Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Transferring from sky+ box to pc

This is a discussion on Transferring from sky+ box to pc within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, I'm about to get a new sky box next week and I have a 20 minute bbc one ...

Lindsayross is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Transferring from sky+ box to pc

Hi all, I'm about to get a new sky box next week and I have a 20 minute bbc one news clip that I'd really like to keep (as it was my baby's tv debut!). I've searched for ideas on how to go about this but it all seems a bit technical. I don't currently have a DVD recorder other than my PC. The sky box is probably one of the original sky+ boxes. It's ancient. Is there a way of transferring to PC then dvd? Doesn't really matter about DVD if I can have it on PC. Whatever's easiest. Help!

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Transferring from sky+ box to pc

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsayross View Post
      Hi all, I'm about to get a new sky box next week and I have a 20 minute bbc one news clip that I'd really like to keep (as it was my baby's tv debut!). I've searched for ideas on how to go about this but it all seems a bit technical. I don't currently have a DVD recorder other than my PC. The sky box is probably one of the original sky+ boxes. It's ancient. Is there a way of transferring to PC then dvd? Doesn't really matter about DVD if I can have it on PC. Whatever's easiest. Help!
      This old thread describes what you are trying to do (post 10) and with a bbc recording should be possible but you need to be able to remove the hard drive and put it into the PC or buy a caddy to connect it to the PC. Not cheap and will require a bit of technical know-how. There will be lots of youtube videos on removing a hard drive from a Sky+ box and how to put one in a caddy or internally in a PC.
      It might be easier to buy a capture card to rip the video to the PC then store it in the cloud and/or on DVD.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Transferring from sky+ box to pc

If you don't want to open the STB, one of these is probably your cheapest option August VGB100 - External USB Video Capture Card - S Video / Composite to USB Transfer Cable - Grabber Lead For Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You would also need the items listed in 'Frequently bought together' if you don't have them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.