Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Downgrading from Sky Subscription to Sky Freesat

This is a discussion on Downgrading from Sky Subscription to Sky Freesat within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hey all! I appreciate you guys spending your time and reading this, and I appreciate all the responses I may ...

Prestige is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Downgrading from Sky Subscription to Sky Freesat

Hey all!

I appreciate you guys spending your time and reading this, and I appreciate all the responses I may get. Thank you!

I'm looking for a way to cut down my monthly costs, so first thing to go is the Sky Subscription I've been with for 5 years. I've been out of my contract since 2009-2010, so I am free to cancel anytime, right? I want to downgrade to Freesat from Sky. I already have a current Sky setup, the dish, cables and box are all perfect (it has been working the same way since it was installed in early 2008, no problems).

Now, I have a few questions to downgrade; so I no longer have to pay monthly. Again, I sincerely appreciate your response, and sorry for bombarding you guys/girls with questions. But here they are:

1. So, I call Sky and ask to cancel my monthly subscription? From there on, I lose all my subscribed channels, but keep all the free-to-air Freesat channels?
      2. All the channels I should receive after cancelling are: FREESAT from Sky - What can I watch? Is this true? Will I receive all these channels, or will some be missing?
      3. I currently have an old 2008 box (I believe it's the Amstrad DRX550 http://www.digitvsolutions.com/images/skybox.jpg), can I simply purchase a DRX595 and replace my current box myself with the new one? Will everything work the same, plus will I get more channels; including free HD channels?
      4. Can I take my old viewing card out off my current box, and install it on the new DRX595? Are cards paired, or will this cause problems? I do not intend to connect my box to the telephone line (as I have kids in the household, who will stack up those bills on interactive - I don't blame them, I used to do the same in my days).

The numbered-list are all my questions, and after doing all the above, will I have pretty much downgraded to Freesat from Sky? Are there any other things I have not considered, and are there any potential problems?

Thank you very much for reading, and I so appreciate it! Thank you!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Downgrading from Sky Subscription to Sky Freesat

1. 31 days notice is required. After this time you will no longer be able to watch the subscription channels.

2. The list of channels which you can watch is correct. That page is on Sky's website. As it is advertising a service they will be ensuring that it is regularly updated.

3 & 4: If you are looking to downgrade to 'Freesat from Sky' and get the DRX595, I would suggest getting the DRX595 first. This way you can pair your viewing card to the STB before cancelling the contract. Remember too that you will need to be out of contract and to give 31 days notice. Looking at the age of your STB though, I suspect that you are most likely to be out of contract already.

Anything extra?

Depending on your circumstances, why not consider getting a Freeview+ HD STB? You will need to arrange for an additional feed (and possibly a new LNB with more than one port), but you will be able to record the content off the satellites. You could consider this a future goal.

There are a handful of channels which you cannot get on Freeview (i.e. Channel 5 HD) so check to see if those are something that you might be interested in first. However you could utilise the Catch up TV services (i.e. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD & later Demand Five).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Prestige (15-05-13)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Anything extra?Depending on your circumstances, why not consider getting a Freeview+ HD STB? You will need to arrange for an additional feed (and possibly a new LNB with more than one port), but you will be able to record the content off the satellites. You could consider this a future goal.There are a handful of channels which you cannot get on Freeview (i.e. Channel 5 HD) so check to see if those are something that you might be interested in first. However you could utilise the Catch up TV services (i.e. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD & later Demand Five).
      Surely Freeview+ uses a terrestrial aerial though it would give access to Dave and maybe other channels which are not available on Freesat.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Apologies - it's bed time - I meant Freesat+ HD.

There are two Freesat services:

• Freesat from Sky
      • Freesat

Both use the same group of Sattelites.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Prestige is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you so much for your reply once again, I sincerely appreciate the support you provide. Thank you very much!

So I should purchase the DRX595, and put in my viewing card into the new set before cancelling the subscription? I could also use this form at the same time, right? Sky Help Forum - On Screen Message "Wrong Card for Set-top Box" - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum Thank you very much for the tip, it makes perfect sense!

Also, sorry for the bother; but I have one more question, sorry about this. The DRX595 uses a miniDish, but if I connect my regular Sky dish, will it be perfectly fine? It should work fine right? As on the back of my current STB (DRX550), it states:

• DRX550 = "Dish Input 13/18V --- 350mA max." whereas on the DRX595 it states;
      • DRX595 = "Dish Input 13/18V --- 250mA max."

The difference is the 350mA max on my current box, compared to the DRX595, where the max is 250mA. Honestly, I'm not sure what this measures; but it could cause problems, perhaps? If this is nothing to worry about, then I suppose it should be fine, right? Sorry about the bother.

Thank you so much, I so appreciate it.

About the upgrade to Freesat+HD, I will definitely consider it as a future goal. As at the moment, I'm working on keeping costs low. I love the suggestion though, will definitely look into it and consider it as an alternative. I do love the Sky EPG though, haha.

Again, thank you so much!

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Thanks

Yes you can re-pair your viewing card to the DRX595 online at Activate my channels but you will not be able to do this once you have cancelled your subscription. I suspect that the Sky dish you already have is a mini-dish and have not heard of any LNBs that require more than 250mA per feed.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Terminating a Sky subscription does not convert a Sky Viewing Card to a Freesat from Sky card. It may look the same as a Freesat from Sky card but the big difference is it will be removed from the Sky Viewing Card database and therefore the connection between the user address and the card disappears. It will continue to allow access to FTV channels but it will be a problem if you want to access BT Sports via satellite as BT won't be able to verify your card exists because it is no longer tagged as 'active' although this may not occur instantly. If this isn't a problem then you will be OK until Sky change their Viewing Cards when you will have to buy a Freesat from Sky card when you will be officially active again.