Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Box Froze and Now Un-Responsive?

This is a discussion on Box Froze and Now Un-Responsive? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Wondered if you could help me as I can't work it out! My parents sky+ HD box has become ...

Richy23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Box Froze and Now Un-Responsive?

Hi

Wondered if you could help me as I can't work it out! My parents sky+ HD box has become unresponsive, and I'll try and explain as best as I can!

They say the picture froze one night, and then the box completely froze as well. They then unplugged the box and now apart from being able to turn the box on using the remote, it does nothing else. They can't turn it off, there's no picture through the usual source either! I've tried unplugging the HDMI cable and back in etc but no luck!

Hoping someone might have an idea or point us in the right direction,

Thank you!

2. Advertisement
      bmitie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Re: Box Froze and Now Un-Responsive?

you don't say make and model of box, that is important but can you try this.

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

2. Locate the left and right arrow buttons either side of the select button on the front/top of the box.

3. Press and hold both the left and right arrow buttons in together, and while holding power the box back on and continue to hold the buttons after the red light comes back on.

4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle.

5. Let go the buttons then press select button on the box twice.

6. You should see the blue/green circle light moving anti-clockwise and the record and play lights in the centre flashing on/off.

7. Once the lights go off, the box will have rebooted and you will now only have the red standby light lit on the box.

8. If you can now wait 3 minutes before switching the box back on from standby to see if the fault has resolved

and if this fails you need to ring sky as its a replacement box issue, and if it has the new epg then you can blame that and get a free box

Richy23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Thank you, I'm not sure what kind of box it is I'm afraid - can i check that without having a picture?

Also, will the method you describe wipe programmes or not?

Thanks!

bmitie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

yes this method is a factory reset it will wipe the drive. if you can press menu and it appears then you can check model etc . otherwise its a case of looking round the back, easier said than done. at the moment the box is dead, you could try a few more options if there are programmes to be saved. a forced software update may bring it back. you could ring sky and they may talk you through a few ideas, you could double check the remote and make sure sky button is selected, the fault you describe usually means a dead duck, sky will take box back and use the rs232 to reset it and then it becomes a re-furb. sky wont allow us punters to use the rs232 trick.

ok

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

If there's even a small chance a forced update will work, why not try that first?
      It won't wipe any of your recordings.

With the box switched off at the mains, hold down the back-up button on the box & switch the mains back on.
      Continue to hold the back-up button until all the lights on the front come on.
      You should see an 'updating software' message on screen. This takes about 15 minutes to complete.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Otherwise, we need to know the make & model number, which is either printed on the rear panel or on a label underneath.

e.g. Amstrad DRX890
      Thomson DSi8215

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is a good chance the Enhanced EPG has screwed it up, it will not be the first one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.