Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with sky cables in rental

This is a discussion on Help with sky cables in rental within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I hope someone can offer some advice. We are moving to a rental house on Monday, the house has ...

dinky73 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help with sky cables in rental

Hi I hope someone can offer some advice. We are moving to a rental house on Monday, the house has a SKY dish and two cables coming in to the lounge. The landlord said he thought there were also sky cables in the dining area and main bedroom.

We are fine with connecting our sky+ box to the 2 cables in the lounge but there is also just 1 cable coming in to the main bedroom (not sure of the technical name but it has a screw type end on it, like the cables that screw into back of sky box). There isn't an actual cable in dining room/kitchen but there is a wall socket with two points that are also screw type i.e not like a male/female aerial socket), no cables though just a wall socket.

We have no idea what these are, old multi room connections maybe? Landlord none the wiser. We would like sky on tv in the kitchen/dining area and in main bedroom but not sure how to connect up. We don't want multi room just the ability to get the sky signal on the tv and use a magic eye maybe.

Thanks and sorry for not being more specific.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Help with sky cables in rental

We are fine with connecting our sky+ box to the 2 cables in the lounge but there is also just 1 cable coming in to the main bedroom (not sure of the technical name but it has a screw type end on it, like the cables that screw into back of sky box). There isn't an actual cable in dining room/kitchen but there is a wall socket with two points that are also screw type i.e not like a male/female aerial socket), no cables though just a wall socket.
      The connector is called an F connector

Does the socket in the dining room/kitchen look like it would accept the F connector?

If so then you can get the leads from Maplins etc or online or even make them yourself once you have bought the bits.

I would look at the dish, and then see how many cables come off it, and then route them back to the house.

ie if 2 cables go to the dining room/kitchen then chances are the previous person just made a neater job, and is resolved as above.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

As NewsreadeR has suggested, ascertain what's coming from the dish LNB into the house, and where. You can worry about everything else later. Co-axial cable from RF2 on the digibox to other tv's ( with a splitter ) is normal. However, as it's a rented house, you may not wish extra cables, in which case a wireless videosender would be an option. Additional receiver(s) are usually available so that you can send the signal to more than one remote tv.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi

We went back to the property today (we move in properly tomorrow) and checked all the the cables. The sky dish seems to have 3 pairs of cables, one pair goes to the lounge, one pair to the dining room & one pair to the main bedroom.

The sockets in the dining room do look like they would accept an F-connector.

My question really is what do we need cable wise to get SKY on the dining room and main bedroom TV's. Setting up the sky box in the lounge looks fine but I'm not sure what we need to do to get sky on the tv's elsewhere. We used magic eyes in our current house but our main aerial was somehow connected to the sky dish so the sky signal came through to all tc aerial points, we just used a magic eye so we could change channels.

The set up in the rental looks very different, we didn't use f-connector cables ont he extra tv's in our current house.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
      Blog Entries

How many actual Sky boxes do you have?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

We have one SKY+ box which we will connect in the lounge. We have sky in various rooms in our current house because the sky signal was somehow connected to our main serial and sky came through on every tv point. We just used magic eyes to change channels in the other rooms.

The set up in the rental is different with different cabling so we have no idea how to connect to other tv's and what we will need. Clearly there are cables from the box into the room but do we actually need sky boxes in the other rooms?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry I meant clearly there are cables from the dish into the other rooms. I'm presuming we need more sky boxes to connect them to? We don't want a multi room setup, just the sky picture from the main box in other rooms.

Thanks

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dinky73 View Post
      Sorry I meant clearly there are cables from the dish into the other rooms. I'm presuming we need more sky boxes to connect them to? We don't want a multi room setup, just the sky picture from the main box in other rooms.

Thanks
      With the current setup, you will need additional boxes to be able to view tv in those rooms. Other options mentioned such as video senders and running coax from the Sky+ box will be cheaper solutions overall.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you don't want to have multiroom or any additional boxes then you are going to have to use magic eye / video sender type equipment.

tbh - That's nothing that I am familiar with, hopefully someone else can advise on how best to do it.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Cable method is explained here:
      Connect Sky to other rooms.
      You could use ultra-thin cable. More easily tacked along skirting boards and less visible.
      Ultra-thin cable.