associated with a second card.
      If it's definitely the correct card ensure it is correctly inserted in the Sky+ HD box and that a satellite signal is being received.
      If all is well but it still is not working the agent you speak to should be able to resend an activation signal. If that doesn't work an immediate cancellation followed by re-instatement should though it might require a supervisor to override the 31 day notice period.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      I know this! - the point being that I've not had any dealings with Sky since I called to cancel the TV, we did receive a mail-shot offering to keep the Sky+ feature switched on and give us 12 months standard broadband for free (bit pointless as we have fibre) as long as we keep paying for line rental - however this would also have meant switching from Sky talk freetime to weekends; this also required that we call them to activate it - we didn't, yet something appears to have been put into action on the 10th September as that's when the amendments start from in my account?
      Sky do this a lot. So basically you have telephone and broadband with sky so they have applied a 10 off offer to your line rental while Sky+ is active and it was probably added by a back office Dept for (7 months?) If it's the same as I've seen on accounts recently.

Basically Sky are manipulating the stats they report to the stock markets by restartng your TV although only for Sky+ and for no extra charge due to the line rental discount. The offer will be removed after the duration 6 or 7 months and you will have paid no extra.

Out you cancel TV and keep telephone and broadband you should be offered basically the same deal for 12 months ie All for 16.40 per month for 12 months.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

@seawright, everything with regards to tv was cancelled correctly, I've had bills since cancelling with no mention of sky+ on, viewing card is inserted correctly, - it's basically been restarted on my account but viewing card has not been enabled. So not having received any notification and not having taken the hd box out of stand by for probably 4 weeks, I've had no idea this has been done on my account on September 10th, and had I not looked online, still wouldn't!

What they've done, why they've done it - am not too bothered, my main gripe is not been informed and according to last night's chat, needing to give notice to cancel when the offer period ends!

@bubblegun, thanks this makes sense (sort of!) - as above, would nice to be advised, and if it's been added to my account, for the functionality to be reinstated on my hd box! Are you able to advise any further on the ending of the offer? You mention that it will be removed when the offer ends - were you referring to just the offer/discount or the + functionality too? It would seem pretty bad to have to cancel / give notice for somethings never asked for or agreed to! Sorry for all the questions!

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      @seawright, everything with regards to tv was cancelled correctly, I've had bills since cancelling with no mention of sky+ on, viewing card is inserted correctly, - it's basically been restarted on my account but viewing card has not been enabled. So not having received any notification and not having taken the hd box out of stand by for probably 4 weeks, I've had no idea this has been done on my account on September 10th, and had I not looked online, still wouldn't!

What they've done, why they've done it - am not too bothered, my main gripe is not been informed and according to last night's chat, needing to give notice to cancel when the offer period ends!

@bubblegun, thanks this makes sense (sort of!) - as above, would nice to be advised, and if it's been added to my account, for the functionality to be reinstated on my hd box! Are you able to advise any further on the ending of the offer? You mention that it will be removed when the offer ends - were you referring to just the offer/discount or the + functionality too? It would seem pretty bad to have to cancel / give notice for somethings never asked for or agreed to! Sorry for all the questions!
      Where there had been no discussion of a recontact then this offer is removed automatically by a promotions department. It is usually done after about 6 months. You can get a similar offer applied for 12 months if you go onto a new telephone and broadband contract for 12 months instead. They usually apply 7 month offer due to the advance billing method so you miss the final month increase.

This is also being done on non-comms (telephone and broadband) accounts but they're applying a 70 credit instead. Very dishonest business reporting but I suppose it's small beer in such a profitable business.
      Last edited by bubblegun; 24-09-15 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Clarity

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

jayhab (24-09-15)

Thanks

One thing that worries me about this practice is if a customer tries to return to Sky (as a new customer) after being away for thirteen months only to find that they have only been away for six months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast