Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Do sky give free upgrades from white Sky+ boxes without the HD pack?

This is a discussion on Do sky give free upgrades from white Sky+ boxes without the HD pack? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I recently rejoined sky as part of an offer but my old white box is acting up a bit and ...

tech3475 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do sky give free upgrades from white Sky+ boxes without the HD pack?

I recently rejoined sky as part of an offer but my old white box is acting up a bit and I'm interested in Anytime+ but not paying for the HD pack.

Does anyone know if Sky give free upgrades under conditions besides leaving or the HD pack?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,218 Times in 2,087 Posts

Re: Do sky give free upgrades from white Sky+ boxes without the HD pack?

Offers like this vary between customers. There is a formulae that Sky uses, but the best option is for you to navigate to the Sky website, log in and take a look at the upgrade options in the 'My Sky' section.

In short, they do offer a Sky+ HD STB for free if it is taken with the HD package for some people.

With the announcement this morning of the BBC iPlayer & ITV Players being added, also the expansion of Anytime+ to anyone with Broadband (Sky or otherwise) I have added the following comments:

You wish to seriously consider how much storage capacity you would like too. The standard Sky+ HD STB uses a 500GB drive and allows you to record 250GB of programming material. The 1TB Sky+ HD STB has a 1.5TB drive, but allows you to record 1TB of programming material.

Instructions are available on this site for this but, but I, like many others, have replaced the standard 500GB drive and replaced it with a 2TB drive. This gives me over 1.5TB of storage capacity.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

tech3475 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, I had a look and it seems that for now the hd pack would be my only option for a 'free' box.

I had also considered buying a new hdd in the past but for the amount of money a replacement would cost I might as well buy a second hand hd box on eBay.

Ryan1992 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wishaw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I just had a look to see what it would cost for us to upgrade our white Sky + box, but the only options it gives us is ones that have ( w/ HD pack) in the title too

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You could get a potential 45 - 50 cashback by upgrading through quidco or topcashback at the moment, although cashbacks are never 100% guaranteed (deleting all cookies first makes tracking more reliable) and Sky can be slow paying out, and they had a better cashback offer a few months ago.