Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky + HD Additional Card!!!

This is a discussion on Sky + HD Additional Card!!! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Well, I never thought it would be so hard to spend money with Sky!! I have two HD boxes at ...

swanside is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoneycroft
      Broadband ISP: Virginmedia 100 meg
      Router: Virginmedia Superhub
      Sky TV: Two, Sky + HD
      Thanks

Sky + HD Additional Card!!!

Well, I never thought it would be so hard to spend money with Sky!!

I have two HD boxes at present, My main box and my multiroom box and pay 85 a month for my package.
      I have a spare box and put it in my lads room tonight, rang sky and asked if they could set it up on a card I got from my mate who went to virgin, or if they could send me a new card out, (Thinking they could set it up on my mates card he gave me to save time, and put it on my account!!!).
      This could not be done, and so they said they could send out a new card, but my lad could only watch what was on the display on my other box on my multiroom.
      Thinking this was a bit stupid, I asked why and explained that I would pay the extra 10.25 a month so he could have his own box, in his bedroom, connected to my broadband.
      I was then told, that the box needs to be plugged in to the telephone socket!! I said man, its the 21st century, we have broadband internet. my other boxes are connected to the internet and not plugged in to the phone line!!
      Then I was told, they need to be plugged in to the telephone! I explained to this guy that Sky came out, swapped my box and set it up on my broadband so I could get the On Demand and did not plug it in to the telephone?
      With this, he said oh, I dont know!!!!

So, I need some advice, Shall I go to Virgin, and get the boxes from them and installed in my lads room as well as multiroom, or are sky really still relying on telephone lines to stop the corruption of multiroom boxes being installed in separate dwellings, even though they are connected to the broadband??
      Last edited by swanside; 04-12-12 at 11:04 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky + HD Additional Card!!!

Sky insist on having both boxes connected to the same phone line that is registered to your Sky account. This is to stop people getting a second Sky box on multi-room, and then giving or selling it to a neighbour or friend. Sky periodically send signals to multi-room boxes instructing them to 'phone home' (on an 0800 number), and if they continually fail to do so, Sky will charge your account for a second full installation at 85 a month. It's impossible for Sky to know the geographical position of a box from an internet connection unless they fit all their boxes with GPS. Sky told you the Terms and Conditions when you placed the order - don't be surprised when they start charging you 85 a month for the second box (they'll send you a warning letter first).
      Scubbie likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Old_nick For This Useful Post:

swanside (04-12-12)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, it is basically the same as the guy on the phone was saying.
      What I dont understand is why the sky engineer didn't plug the box into the phone line when he installed it, and also they cant see the IP address of the box that is plugged into the broadband.

Within the next couple of months, we are looking to remove our phone system, as 99% of the calls to the house now come from mobiles to mobiles, as its easier to reach somebody on there mobile as they may not be at home anyway, so it starts to make sense that the phones to house holds will one day be redundant.
      I work away from home and use Skype to ring home, again, I use it to contact a mobile using Skype to Skype.

I think sky need to start at looking to upgrade there systems to recognise that we are now using broadband and take advantage of this. Its got to be quicker and easier.

And yep, if they do send me a warning letter or charge me another 85, the card will be removed and sent back to them first class recorded.

Thanks for the advise and the heads up on any forthcoming warning letters. Maybe now that I have rang them, they will jump on me!!!!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I had 2 boxes, none were connected due to the fact we were decorating.

Sky sent me a couple of warning letters and then proceeded to charge me a duplicate TV subscription for the 2nd box on Multiroom.

I got one of these and resolved the issue wirelessly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WIRELESS...4615542&sr=8-3

I then rang Sky up after both boxes were connected and got the money refunded against the account as a credit.

Its not up to Sky to use GPS or worry about the phonelines, its in the T&Cs for Multiroom.

The other alternative is to just have the one box, but even as a new or existing customer, the requirement is there for the first 12 months to have it connected via the phoneline.

Maybe in the future, the internet could be used, as it would cut down on work for the Sky installer in the first place I guess.

As to why he never did the telephone bit I have no idea, but if you want the Multiroom subscription, you are going to have to sort it or you will just receive the letters.

To be fair, it took about 4 months before Sky actually did anything to me after the threats, so they do give you plenty of time to sort it out.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      the requirement is there for the first 12 months to have it connected via the phoneline.
      Thanks for that, I have been with Sky for about 5 years now, and I dont think I have agreed to a new contract in that 5 year period.
      Maybe its because I want to have an additional card from them!!
      I dont know.
      I have sent an email to Sky asking them, and as soon as I get a reply, I will let you know what they say.
      Otherwise, it looks like my lad is going under the floors with a telephone cable at the weekend!!

Cheers
      Swanny.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I think although not positive.

A new customer / exisiting has to have the box connected to the phoneline for the first 12 months, with or without Multiroom.

A new customer / exisiting has to have the Multiroom box connected to the phoneline for as long as the Multiroom subscription is in place.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

swanside (04-12-12)

Thanks

OK, Thanks.
      Looks like its extensions getting installed.

SCrewfix, here I come

Cheers

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Get the wireless thingy I linked to if you cannot be bothered with all the hassle?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I think although not positive.

A new customer / exisiting has to have the box connected to the phoneline for the first 12 months, with or without Multiroom.

A new customer / exisiting has to have the Multiroom box connected to the phoneline for as long as the Multiroom subscription is in place.
      For a new customer with just one box, there is room for movement on this.
      When i first joined sky, i didn't have an active landline at the property.
      I had to pay a 25 'no phone line connection' fee.

That was in 2008 though.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky originally connected their boxes to the phone lines so that they could download their viewer's viewing habits and sell the data to interested parties, but Sky would waive this requirement for a one-off payment. When multi-output LNBs and Sky boxes became more affordable, Sky brought in Multi-room, and with multi-room a phone line connection on all boxes is mandatory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast