Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Does this faceplate have a SKY connector?

This is a discussion on Does this faceplate have a SKY connector? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I dont get it. I live in a building where other people have sky through a communal dish (nobody can ...

lamanetu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Does this faceplate have a SKY connector?

I dont get it. I live in a building where other people have sky through a communal dish (nobody can install its own dish) so Im thinking that means every apartment has a faceplate with a normal tv aerial entry and a satellite entry. But mine (see the picture attached) seems to have 2 aerial entries. The wire that you see is plugged into an aerial entry and it looks like the one next to it is also an aerial entry but I cant plug my sky wire into it (back at my old place the satellite entry looked different, it was coming out of the wall a bit). Now im thinking that my wall faceplate must have a satellite entry since other people in the building can get sky through a communal dish right? It cant be that im the only one that does not have this. I read somewhere that both aerial and satellite signal come down from top of the building through 1 wire and the faceplate just splits the signal into 2, hence the 2 entries. So is it the case that I just need to call an electrician and ask him to replace the current faceplate (which seems to be twin aerial) with one that has a sat/aerial entry? That should be easy to do if the satellite signal comes down through just 1 wire. He just needs to split the signals right?

Alternatively is there a way of connecting my sky box to that empty entry to you see in the picture? Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does this faceplate have a SKY connector?-tower-hamlets-20121120-00008.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Does this faceplate have a SKY connector?

Have you asked your landlord, that should be your first port of call.

If you wish to do it yourself however, then read on...

Try connecting a TV to both sockets to test if you can receive a freeview signal? If you can receive a reasonable freeview signal from both sockets, then they are unlikely to be connected to a satellite dish.

If one of the sockets doesn't give a freeview signal, then it could be connected to a dish, in which case find a RF cable, snip one end off, and replace it with an F connector, they are very cheap and are easy to fit.

Useful links: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f+connector

Edit: if it works, you might want to consider replacing the faceplate and buying (or making) a new cable with two F connectors, and most importantly with the correct grade of cable, as the cable that you snip an RF plug off, should work, but won't be the correct grade. Also, don't use more cable that you think you need, as the signal will degrade more on longer cables (especially the wrong type of cable).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Are you sure you don't have a satellite connection elsewhere? In a cupboard or suchlike. It is possible you have a terrestrial aerial and a FM radio output on the plate you show. Find out how your next door neighbour is connecting to Sky.

He just needs to split the signals right?
      It is not quite as simple as that, you can't just put a splitter on a dish feed and get two feeds.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lamanetu View Post
      I just need to call an electrician
      An electrician deals with electrical wiring. This is a job for a satellite TV installer who understands coaxial cable and everything else associated with satellite TV.

The socket in your photo was originally designed for medium wave radio. It was later pressed into service for VHF TV, then UHF TV, but it's really not suitable. It is totally unsuitable for satellite LNB signals and could result in "some programmes missing".

Look behind the plate and inspect the cable. If it's not double-screened, it hasn't been installed for satellite TV signals.
      Coaxial cable comparison