Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Strange Missing Channels Issue.

This is a discussion on Strange Missing Channels Issue. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi All. I posted this on the official Sky Forum and got absolutely no sense at all, so I'm hoping ...

prospero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01673
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Strange Missing Channels Issue.

Hi All.

I posted this on the official Sky Forum and got absolutely no sense at all, so I'm hoping there is more expertise in the indie world.

A bit of background. I'm using a bog-standard Digibox. For the last few years I've had intermittent probs with reception. I got a guy in to realign the dish and this improved things for a while.
      This year it's been particularly bad. One dark cloud and it all went pear-shaped. I dawned on me that a tree in the yard might not be helping matters, so I took a saw and gave it a darn good pruning. This improved things no end. All channels working.
      But.... A week or two ago I seemed to lose certain channels. I can't get them come rain or shine. Funny thing is, they are not the channels that were the first to drop out before during heavy weather. E.G. The Military channel used to fail first. But Discovery always used to keep going. I can always get MC now, but never Discovery.
      I can't get channels 520-525 at all. No Satellite Signal etc. I can get History+1, but not History. Quite a few others are missing and always the same ones. Even Sky Intro on 998.
      Now I'm no techie, but it seems to me the problem is not the system as a whole. It works fine on the channels were it works, if that makes sense.
      Advice from Sky got no further than "have you tried turning it off and on again".
      Yes I have tried that. Also forcing a software update. made no difference.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be enormously grateful.

The box is a Grundig btw.

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Strange Missing Channels Issue.

Have a look here SKY DIGITAL CHANNEL LIST

Is the missing channels on the H or V frequencies?

If you see a pattern then your LNB (the part on the end of the dish) has given up and needs replaced.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to newbuilder For This Useful Post:

prospero (08-12-12)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If the problem occured suddenly, is it possible that something could have happened to misalign the dish again, high winds or something hitting it. Not all channels are transmitted on the same satellite so a slight dish misalignment could have a greater effect on some channels than others.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

prospero (08-12-12)

prospero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01673
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks Guys. That's service for you.

Looking though the channel list there is a pattern. It appears to be the H channels that are giving the problem. So I can get Dave, but not ja vu.

Time to track down my local friendly aerial man for a new LNB methinks......

Thanks again.