Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky TV wiring - the skirting board dilemma

This is a discussion on Sky TV wiring - the skirting board dilemma within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, new user here just wanting some advice about my upcoming Sky TV installation at my new house. Basically the ...

daniel.gaunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky TV wiring - the skirting board dilemma

Hi, new user here just wanting some advice about my upcoming Sky TV installation at my new house.

Basically the situation is that the wall where the dish will be installed and the wall where the TV is are on opposite sides of the room, and therefore we may potentially have to run the wire from the point drilled through the wall, along the skirting board, over a door frame, along more skirting board, and then into the box/TV. With this being a rented house, I'm unsure of how happy the landlord would be about tacking the wire to the skirt. It also has solid oak flooring so under the carpet isn't an option.

I was wondering if anyone had any alternative ideas, and could anyone tell me if they think the following solution might work?

Would it be possible to have the Sky box somewhere near the wall point, connect a video sender and one of those remote receivers to the box and send the video to the TV, and the remote signal from the tv to the box? Or even if just the video sender, I'm sure we could manage pointing the sky remote at the box if it wasn't near the tv.

Has anyone else got a similar set up. Any recommendations or ideas appreciated!

Dan

2. Advertisement
      sparky1292 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky TV wiring - the skirting board dilemma

I have in the past seen sky put the dish on the wall and run the cable up the wall and into the loft. Then drill a second hole on the other side of the wall and run the cable back down the wall and back into the house where you want it. This is how the will Proberly do it. I also have wooden flooring and mines rented.

Even in my house the 3rd bedroom is the furthest from the dish and they went through the loft and back out to feed the cabel into that room.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky TV wiring - the skirting board dilemma

You could do it with a video sender, but a quality one capable of HD will cost about 150 - Wireless HD HDMI 1080p AV Sender 5GHz Kit with IR Sensor - WIRELESS-5G-HD-KIT - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads

Not all installers will go into a loft(Health & Safety) so don't count on that, even if you have a loft available. Some installers will throw the cables over the roof and through the wall on the other side of the house. This is OK provided it is properly clipped, but can store up problems if left loose.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.